Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When the Messages App Store first launched just ahead of iOS 10, there was no categories section, making it difficult to discover apps beyond those that were featured by Apple.

As more and more Messages App Store apps have rolled out, Apple has updated the App Store to include a new Categories feature, improving discovery.

messagesappstorecategories-800x707.jpg

Located at the top of the Messages App Store between "Featured" and "Manage," the new Category section breaks down apps into different groups, including Entertainment, Food & Drink, Games, Lifestyle, Photo & Video, Productivity, Shopping, Social Networking, Stickers, and Travel.

Each section includes a selection of apps chosen by Apple as "Our Favorites," along with a "More to Explore" option. As the Messages App Store grows, these categories will likely fill out and gain new sections.

In the Stickers category, there's a further breakdown to make it easier to sort through the myriad stickers in the Messages App Store. Sticker categories include Animals & Nature, Comics & Cartoons, Eating & Drinking, Emoji & Expressions, Fashion, Gaming, Kids & Family, and Places & Objects.

stickerscategories-800x709.jpg

Though the Messages App Store has only been available for a day, it's already flush with apps. We've rounded up some of the best sticker packs we've come across and some of the must-have time-saving apps that genuinely improve the Messages experience. For tips on installing apps and using stickers, make sure to check out our how to.

Article Link: Messages App Store Updated With Categories for Better App Discovery

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
No easy way to sort by rating, just like the standard app store. I guess that's too advanced of a feature for Apple's consumer demographic?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

Capric0rn

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
Not getting this new tab yet. Also, I've noticed that on both my iPad and iPhone the #images iMessage app has disappeared after installing the GM.

pcmacgamer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Should've had categories day one but I digress. All these people complaining about how the app stinks astound me. They didn't take anything away from the core functionality of the app. It is all just extra additions to enhance a users messaging experience.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
They didn't take anything away from the core functionality of the app. It is all just extra additions to enhance a users messaging experience.

I disagree. When you throw in a bunch of unneeded features -- especially ones that are visually distracting -- it takes away from simplicity and ease of use. There's so many visual cues on screen it's difficult to know, intuitively, what to press to find what you want. The text bar has been reduced, the send button is smaller, etc. etc. These are all minor gripes, but they add up and detract from the overall user experience.

None of this will matter to those who regularly use Facebook chat and the like, but for everyone else, it's the exact opposite of "magical".

Reactions: rGiskard

pcmacgamer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
I disagree. When you throw in a bunch of unneeded features -- especially ones that are visually distracting -- it takes away from simplicity and ease of use. There's so many visual cues on screen it's difficult to know, intuitively, what to press to find what you want. The text bar has been reduced, the send button is smaller, etc. etc. These are all minor gripes, but they add up and detract from the overall user experience.

None of this will matter to those who regularly use Facebook chat and the like, but for everyone else, it's the exact opposite of "magical".
Uneeded features that don't get in the way of core functionality of the app. What is visually distracting exactly? Those animations? You can turn those off in settings with reduce motion.

The size of the text bar and button don't take away anything from what the app does. UI changes happen all the time in all of their apps. Seems silly to speak in absolutes saying everyone else will be bothered. I never use the Facebook type messengers and have gotten a bit of a kick out of all these fun apps.

Reactions: Beck Show

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I think that Apple did not have enough message related apps at the beginning to justify categories. As more have quickly populated and as they have seen how users are accessing these apps the Info Architects were able to create categories that meet what the users might want.

I agree that the stickers/animations are unnecessary and rather distracting. While eating lunch, my partner and I were fooling around with them and acting like kids.
[doublepost=1473892295][/doublepost]
I can't understand why or who would pay for messaging sticker..
What is truly shocking is individuals paying for celebrity stickers.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Well, it looks like Apple has reverted to that oft-repeated remark that the Mac was nothing more than a toy. Now it's the iPhone's turn to be nothing more but a toy. Sad demise of once-great software. I wish Apple would get its priorities straight: We don't need no more iMessage apps, we don't need any more Watchbands, we need MacBook Pros and Mac Pros. Surely a company would rather sell thousands of expensive (over-priced, under-powered) sturdy computers to businesses than to submit to the follies of the Fashionistas.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
I can't understand why or who would pay for messaging sticker..

... or $5 for an app that let's you check the weather in Messages.
I mean, God forbid you shoukd have to engage in that laborious task of
double-pressing the homebutton and look at your weather app,
or hold down the home button and ask Siri.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Uneeded features that don't get in the way of core functionality of the app. What is visually distracting exactly? Those animations? You can turn those off in settings with reduce motion.

The size of the text bar and button don't take away anything from what the app does. UI changes happen all the time in all of their apps. Seems silly to speak in absolutes saying everyone else will be bothered. I never use the Facebook type messengers and have gotten a bit of a kick out of all these fun apps.

But it does get in the way of core functionality; it's not obvious what buttons are responsible for what actions. The text bar and send button have been truncated to allow for the new symbols/shortcuts, which makes one-handed use more tricky. To disable visual effects, you have to do it system-wide with reduced motion; that's a compromise/workaround by definition. The UI changes were implemented to facilitate the addition of these new features, so it's fair game to question whether or not that was the right direction to take.

Apple's focus on simplicity is gradually eroding with each new iteration of iOS; that's the observation I'm trying to communicate. I don't expect everyone will agree on the consequences of this, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.