Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mercedes-Benz has issued an internal announcement to U.S. dealers (via C450 AMG) that confirms CarPlay will be supported in a number of 2016 model year vehicles starting with December 1, 2015 or January 8, 2016 production or later.

Mercedes-Benz-CarPlay-2016.jpg

CarPlay can be controlled using the central controller or touchpad, if equipped, on supported Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Siri voice commands can be activated by pressing the voice control button on the steering wheel.

CarPlay works with compatible iPhones plugged into a specific USB port on supported Mercedes-Benz vehicles, labeled "2" below on the right.
Mercedes-Benz-CarPlay-2016-USB-250x71.jpg
Apple CarPlay® will be a completely different interface than the customary Mercedes-Benz infotainment. The customer will not be able to use the Mercedes-Benz headunit functions at the same time as CarPlay®. For example, use of the Spotify app cannot be done simultaneously with COMAND Navigation.
CarPlay is available in 2016 CLA, GLA and B-Class vehicles with December 1, 2015 production or later as a standalone $350 package or "Multimedia Package with Smartphone Integration" upgrade.

Apple's in-dash software is also available in the 2016 E400 Coupe, E550 Coupe, E400 Cabriolet, E550 Cabriolet and CLS400 Coupe with December 1, 2015 production or later with the "Premium 1" or "Premium 2" equipment package ($3,650-$4,080).

CarPlay is included standard with COMAND Navigation in 2016 CLS550 Coupe and CLS63 S Coupe models with December 1, 2015 production or later, and 2016 GLE400, GLE450 Coupe, GLE63 and GLE63 S models with January 8, 2016 production or later.

Mercedes-Benz 2016 U.S. CarPlay Vehicles

December 1, 2015 or Later

- 2016 B-Class
- 2016 CLA
- 2016 CLS400
- 2016 CLS550
- 2016 CLS63 S
- 2016 E400 Coupe
- 2016 E550 Coupe
- 2016 E400 Cabriolet
- 2016 E550 Cabriolet
- 2016 GLA
January 8, 2016 or Later

- 2016 GLE300d
- 2016 GLE350
- 2016 GLE400
- 2016 GLE450
- 2016 GLE63
- 2016 GLE63 S
CarPlay provides hands-free or eyes-free access to Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Podcasts and other third-party apps including Spotify, Rdio, iHeartRadio, CBS Radio and MLB At Bat. The platform also uses Siri voice control and interfaces with your vehicle's knobs, dials and buttons for safer access to common iPhone features.

CarPlay is or will soon be available in a wide range of 2016 U.S. vehicles from Audi, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ferrari, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Volkswagen and Volvo. Apple lists over a dozen other committed CarPlay partners on its website.

CarPlay is compatible with the iPhone 5 or later running iOS 8 or newer.

Article Link: Mercedes-Benz Shares Full Lineup of 2016 U.S. CarPlay Vehicles

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Not that I'd consider a MB, but this is great news, their interface was horrific. Too much going on and MB engineers had no idea what they were doing with the software.

Reactions: ryanide

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
So nice of them to exclude the low end models like the C class. I used to own an SLK, also excluded. Thanks, Mercedes, for being out to touch with the youth and forward progress. ::eyeroll::

Reactions: hondo77 and Huracan

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
BMW is so far ahead of every other manufacturer in terms of infotainment technology / software. That LCD in the MB looks like garbage, as does the interior.

Replacing the MB system with carplay is probably the right move. Hope carplay includes maps!

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I just bought a VW with CarPlay. It works really well, better than I expected! Glad I waited for a car with it. It will future proof the infotainment to some extent.
Not sure how. There was never any problem taking a CD from one stereo in car A to a completely different brand of stereo in car B. Same with phones - bluetooth audio seems pretty universal.
Whilst it’s a good start, something tells me that down the road we’ll get, ‘Only works on iPhoneX or above running iOSX or above'.

Reactions: Gudi

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
No that's what they look like even without car play. I've always wondered what drove them to the tablet on the dash look it's not appealing in any way.
It’s an awful implementation. Absoluetly awful thing to do in a premium car.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
So nice of them to exclude the low end models like the C class. I used to own an SLK, also excluded. Thanks, Mercedes, for being out to touch with the youth and forward progress. ::eyeroll::

The CLA is lower end then the C, but I agree.. I have a 2014 C and it still came with a 30-pin adapter and no Lighting adapter was even available at the dealership, and the cord is so short you have to keep it in the center console but the Plus size phones are too large to fit in there so you have to leave the arm rest open..

Reactions: Straight Meta

Amerrican

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
Los Gatos, California
This was a very timely notice.

I've been very close to buying a BMW - the BMW interface is incredibly horrible, and although said to be "committed" to CarPlay, they seem to be dragging their feet.

No Beemer for me now, that's for sure.

