Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

johny_srouji_apple-250x189.jpg
Apple's newly promoted Senior Vice President of Hardware Technologies Johny Srouji was awarded 90,270 restricted stock units on October 5, 2015, according to a recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The RSUs awarded vest 12.5% in semi-annual installments over a four year period ending October 2019.

Srouji now has a total of 217,305 RSUs and 101,881 common stock units, which together amount to just over $34 million at AAPL's current trading price of around $107 per share. The latest batch of 90,270 RSUs are currently valued at approximately $9.6 million.

Apple often rewards high-level executives with RSUs based on their performance. In August, for example, Apple CEO Tim Cook and Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue received 560,000 and 350,000 RSUs respectively worth over $97 million combined. Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts also received 113,334 RSUs as a signing bonus upon joining Apple in May 2014.

Srouji was promoted to Senior Vice President of Hardware Technologies on December 17, as part of a larger executive team makeover that saw Jeff Williams promoted to COO and marketing chief Phil Schiller take over App Store leadership across all Apple platforms. Tor Myhren, chief creative officer at ad agency Grey, will also join Apple in early 2016 as Vice President of Marketing Communications.

Srouji joined Apple in 2008 to lead development of the A4 chip for iPhone 4, and he now oversees silicon and hardware technologies, including batteries, application processors, storage controllers, sensors silicon, display silicon and other chipsets across Apple's entire product line. Prior to Apple, he held senior positions at Intel and IBM in the areas of processor development and design.

Article Link: Apple's New Hardware Chief Johny Srouji Awarded Nearly $10 Million in Stock

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I know how I would spend it if I had $5M or so (I'd own a nice house... Maybe get a vacation house... Get two Teslas... And retire to do whatever projects I want for the rest of my life) but I have no idea what you'd even do with money after that.

At some point you could get a yacht or a plane or something... But I don't really see the point. Seems that premium seats would get you most of the same niceties at a far lower price.

Reactions: Orlandoech

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I know how I would spend it if I had $5M or so (I'd own a nice house... Maybe get a vacation house... Get two Teslas... And retire to do whatever projects I want for the rest of my life) but I have no idea what you'd even do with money after that.

At some point you could get a yacht or a plane or something... But I don't really see the point. Seems that premium seats would get you most of the same niceties at a far lower price.

You'd be broke before you know it maintaining that large house and two 100k cars.

User008

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015
Plus... nobody would give someone $5 million, if they were the kind of person that would then immediately retire.
I think that kind of money is reserved for people passionate about their careers, who would work hard, achieve much, and leave a legacy.
Preach it! Make the money work for you!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You'd be broke before you know it maintaining that large house and two 100k cars.

Maintance cost of a Tesla is near non-existent.

My current house is costing me ~$200/month, ignoring mortgage (which, if I had $5M, I would obviously pay off immediately). I figure I'd get something maybe 50% bigger. Get two. I'm looking at $600/month or ~$7K/year.

I figure the two houses have an upfront cost of $1M combined. So I could maintain them for ~400 years.

You either think I'd be getting much more lavish houses than I have in mind, or you're dramatically underestimating the value of $5M. The average person only make $2M in their entire life. A huge amount of that ends up getting spent on debts (I.E., if I were to only make minimum payments on my mortgage, as most people do, I'd end up spending 3x the value of my house.) But I'd immediately pay the entire thing - no mortgage.

User008

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015

My current house is costing me ~$200/month, ignoring mortgage (which, if I had $5M, I would obviously pay off immediately). I figure I'd get something maybe 50% bigger. Get two. I'm looking at $600/month or ~$7K/year.

I figure the two houses have an upfront cost of $1M combined. So I could maintain them for ~400 years.

You either think I'd be getting much more lavish houses than I have in mind, or you're dramatically underestimating the value of $5M. The average person only make $2M in their entire life. A huge amount of that ends up getting spent on debts (I.E., if I were to only make minimum payments on my mortgage, as most people do, I'd end up spending 3x the value of my house.) But I'd immediately pay the entire thing - no mortgage.
Assuming you've still got a bunch of working years ahead of you, and assuming you don't intend to make much of an income with the "projects" you mentioned earlier, simply stopping working once you receive that lump sum is still a bad idea. You haven't calculated the increase in property taxes for your new, larger houses and vehicles, nor are you accounting for the expenses of daily life that you'll incur over the next however-many decades you'll live. $5mil now isn't what it used to be.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Maintanace cost on a Telsa non existent ? Your kidding right? Maintenance of car = servicing , not repairs.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Maintanace cost on a Telsa non existent ? Your kidding right? Maintenance of car = servicing , not repairs.

