Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and Niantic Labs today announced that an app for the popular Pokémon Go iOS game is coming to Apple Watch.

f1473269533-800x330.jpg

The app will notify users when wild Pokémon appear, show information about their hatching eggs, and even alert when a Pokéstop is near.

Article Link: 'Pokémon GO' Officially Coming to Apple Watch With New App

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Will you have to start a work out or leave the app open every time you want it to add KM's to the egg hatching though? It'd be cool if it was just automatic every time I go for a walk, instead of having to start it up.

But still cool!

Reactions: Speedy Dingo

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Amazing unfortunately by end of year I'll be done I'm already at 136 out of 142 available now.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Will you have to start a work out or leave the app open every time you want it to add KM's to the egg hatching though? It'd be cool if it was just automatic every time I go for a walk, instead of having to start it up.

But still cool!
You probably have to start a Poke-workout. Otherwise I don't see how it would not kill the battery touching the GPS constanting.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Isn't Apple late to the party? I thought the Pokemon Go craze died out after the developers changed some of the gameplay mechanics.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Isn't Apple late to the party? I thought the Pokemon Go craze died out after the developers changed some of the gameplay mechanics.
Late perhaps. The craze (as in thousands of people in every park) has died down, but there's still tens of millions playing - any other game maker would kill for that kind of usage. And despite various conspiracy theories that went around, they cut back some features that weren't working right, 100% of the time. Probably will return at some point.
[doublepost=1473277117][/doublepost]If a Snorlax had showed up non-scripted, during the demo, I'd have probably said, "uh, wait a moment while I catch this." Still want one.

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
Sorry, but at that point, I felt lost. I guess I'm not the target group anymore. Oh well, teenagers must have money to pay for Apple products these days...

Reactions: Val-kyrie

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
So excited for this! I always use my Apple Watch to track my walks/runs but I'm glad it will count towards my Pokemon Go progress now.

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
Sorry, but at that point, I felt lost. I guess I'm not the target group anymore. Oh well, teenagers must have money to pay for Apple products these days...
Not all Pokemon players are kids or teenagers. Some of us were quite young when the game originally released, so you know, nostalgia. I'm guessing you don't like kids stepping on your lawn? ;)

Reactions: jhfenton

mattan_lines

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
I thought that this would be such a cool thing to do before I even saw the Niantic's Pokemon Go Plus band thingie. I'm so glad to see that they've made an Apple Watch version.

However, I'm seriously hoping that this isn't just for Apple Watch Series 2 users... I don't plan on buying a new Apple Watch anytime soon.

Another concern of mine is that the Apple Watch can track your workouts using a pedometer to track how far you've walked, so you can still use a treadmill at home and have it log distance. However, would this work the same for the Pokémon Go Apple Watch workouts? Because Pokémon Go uses both GPS AND the Pedometer to hatch your eggs... So which will it use? Apple's version of exercise (which is way easier to fake) or Niantic's (which will effect a large group of people that mainly do their exercises at home)?

caipirina08

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
hmm .. they say later this year?

I kinda gave up on the game 2 weeks ago at lvl18 ... just did not see the point anymore :) Still do tons of walking though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.