Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LLyncoed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
MacMall now has pre-configured Intel-based Macs with Microsoft Windows XP
For an additional $100 above the regular price of an Intel-based Mac, PC Mall and MacMall will partition the hard drive and install Microsoft Windows XP Home. For an additional $150 above the regular price of an Intel-based Mac, PC Mall and MacMall will partition the hard drive of a new Mac and install Microsoft Windows XP Pro
http://www.macmall.com/

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
do you get to choose how much space each OS gets? or can u change it even when its installed?:confused:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
$150 for XP pro is only about $30 more than what the OS is going for. $30 for the install isn't that bad. I wouldn't pay for it, but for the less daring this isn't a bad deal.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
But remember the OS X Public Beta. It expired when the computer's clock hit a certain date...so what's to stop Apple from doing this. They were very specific about it not being used for anything commercial- because it WILL expire!

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
iGary said:
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit™.

FUNNY!

I had that gag reflex going when I read it.

Interesting that someone is selling a product with a major part of it running on a beta!?!? Is this a first? I can't remember seeing someone selling an iMac running the beta for Tiger or even OSX? Weird if you ask me. course, Mac Mall will get another sale when they have to return to get the final version so they can run it at least somewhat bug free. (Boot Camp is always going to have bugs...it runs Windows!:D )

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I think this is a good deal for anyone who a) doesn't feel comfortable trying to do the install themselves (not that it's overly hard) and b) those who don't have a copy of XP. This will save a lot of hassle for some people, as I've already seen many threads where people are asking where they can find cheap copies of XP. This idea is of course no good if they're just looking for XP itself and already have the Mac, mind you, but still, I'm sure it will help many people. ;) :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
tonyl said:
It's only XP home, not worth it.

You should really read an article in its entirety before posting your thoughts on it... :p ;) :cool:

For an additional $150 above the regular price of an Intel-based Mac, PC Mall and MacMall will partition the hard drive of a new Mac and install Microsoft Windows XP Pro

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Apple's Website said:
Warning: Boot Camp Beta is preview software licensed for use on a trial basis for a limited time. Do not use Boot Camp Beta in a commercial operating environment...

It's worth no more than the OEM price of Windows XP...since they'll get screwed over after the time runs out.

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
grapes911 said:
You did read the thread or link at all, did you?

$100 is for Home, $150 for Pro. You can buy one upgrade version for only $50 for a Pro, search on ebay.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
tonyl said:
$100 is for Home, $150 for Pro. You can buy one upgrade version for only $50 for a Pro, search on ebay.

1. That didn't answer my question.
2. This is a full version (which apple recommends), not an upgrade version which takes extra work to install with boot camp.
3. XP pro is going for $120. Plus, you have to pay for the install.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
I was wondering who was going to be the first reseller to do this. I'm just glad to see they're not ripping off the customers. It's not a bad deal at all for anyone who is looking to buy an Intel Mac and doesn't have a version of Windows.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
It's only not a ripoff if they offer a free upgrade to Leopard for all of the buyers...or there are going to be a LOT of very unhappy people when BC stops working.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
StealthRider said:
It's only not a ripoff if they offer a free upgrade to Leopard for all of the buyers...or there are going to be a LOT of very unhappy people when BC stops working.
I don't see how you keep going on about this. I have read anywhere that Apple is canceling the beta after a certain time period, have you? Even if they are, the users are still going to be able to use Windows for a certain amount of time so they're not getting entirely ripped off. Also, I think that most people buying an Intel Mac for this purpose would also upgrade to Leopard at sometime, so there's actually no problem at all for those users. I'm not saying that everyone will upgrade but I think most will.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Josh396 said:
Also, I think that most people buying an Intel Mac for this purpose would also upgrade to Leopard at sometime, so there's actually no problem at all for those users. I'm not saying that everyone will upgrade but I think most will.

And if they're unsure, Apple will "help" them make their decision. ;) :D

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Josh396 said:
I don't see how you keep going on about this. I have read anywhere that Apple is canceling the beta after a certain time period, have you?

Did you read the material I posted from the Apple Support document? Or does "limited time" not really mean "limited time"? :rolleyes:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
StealthRider said:
Did you read the material I posted from the Apple Support document?
I didn't. Where did you post this? I don't see it here. :confused:

StealthRider said:
Or does "limited time" not really mean "limited time"? :rolleyes:
Limited time could mean that this beta will only work until the next beta version comes out. It could also mean that the beta will only work until a free, stable, and Apple supported version comes out. Only Apple really knows.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Here's the full paragraph, taken from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

I highlighted the important sentences.

Warning: Boot Camp Beta is preview software licensed for use on a trial basis for a limited time. Do not use Boot Camp Beta in a commercial operating environment or with important data. You should back up all of your data before installing this software and regularly back up data while using the software. Your rights to use Boot Camp Beta are subject to acceptance of the terms of the software license agreement that accompanies the software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.