He's right. Servicing an electric car is almost nothing. In fact it is nothing for long periods. I have an electric car (not a Tesla) and the maintenance is identically zero so far (2 years 20,000 miles). It doesn't take oil ever. The only thing it will need is tires eventually. Oh and washer fluid.

On the other hand I have a Mercedes and after 18 months and 4500 miles it has already had two services scheduled and paid for.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Psssh. Where's your imagination. I'd get hookers and blow... and a statue of a hooker made out of blow. I'd buy a Capuchin monkey and hire a guy to do nothing but let the monkey hit him with pies... pies made of blow. I'd hire a big ass group of civil war reenactors and force them to reenact the Peloponnesian war in full Civil War dress. I'd buy the monkey an Apple Watch. I would not buy the monkey an iPhone though. Cuz, I mean seriously, monkeys don't need a phone. Besides, he'd only accrue excessive data charges with Wifi Assist.

/takes meds

/falls asleep

Last edited:

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
If I were the majority shareholder at Apple:

1.Tim Cook would be unemployed.

Why?

Apple Watch = Fail
Apple Maps = Fail
Siri = Fail
Apple Pay = Way too slow of an adoption rate, and the greed before widespread adoption comes first, so fail.

16 GB base for iPhone with $199 on contract = fail.
Shrinking stock price = Fail.
Apple Music = Fail.

The company's last keynote presentation would also have me worried that the company is starting to decline a bit.

2. There would be more Apple Stores

There's a grand total of one Apple Store in upstate NY, ONE.

I'm sure other areas have the same problem, where customers have to drive 2 hours just to go to the nearest Apple Store.

I know stockholders don't have the power to make every decision for the company, but they do have the power to overthrow the CEO.

SesameWasher

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015

Why?

Apple Watch = Fail
Apple Maps = Fail
Siri = Fail
Apple Pay = Way too slow of an adoption rate, and the greed before widespread adoption comes first, so fail.

Apple Music = Fail.

The company's last keynote presentation would also have me worried that the company is starting to decline a bit.

I'm sure other areas have the same problem, where customers have to drive 2 hours just to go to the nearest Apple Store.

I know stockholders don't have the power to make every decision for the company, but they do have the power to overthrow the CEO.
Don't take too hard on the watch. Since smart watch itself was a relatively small market, not just Apple "didn't do well" (but still a big hit for the classic Swiss watch).
Interesting thing is how smart watch as a whole didn't shine, but Apple Watch takes all the blame. It just like the all new MacBook -- don't expect everyone will like it, but most of the blame only because it's Apple.
One more thing, Apple may not be as great as before overall, but not really going to its decline.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
He's right. Servicing an electric car is almost nothing. In fact it is nothing for long periods. I have an electric car (not a Tesla) and the maintenance is identically zero so far (2 years 20,000 miles). It doesn't take oil ever. The only thing it will need is tires eventually. Oh and washer fluid.

On the other hand I have a Mercedes and after 18 months and 4500 miles it has already had two services scheduled and paid for.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your non-Tesla electric car? I'm currently aware of the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, and all of Tesla. I probably won't be replacing my car (2004 Buick) for another 2-6 years, but I definitely plan on replacing it with an electric car, so I'm keeping my eye on the market. Faraday Future or Apple might enter the market, too...

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Why?

Apple Watch = Fail
Apple Maps = Fail
Siri = Fail

Apple Music = Fail.

Leftover Christmas brandied eggnog or pre-New Years champaign? Either way, your drunk.:p

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple Watch = Fail
Apple Maps = Fail
Siri = Fail

Apple Watch and Apple Pay seem to be doing much better than the iPod did and they're doing about as well as the iPhone and iPad did.

Apple Maps did exactly what Apple wanted. Google was dragging their feet on implementing features on Google Maps for iOS. Apple created Apple Maps so that Google would be forced to either bring all of their features to Google Maps for iOS faster, or else lose market share in the mapping market. Apple's goal isn't to have a lot of users of Apple Maps - their goal is to sell iOS devices. To do that, they need to have the best mapping services available, and by introducing Apple Maps, they prodded Google to bring their best.

