Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pelican Products, known for its range of rugged, highly protective cases, today announced the launch of its first waterproof smartphone case. The Pelican Marine, designed for the iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, and 6s Plus, provides complete drop protection for Apple's iOS devices and protects it from water, snow, dirt, and dust.

Available in black, the Marine case includes five layers of military-grade shock protection to absorb impact during accidental drops, and a scratch-resistant screen protector keeps the display safe from scratches. According to Pelican, the design leaves all buttons and features accessible, while also offering balanced sound for a high-quality audio experience.

pelicanmarine.jpg

The Marine case can be submerged in water up to two meters deep for thirty minutes, and its waterproof design also protects against other outdoor elements. Like all Pelican products, it comes with a two-year guarantee.
"Smart phones, by and large have no real defense against water, but now they're defended by the Pelican Marine case and 40+ years of protection know-how," said Bob Shortt, President - Consumer Division of Pelican Products. "Consumers can now hit the pool or beach with the confidence of knowing their phone will be one hundred percent protected and ready for that next amazing selfie or action shot."
The Pelican Marine case for the iPhone 6 and 6s is priced at $79.95, while the larger iPhone 6 Plus/iPhone 6s Plus version is priced at $89.95. It will be available for purchase in late February.

Article Link: CES 2016: Pelican Announces 'Marine' Waterproof iPhone Cases

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Pelican makes great stuff. I have a couple of camera cases and flashlights and they are nearly indestructible. Not cheap, but very well made. I wonder how the case stands up against the similar Lunatik case? I have ether Lunatic but while it certainly is very protective it has issue with button presses and muffled sound. To Lunatik's credit they are aware of the issue s and looking at fixes.

Reactions: vjl323

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
So it's a rebranded lifeproof fre case? It's less company R&D money, but are the markets that segmented?

Edit: a week later and it just hit me that this is a Pelican case, not Otterbox. Forget my R&D comment. Still looks like a rebadging, though.

Last edited:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Audio quality is the key with these cases. Make the speaker sound good is one thing, making the mic sound good is a whole other...

I've had the Nuud for the 6+ and my videos always sound terrible. Maybe they've got a fix?

Reactions: vjl323

fit24

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
I agree Pelican makes great equipment cases; I've used them for years. However their Pelican Voyager for the iPhone 6 is disappointing to me. The buttons on the case are really hard to press and the edges are too high to use comfortably. Hopefully the Marine case is an improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.