Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-7-Headphone-vs-Lightning-250x264.jpg
Six weeks ago, Japanese website Mac Otakara reported that Apple is planning to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPhone 7 in favor of an all-in-one Lightning connector for both connectivity and audio output.

Adding fuel to the rumor, Chinese websites Anzhuo.cn [Google Translate] and Wei Feng [Google Translate] cite supply chain news from unnamed sources that reportedly confirm the controversial rumor is true.

Both websites claim the iPhone 7 will not have a headphone jack, and that Apple will release its own wireless Bluetooth headphones, but the unverified reports should be treated with caution until or unless additional sources verify these claims -- nevertheless, they do make for interesting discussion.

Mac Otakara's original report said Apple may release Lightning-equipped EarPods, and the company already offers Powerbeats 2, Solo2 and Studio wireless headphones through its Beats brand. Apple also introduced new MFi Program specifications in June 2014 that allow third-party manufacturers to create Lightning-equipped headphones, including the Philips Fidelio M2L and Fidelio NC1L.

Philips-M2L-iPhone-Trio.jpg
Philips M2L are Apple-approved Lightning-equipped headphones

The original report, which cited a "reliable source," also claimed the new same-sized Lightning connector will have a DAC, or digital-to-analog converter, for backwards compatibility with wired headphones using standard 3.5mm stereo jacks. A 3.5mm to Lightning adapter would be required.

The rumor has led to speculation that Apple could introduce wireless charging on the iPhone 7, as users would be unable to charge the smartphone and use Lightning-equipped headphones at once. On the contrary, there is always the real possibility this rumor is false and that Apple has no plans to ditch the headphone jack.
Would you prefer the iPhone 7 have a 3.5mm headphone jack or all-in-one Lightning connector? https://t.co/ZsmMqskbOB - MacRumors.com (@MacRumors) November 30, 2015
Should this rumor prove to be true, however, the decision will likely be as controversial as Apple's move to the Lightning connector over its legacy 30-pin dock connector. MacRumors ran a Twitter poll that showed 59% of 7,542 respondents preferred the 3.5mm headphone jack over an all-in-one Lightning connector.

Read more: Apple May Replace 3.5mm Headphone Jack on iPhone 7 With All-in-One Lightning Connector

Article Link: Supply Chain Rumors Reaffirm iPhone 7 Will Not Have Headphone Jack

Reactions: appledefenceforce

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
I could see apple doing this but including an adapter with the phone because they know that everyone uses headphones with their phone. I'd be ok with it if it comes with the adapter and they're cheap to replace if lost

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Quite progressive. I've used stereo bluetooth earphones for years, so I don't really care; but I'm also not an audiophile or someone who listens to music via earphones for 8+ hours (the battery life of my earphones).

It'll be interesting to see what they bundle with the phone and how much they'll push their bluetooth Beats line (or if they release a corded lightning line)

gyang333

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Remember when everyone complained about the Lightning Connector? Now everyone loves it.

I'm sure no one will miss the 3.5mm headphone jack in 2-3 years.
Unless it comes with two lightning ports (and you can't short it out by plugging both ends of one lighting cable into both ports) this is not like the time they went from the 30 pin to lightning because now you can't listen to music and charge your phone at the same time which I think many do in the car via the aux cable.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
People also complained when Apple removed the optical disk drive. I sure don't miss mine...

Look to the future people.

I remember when Apple removed the optical drive and replaced it with a proprietary system that no one else used. Oh wait, no, that's nothing like what happened. The optical drive was lost to the Internet & USB. Audio jacks survived because they have remained useful. Please tell me how Bluetooth solves the problem, but don't do it over BT 4, because I might not hear you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.