Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyoelin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
California
I can't, for the life of me, figure out if it is ok to install windows xp service pack 1 on a apple using boot camp, or if it absolutely needs to be service pack two. I have the service pack 2 upgrade disc, but it's not a standalone. I've read a few people who have successfully done windows xp media center edition, but how about service pack 1?

Can anybody confirm that it 100% works, or 100% does not work with personal experience? I'm looking for a solid answer.

tyoelin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
California
jamesmcd said:
Do what I did... Imported my SP1 disk, then downloaded the SP2 updater, updated the SP1 installer, and then re-burned.

I don't know how to do that, but I'll search around, thanks! ( I didn't know that was possible)

tyoelin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
California
jamesmcd said:
Do what I did... Imported my SP1 disk, then downloaded the SP2 updater, updated the SP1 installer, and then re-burned.

Longshot question: have you played Oblivion on your iMac?

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
What you have to do is get SP2 and make a slipstream boot cd. Combining your original SP1 Boot cd with the SP2 update.

Google it there are people that have done it. I don't think it's all that hard to do.

Otherwise it's off to the store to purchase a new copy of Windows XP SP2.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
i installed XP SP1 on my iMac using a 10GB partition

I then tried to run the driver disk, it would not install, i think it maybe because it was SP1 but i have no proof.

I tried updating to SP2 and there was not enough space on the partition.

Havent tried again.

tyoelin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
California
timmillwood said:

I then tried to run the driver disk, it would not install, i think it maybe because it was SP1 but i have no proof.

Havent tried again.

Good to know, what do you mean the driver disk? But SP1 did install correctly, and you were able to get into windows?

tyoelin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
California
Ok I slipstreamed XP to service pack 2, thanks again! The hardest part was getting it to burn to the CD as I have misplaced my burning software heh.

jvaleski

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2006
confirmed!

I couldn't get XPSP1 to install on my 13" MacBook. Upon attemping to install it, I would get to the first screen that required keyboard input, and none of the keys would work.

I slipstreamed my XPSP1 disk to SP2, and all is well.:)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
timmillwood said:

Havent tried again.
You were able to install XP SP1 on your 10GB partition and then your iMac would boot into Windows XP with no problems.

Please confirm this statement is correct.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
I installed XP SP1 first with the intention of updating it through Windows updater however i ran into problems and this was not possible for me. When i installed XP SP1 the Airport was not working (among a few other things) so i could not connect to the internet to download the sp2 updater. I would have needed to buy maybe another wifi card to try to do it this way but i don't know if it would have worked that way either.
I will also say that the sound, bluetooth and other essential things were not working when i tried to do it this way.

I also tried installing SP2 from a CD and i kept on getting a message come up that i was out of space even though i was not so i gave up on that.

I also tried installing from a slip streamed disc and that would not work for me either but other people do seem to have some success doing it this way.

If you are having problems you could try Microsoft and maybe they will send you out a copy of SP2 if you have a licensed copy of XP1 if you explain to them that you are having some problems with your XP1 CD. This will cost but the cost will be nominal compared to buying a XP2 CD on the open market.

Natsus

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
the reason why bootcamp requires sp2 is because the bootcamp drivers work only for sp2, not sp1. Therefore, yes SP1 does work. You can boot into windows with it, but you would be missing graphics drivers, internet, sound, bluetooth.. etc... with no way of updating them.

If you only own the SP1 CD, do what everyone suggested and google slipstream. It allows you to put SP2 onto your SP1 CD.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
What prevents you from loading the SP2 updater on a CD? How about downloading it via an ethernet connection (since Airport drivers are lacking)? How about a USB drive?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Natsus said:
the reason why bootcamp requires sp2 is because the bootcamp drivers work only for sp2, not sp1. Therefore, yes SP1 does work. You can boot into windows with it, but you would be missing graphics drivers, internet, sound, bluetooth.. etc... with no way of updating them.

If you only own the SP1 CD, do what everyone suggested and google slipstream. It allows you to put SP2 onto your SP1 CD.

The Apple drivers have nothing to do with Windows install booting..

Windows SP1 does not support USB 2.0..The Apple keyboard and mouse are connected through the USB 2.0 in the computer..Windows SP2 supports USB 2.0 which allows input from the keyboard/mouse.

You dont even install the Apple drivers until after you install Windows.

Natsus

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Peace said:
The Apple drivers have nothing to do with Windows install booting..

Windows SP1 does not support USB 2.0..The Apple keyboard and mouse are connected through the USB 2.0 in the computer..Windows SP2 supports USB 2.0 which allows input from the keyboard/mouse.

You dont even install the Apple drivers until after you install Windows.

reread what I wrote,

Natsus said:
Therefore, yes SP1 does work. You can boot into windows with it, but you would be missing graphics drivers, internet, sound, bluetooth.. etc... with no way of updating them.

I never said that the apple drivers had anything to do with windows install booting. I clearly said you can boot into windows XP sp1, just that there are no drivers since the cd doesn't work with sp1

As for the 2nd part, I have personally installed SP1 on my MBP through bootcamp. Installation went through fine. Infact, my keyboard and mouse worked fine too. I just could not get my drivers cd to work. When I tried to upgrade to sp2 through the internet, I realized that I don't have any of the network drivers to connect to said internet. Technically, if you have an update CD for sp2, it should work. (never tried) but it's much easier just to slipstream sp2 onto the XP cd.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Roba said:
I installed XP SP1 first with the intention of updating it through Windows updater however i ran into problems and this was not possible for me. When i installed XP SP1 the Airport was not working (among a few other things) so i could not connect to the internet to download the sp2 updater. I would have needed to buy maybe another wifi card to try to do it this way but i don't know if it would have worked that way either.
I will also say that the sound, bluetooth and other essential things were not working when i tried to do it this way.

I also tried installing SP2 from a CD and i kept on getting a message come up that i was out of space even though i was not so i gave up on that.

I also tried installing from a slip streamed disc and that would not work for me either but other people do seem to have some success doing it this way.

If you are having problems you could try Microsoft and maybe they will send you out a copy of SP2 if you have a licensed copy of XP1 if you explain to them that you are having some problems with your XP1 CD. This will cost but the cost will be nominal compared to buying a XP2 CD on the open market.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I've had good luck with installing XP with SP2 on a few iMacs. Everything went smoothly.

In fact, I felt it easier than installing on a regular PC for the most part. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.