Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning launched a new Twitter account for Apple News, giving its Apple News team a way to promote stories and content on the social network. Created last year but activated today, the Apple News Twitter account will be used to share "top stories" and "great reads" curated by Apple News editors in the United States.

Thus far, the account has shared two new stories covering the Panama Papers and an NCAA Tournament championship game from publishers Wired and SBNation.

applenews-800x634.png
Follow us here for top stories & great reads from your favorite publishers, curated by our U.S. editors. pic.twitter.com/eLyGKZHVMl - Apple News (@applenews) April 5, 2016
Apple has recently been bolstering its presence on Twitter, and the Apple News Twitter account joins accounts for services like Apple Music, Beats 1 radio, iTunes, the App Store, iBooks, Podcasts, Swift, and more.

Apple's biggest push into Twitter came last month with the launch of the Apple Support account on the social network, which is dedicated to answering customer support questions. Though Apple has multiple Twitter accounts for support and services, it does not have a main company-wide @Apple Twitter account in use, but many Apple executives maintain personal Twitter accounts including Tim Cook, Phil Schiller, and Eddy Cue.

Article Link: Apple News Gains Twitter Account to Promote Content

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I thought the app was supposed to keep you from going to other places for news?

I know. I was wondering the same thing. Apple News has kept me off from using other specific news apps and a lot of Safari. I guess one benefit with using Twitter is that you'll be able to get notifications first, then you can tap the link to take you into News. But I really wish Apple just baked in notifications in News to begin with. It seems like a no brainer.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
...and expands to more countri... oh, it doesn't... ic ic :(

This. I really was surprised by the global Apple Music rollout, which for sure also was a tough one with all the local and legal differences to be managed.

Yet again, so many countries still wait for Apple Pay and Apple News to be introduced...especially the former being a key component of Apple's iPhone campaigns.

Last edited:
Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

bgraham

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
United Kingdom
This would be better if it just gave you links to articles instead of forcing you to read through the Apple News app... but I guess that's not the point

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I had stopped using Flipboard for a while, when Apple News came out, I tried it...and then started using Flipboard again.

it was a great ad for Flipboard

Reactions: tyasjs

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Make way for the excitingly new Apple politically correct news feed. Nothing real, nothing to hurt anyones feelings, perfectively predicted to soothe the ills of the world by leaving out controversy and reality. Be the first to get your government indoctrination from Apple. It feels so good.

oh, come on.. you want Apple to start going the Vice news route? give up their business model to start hard hitting international data leaks or something? your complaints should be directed at the established news sources, not a hardware company who's dabbling in a mainstream media newsfeed. an aggregate.

besides, doesn't Apple's upcoming exclusive content/show feature Dr. Dre and gang violence/sexual assault (reportedly)? methinks apple is branching out, less and less Disney style..

Reactions: nt5672

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Despite the nay-sayers in this thread, I enjoy Apple News - it hasn't stopped me from getting my news from my typical outlets, but it's nice to have another dedicated newsfeed to my tastes available when I want. Can't wait to see it grow!

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
...and expands to more countri... oh, it doesn't... ic ic :(
you can try it out by switching localization to US. I did and found it absolutely terrible. confusing interface, poor customization and content discoverability, serving loads and loads of crap I don't want to see and last but not least, no adblocking. that alone is a dealbreaker for me.

this product needs to join Ping.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Make way for the excitingly new Apple politically correct news feed. Nothing real, nothing to hurt anyones feelings, perfectively predicted to soothe the ills of the world by leaving out controversy and reality. Be the first to get your government indoctrination from Apple. It feels so good.

Oh, and never a bad apple product review to be found!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Despite the nay-sayers in this thread, I enjoy Apple News - it hasn't stopped me from getting my news from my typical outlets, but it's nice to have another dedicated newsfeed to my tastes available when I want. Can't wait to see it grow!

Agreed. I swipe to the search page while riding the bus to and from work, and I can usually find at least a couple of interesting and informative articles to read on the trip.

myestro1111

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2014
Yeah, just like Facebook News. Sorry, I'll stick with Drudge.

Reactions: nt5672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.