Reactions: macaximx

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I just bought a VW with CarPlay. It works really well, better than I expected! Glad I waited for a car with it. It will future proof the infotainment to some extent.

Same but we already are missing a 2016 feature which is wireless CarPlay. I think there will be a slow degradation of what we can do with CarPlay in our Volkswagens over the next 5-10 years until we finally buy a new car. I guess the timing works out in my normal new-car cycle but it's a bummer to be missing features already in a new car.

I am also glad I waited. Almost put my name in on the Golf R First 500 order in January and decided to wait and hold out for MIB II and the possibility of a sunroof (which didn't happen). Ended up with a 2016 Golf R and aside from losing Parking-Sensors, everything else is an upgrade.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
BUT, not the GLS (new version of the GL yet...boo hoo)....

Yes, that is what surprised me. Would have though a new model would have it right away. I have to replace my SUV next year (due to end of lease) and the GLS is one of the options, this would have been something that would have put it to the top of the list of potential new cars for me.

I don't by a car because it has CarPlay, but if I have two or three cars in my final selection, CarPlay is probably what would tip me to a car that supports it.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
THe fact that you have to plug in the phone and that it will not integrate with MB software tells me that this was an afterthought and frankly not well thought out at all.

Hopefully as they get experience they will figure it out. The reality is that all car manufactures will need to figure out how to integrate these apps versus building their own. Seems like it will be a few more years before they get it right since the car lifecycle is usually around 4 years.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This was a very timely notice.

I've been very close to buying a BMW - the BMW interface is incredibly horrible, and although said to be "committed" to CarPlay, they seem to be dragging their feet.

No Beemer for me now, that's for sure.
I own a 2015 BMW and love the interface. Most people consider the IDRIVE as the best interface out there. I have Navigation, Blue tooth Audio, Hands free calling, and voice control access to my call list and it all works seamlessly. Quite honestly I cannot imagine that Carplay will bring anything to the table for me. I do not text or email while driving and have no interest in doing so. My phone remains in my pocket while I am driving.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
THe fact that you have to plug in the phone and that it will not integrate with MB software tells me that this was an afterthought and frankly not well thought out at all.

Hopefully as they get experience they will figure it out. The reality is that all car manufactures will need to figure out how to integrate these apps versus building their own. Seems like it will be a few more years before they get it right since the car lifecycle is usually around 4 years.

I think you should expect to see three options going forward.
Manufacturers option.
Android Option
Car Play option.

A consortium of Mercedes, BMW and VW just bought Nokia Navigation capability. "Here" and they will each integrate it into their systems.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Not sure how. There was never any problem taking a CD from one stereo in car A to a completely different brand of stereo in car B. Same with phones - bluetooth audio seems pretty universal.
Whilst it’s a good start, something tells me that down the road we’ll get, ‘Only works on iPhoneX or above running iOSX or above'.

Well what exactly do you expect then? A magical processor that evolves over time to becomes faster so you never have to upgrade?

It is future proofed because without it he would not receive any updates for his infotainment system and would be very limited. Carplay is the ultimate future proof because it is dependent on his phone and not the car, that means the possiblity of continul updates for the life of the car.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
For example, use of the Spotify app cannot be done simultaneously with COMAND Navigation.

If it's not fully integrated into the car's electronic system then it seems a bit of a kludge. I'd rather have the not-so-great BMW app system I have that lets you stream Spotify and use the NAV simultaneously. I thought the point of CarPlay was to improve the interface and intuitiveness of infotainment systems, but there is no true integration here. It's one system over another, just another layer of intricacy. Kinda glad BMW is taking it slow on CarPlay integration seeing this.

robT9

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
BMW is so far ahead of every other manufacturer in terms of infotainment technology / software. That LCD in the MB looks like garbage, as does the interior.

Replacing the MB system with carplay is probably the right move. Hope carplay includes maps!

Yet BMW does not offer Carplay, and although they were an early Apple partner, have remained pretty silent as of late toward Carplay support.

Seems to me most of the luxury/premium brands will go kicking and screaming toward Carplay, since they really want you to pay for their overpriced and underperforming Navigation/Infotainment systems. I have Nav in my cars from both Lexus and BMW (both only a few years old) and they just plain suck. Not saying that using an iPhone is worlds better, but it is a little better (would be great if I could see the iPhone map on the car screen), and best of all....its FREE.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
"CarPlay is available...as a standalone $350 package or "Multimedia Package with Smartphone Integration" upgrade.

Apple's in-dash software is also available ...with the "Premium 1" or "Premium 2" equipment package ($3,650-$4,080)."

Ha:Ha! Mercedes raping its customers for the pleasure of integrating a decent feature into their crap infotainment systems...

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
I wish Tesla would add Carplay to my Model S but the entertainment system on this car is way better than others. I just updated the MySync to get Siri on my wife's Lincoln MKc and that was nice addition but, no Carplay there either.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.