Not sure what Apple was going for with Siri. I have no idea how you would determine if it is/was a failure or not. Although to say that it's Tim's fault is odd. It was introduced the day Steve died - I'd assume Steve had more to do with Siri than Tim did.

Apple Music = Fail.

Selling expensive products doesn't mean you fail. It means just the opposite - if people are willing to pay stupid high prices for your products, that's a definite win.

I don't follow the stocks so can't argue with that.

Apple Music is a total failure. Can't defend it. Seems extreme to say it's Tim's fault, though.

SesameWasher

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Apple Watch and Apple Pay seem to be doing much better than the iPod did and they're doing about as well as the iPhone and iPad did.

Apple Maps did exactly what Apple wanted. Google was dragging their feet on implementing features on Google Maps for iOS. Apple created Apple Maps so that Google would be forced to either bring all of their features to Google Maps for iOS faster, or else lose market share in the mapping market. Apple's goal isn't to have a lot of users of Apple Maps - their goal is to sell iOS devices. To do that, they need to have the best mapping services available, and by introducing Apple Maps, they prodded Google to bring their best.

Not sure what Apple was going for with Siri. I have no idea how you would determine if it is/was a failure or not. Although to say that it's Tim's fault is odd. It was introduced the day Steve died - I'd assume Steve had more to do with Siri than Tim did.

Selling expensive products doesn't mean you fail. It means just the opposite - if people are willing to pay stupid high prices for your products, that's a definite win.

Apple Music is a total failure. Can't defend it. Seems extreme to say it's Tim's fault, though.
How did Apple Music "failed"?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Don't take too hard on the watch. Since smart watch itself was a relatively small market, not just Apple "didn't do well" (but still a big hit for the classic Swiss watch).
Interesting thing is how smart watch as a whole didn't shine, but Apple Watch takes all the blame. It just like the all new MacBook -- don't expect everyone will like it, but most of the blame only because it's Apple.
One more thing, Apple may not be as great as before overall, but not really going to its decline.
You make it sound like the smart watch category is dead, good grief it's just in its infancy. iPod didn't really take off until 2004 and iTunes for Windows. iPhone didn't really start selling in really large volume until iPhone 4 and coming to Verizon. Based on many of the comments I see here and elsewhere both of those products would have been written off as massive failures.

SesameWasher

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
You make it sound like the smart watch category is dead, good grief it's just in its infancy. iPod didn't really take off until 2004 and iTunes for Windows. iPhone didn't really start selling in really large volume until iPhone 4 and coming to Verizon. Based on many of the comments I see here and elsewhere both of those products would have been written off as massive failures.
Not necessarily lol, I'm only saying it isn't shine right now, God knows what will happen in the future. (iPods and iPhones are giving a great efforts for their market and I would like to see Apple Watch did the same.)
But people just keeping their blame on Apple products whatever the truth it's, and certainly makes me tired. There is no perfect products and sometimes things can be seen in both way, but they're just purely hate, both on the people and the products, whether they're successful or not, early age or later on.

Last edited:

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015

When I was in high school, every other student had an iPod. I haven't met one person with an Apple Watch.

Apple Maps was so bad at launch that Tim Cook had to apologize to iPhone and iPad users. Scott Forestall was ousted shortly after that.

Apple Pay certainly is not doing much better than the iPod has done in its infancy. Apple Pay has yet to even be acquired in countries like Australia, Canada, and every other first world country (other than their partnership Amex). I haven't seen one person that's heard of Apple Pay or even used it in over a year.

Sure, Siri was probably invented under Steve Jobs' leadership, but it's Tim Cook's job to make sure it improves, or inform his inferior employees that the software is being surpassed by other quality services like Cortana and Google now.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

SesameWasher

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
When I was in high school, every other student had an iPod. I haven't met one person with an Apple Watch.

Apple Maps was so bad at launch that Tim Cook had to apologize to iPhone and iPad users. Scott Forestall was ousted shortly after that.

Apple Pay certainly is not doing much better than the iPod has done in its infancy. Apple Pay has yet to even be acquired in countries like Australia, Canada, and every other first world country (other than their partnership Amex). I haven't seen one person that's heard of Apple Pay or even used it in over a year.

Sure, Siri was probably invented under Steve Jobs' leadership, but it's Tim Cook's job to make sure it improves, or inform his inferior employees that the software is being surpassed by other quality services like Cortana and Google now.
But many of people wouldn't want to wear a watch as well. Whoever did mostly they loves watch or they have that habit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.