Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, Twelve South announced its latest product for the Apple Watch, a travel tote and portable charging stand called the TimePorter. Starting today, Twelve South is launching the $50 TimePorter and has begun accepting orders for the accessory.

Just ahead of the TimePorter's launch, Twelve South shipped a TimePorter to me so I could share an early hands-on look at the product, which, in a nutshell, is one of the more useful Apple Watch travel accessories that I've used.

timeporterclosed.jpg

When it comes to size and design, the TimePorter looks a lot like a standard eyeglasses or sunglasses case, with the same general shape and dimensions. Covered in soft leather in either black or white, the TimePorter measures in at about six inches wide and an inch and a half tall and was comparable in size to some of the sunglasses cases I had on hand.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Twelve South's New 'TimePorter' is a Handy Travel Storage and Charging Solution for Apple Watch

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I knew it would be expensive when I had to click through (and scroll to the bottom) to see the price...

Edited to mention the price up top so people don't need to scroll down to see it. I didn't think $50 was too pricy compared to other Apple Watch stands and cases on the market.

Reactions: John.B

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I travel enough that I have enough cables to charge my Watch, Phone, and Pad all at the same time. Those cables and take up less room in my back back than this case. I see no benefit to this at all. when I get to my hotel room taking out 3 cables from a pocket in the backpack and charging my devices seem way easier and lighter than adding the bulk of this contraption. Usually I am a sucker for all the accessories, but this one I will pass.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I travel enough that I have enough cables to charge my Watch, Phone, and Pad all at the same time. Those cables and take up less room in my back back than this case. I see no benefit to this at all. when I get to my hotel room taking out 3 cables from a pocket in the backpack and charging my devices seem way easier and lighter than adding the bulk of this contraption. Usually I am a sucker for all the accessories, but this one I will pass.

Yeah, cables alone definitely take up less space. I hate having a big tangle of cables in my bag though, which is why I like the idea of the TimePorter. There's enough room in there to fit a little iPhone cable too.

Biggest plus for me is being able to store bands. I like to travel with a couple options and I've never been able to find a good place to stick them -- I'm always worried I'll misplace one having it loose in my backpack.

Reactions: Keane16

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Not as bad as some of the other ones, but $50 for a souped-up glasses case still puts it over the "worth the money" line for me. Although, this did inspire me to create my own out of a spare glasses case I had. Works pretty nice!

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Yeah, cables alone definitely take up less space. I hate having a big tangle of cables in my bag though, which is why I like the idea of the TimePorter. There's enough room in there to fit a little iPhone cable too.

Biggest plus for me is being able to store bands. I like to travel with a couple options and I've never been able to find a good place to stick them -- I'm always worried I'll misplace one having it loose in my backpack.
Fair enough. If you travel with bands, then a case would make more sense. I bought the links band on day one and that is still the only one I use. My wife does have 3 bands but for her it has been an evolution and she does not seem to go backwards. So for us it does not make as much sense, but I do see your point for bands.

Reactions: jclo

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
For $50 you could put together a much nicer charging solution that would handle multiple devices, not just a watch.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
It would be nice if apple would sell the charging "puck" with a lightning port (instead of attached cable) that you could plug any lightning cable into to give it power. Then you wouldn't need to take what is an otherwise useless cable, and bring it more in line with their other products.

gimikinc

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Bay Area
When I travel I like going light. I can wear the watch, throw the charger cable in my laptop bag and then put on the nightstand to charge. This seems $49.99 + shipping too costly and much too bulky... I'm sure it will be great for people with different requirements.....

Cwolk

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
NJ, USA
I wish you guys got sent good products to review at least once in a while. 9/10 products that you review have too many drawbacks to them to buy.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I wish you guys got sent good products to review at least once in a while. 9/10 products that you review have too many drawbacks to them to buy.

the good ones sell themselves. it's the crappy ones that need the fluff pieces to sell.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
It would be nice if apple would sell the charging "puck" with a lightning port (instead of attached cable) that you could plug any lightning cable into to give it power. Then you wouldn't need to take what is an otherwise useless cable, and bring it more in line with their other products.

First I've read anyone mention such a thing. Something like that would be brilliant.

Reactions: Mike Oxard

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I like this idea, the only challenge I can see with it, and maybe why Apple haven't released one, is that it would be pretty small and easily lost...

Reactions: Mike Oxard

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I like this idea, the only challenge I can see with it, and maybe why Apple haven't released one, is that it would be pretty small and easily lost...

you mean like the cap on the pencil?

if you lose one, you buy another. it's basically a win for apple in that sense.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
you mean like the cap on the pencil?

if you lose one, you buy another. it's basically a win for apple in that sense.
True. But isn't it fair to say that the cap spends most of its life on the Pencil and only comes off to charge, whilst an Apple Watch charging puck spends most of it's time sitting idly waiting to charge a Watch?

Personally I'm going to invest in a small GRID-IT organiser, an Anker PowerPort 5 port 40W charger and use some of my surplus cables to setup a 'grab-and-go' charging station. They only device it won't be 'pre-wired' with is the Apple Watch charger because I don't travel enough to justify dropping $30 on a second cable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.