Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney today announced the launch of its own GIF app, called Disney GIF, that will act as a keyboard extension and allow users to share a huge back catalogue of Disney- and Pixar-themed GIFs in Message, email, and various social networks (via TechCrunch). With today's launch, the app includes over 200 GIFs, with the company promising more to be added as time goes by.

GIFs ready at launch include moments from films like Frozen, The Lion King, and the newly-released Pixar feature Inside Out. The app will also feature content from studios owned under the Disney corporate umbrella, with GIFs from movies like Star Wars and even ABC shows like Scandal and Once Upon a Time.

disney-gif-800x623.jpg

Perhaps taking a cue from the emotion-based Inside Out, the app lets users browse by emotional status, film, or see what's currently trending with users around the world. Although the app is free to download, anyone interested in more premium content from the popular film Frozen can put down $0.99 for one of two themed packs from the animated musical.

The move is an interesting one, especially considering the rejection of app developer Matt Cheetham's app GIF Finder earlier in the year, due to the fact that it "includes content or features that resemble various well-known, third-party marks, including Disney characters." Although the app's rejection was "largely due" to other entertainment properties, Disney's desire to be included in the meme- and GIF-generating world, and still own complete control over the output, makes the debut of Disney GIF more understandable.

Disney GIF can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Disney Launches 'Disney GIF' Keyboard on iOS for Easy GIF Sharing

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Why exactly is Disney releasing this an interesting move when compared to the GIF Finder app? Can only one custom keyboard that provides GIFs be considered worthy for the App Store? The rejection of the app had nothing to do with Disney, it wasn't their properties that needed to be removed to be approved.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's never been easier to have entire conversations with nothing but emotional imagery and a distinct lack of coherence!

Disney GIFs.png

Last edited:
Reactions: darkknight14

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Downloaded the app. It's annoying how it requires at least 5 taps to insert a GIF:
1 - Tap the globe
2 - Tap the Disney keyboard
3 - Tap the GIF (assuming it's a favorite - could take several more taps to reach it if it isn't)
4 - Tap the spot where you want to insert it.
5 - Tap "paste"

Step numbers 4 and 5 don't exist for emoji's - they shouldn't exist for GIFs either.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Downloaded the app. It's annoying how it requires at least 5 taps to insert a GIF:
1 - Tap the globe
2 - Tap the Disney keyboard
3 - Tap the GIF (assuming it's a favorite - could take several more taps to reach it if it isn't)
4 - Tap the spot where you want to insert it.
5 - Tap "paste"

Step numbers 4 and 5 don't exist for emoji's - they shouldn't exist for GIFs either.

Is is possible to insert GIFs on the forums here using GIF keyboard on an iPad?

I've tried and failed.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I think we all know that our intended use for Disney gifs align perfectly with their marketing team. I doubt you will have trouble finding that perfect animation now.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Not available in the UK store for me yet… *Imagines Grumpy of the Seven Dwarfs GIF*

Reactions: nicho

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
if Disney took todays animation technologies and made a 2D movie using hand drawn characters and parallax old-school background layers i think i'd be excited to see it. end credits to Wall-E are close, but was more iconographic and simpler than something like say, Pinocchio.. maybe somebody knows of some, i know there are a lot of short films i haven't seen or kept up with.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Sorry, I just don't do third party keyboards due to the security risk. I know Disney probably wouldn't misuse the info I am typing, but all it takes is one unscrupulous person working in IT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.