Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2001
I have a few questions for those of you with titaniums, I cant decide if I should buy (in few months when I gather some money) PowerMac 1GHz with GF4Ti or PBTi1GHz, both would cost me more or less same so...
This is BIG money for me so please help me make the right choice this is going to be my only machine for 3+ years

1. I need to have 2 external firewire enclosures with it, one with 120 GB Maxtor and fast CDRW burner but I am scared it wont work. I heard some people saying it crashes the machine when having devices connected in chain (because there is only one FW port on titanium), anyone tried that? How about burning data from external hard drive to CDRW? Wont that take up firewire bandwidth and make everything go away? :)

2. What about playing games on 800x600? I am addicted to Age of Empires 2 and I know LCD's are crappy on non-native resolutions, anyone tried it, how it looks?

What about playing games on 1024x768?

Can I play smoothly shooters like SOF2, moh:aa, ghost recon? What about wc3? I heard it gets slow during big battles, is that case with 1gig Ti?

3. Overall speed: in how many bounces apps launch when having few of them opened?
Do you notice big slowdown in responsibility when having lots of apps opened? Can I for example play iTunes, and burn cd's while playing quake 3? (that would be nice :))
I mean.. if things are a lot slower on titanium I am willing to sacrifice portability for speed.

4. overheating
Can I leave Ti to encode video for lets say 6-7 hours overnight? Can I play games for few hours? Because picture of that melted powerbook scares me a lot

It would be cool to use my imac g3 as second display for titanium, too bad its not possible :(

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
To answer your question
2: I have played AOE2 on my Formac and it looks horrible. I returned the game to the store straight away. Thankfully they took it...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
how important to you is portability?

for me, that's always been the deciding factor. if it's just a "nice to have," that's an awful lot of extra $$ for a maybe.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: 1GHz Titanium questions

Originally posted by Megaquad

2. What about playing games on 800x600? I am addicted to Age of Empires 2 and I know LCD's are crappy on non-native resolutions, anyone tried it, how it looks?

What about playing games on 1024x768?

Can I play smoothly shooters like SOF2, moh:aa, ghost recon? What about wc3? I heard it gets slow during big battles, is that case with 1gig Ti?
I play games on my Apple LCD + it is fine. I have the 17" Studio Display LCD + although I play my games at its native resolution 1280*1024 it is also fine at its next setting down (1024*768). If you go beyond that, it becomes a little fuzzy. I dont think you will have a program with games on your Tibook, you will be running them at your screens native resoultion anyway.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2001
Yeah but there are no games that can run on 1280x864, right?
and aoe2 looks too small on res bigger then 800x600 so I'd like to play on that resolution
oh well i can just get secondary CRT display

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Yeah but there are no games that can run on 1280x864, right?
and aoe2 looks too small on res bigger then 800x600 so I'd like to play on that resolution
oh well i can just get secondary CRT display
One of the recent Civ 3 patchs added support for the Tibook screen. Also, I think warcraft is compatible with the widescreen. I suggest you have a look at the popular games to see if they support the screen resolution (I think you will find quite a few that do).

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by Falleron

One of the recent Civ 3 patchs added support for the Tibook screen. Also, I think warcraft is compatible with the widescreen. I suggest you have a look at the popular games to see if they support the screen resolution (I think you will find quite a few that do).

In most new games such as MOH:AA Sof2 you can go into console and adjust the screen resolution so you can play in wide-screen mode.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by W-_-W

In most new games such as MOH:AA Sof2 you can go into console and adjust the screen resolution so you can play in wide-screen mode.
thanks both of u, i didnt know that
now if i could only hack aoe2 to be at 1280x864..

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001

thanks both of u, i didnt know that
now if i could only hack aoe2 to be at 1280x864..

It has to be hackable, it's a microsoft product :p

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
If you want to play games, and don't really care about portability, get the PowerMac with the GF4/5 and a good CRT. If you are waiting a while anyway, it's possible the Towers will be updated and/or price dropped a few weeks after MWSF. Even if they aren't, you can add an extra internal hard drive or 2 and faster extra CD-R/W. Or just more ports for your externals. Plus you get the Dual CPUs, faster stuff (FSB, IDE, RAM, CD/DVD, etc), easier to upgrade, and you can leave it on to render without much worry.

With the money you might wind up saving, you could always buy a low end iBook for portability.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
look, i got a pmac DP 1ghz and the only problem i have with it is i cant take it to school to show off to all of my mac-hating freinds and have them drool over it.

If you need to edit on the run and you are always moving, then get the pbook.

If you mostly stay at home or in one place, like solvs said, get the pmac and a low end ibook for running around.

the ibook still plays rendered video nicely and most games have yet to be optimised for altivec.

vitruvius

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Is there a way to hack Myst, Riven, Myst III: Exile, or realMyst to play on wide screen? Because I have Riven...and 640x480 is awful! :(

since they're bitmap based games in contrast with vector/3D , theres no way to enlarge the view without losing resolution.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by benixau
look, i got a pmac DP 1ghz and the only problem i have with it is i cant take it to school to show off to all of my mac-hating freinds and have them drool over it.

If you need to edit on the run and you are always moving, then get the pbook.

If you mostly stay at home or in one place, like solvs said, get the pmac and a low end ibook for running around.

the ibook still plays rendered video nicely and most games have yet to be optimised for altivec.
Yeah okay but that doesn't answer almost any of my questions if its good enough for me. Noone using TiBook answered but nevermind...

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
I have the TiBook 1Ghz.

The heat is not as much an issue as I heard on the previous models. It doesnt get nearly as hot as the G3 PBook I had before. It gets quite warm but I wouldn't say it gets "hot."

I have two firewire devices in a chain, a Lacie 60GB HD and DVD-RW. I have had no problems with it at all.

I did have a the DP 1Ghz PMac, I personally find the TiBook runs better. First of all it doesn't suffer from the kernel panics of doom. Secondly according to some bench marks and my personally feeling it runs a bit faster. Heres a link
to some cnet benchmarks.

I consider myself to be a power user and do image/video work on the machine as well as DVD production. The machine works flawlessly, it is the first computer I have no gripes with at all. But by all means get the gig of ram.

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
I love my Ti!!!

I have the 1GHz Ti and I have to say that I love it! I've been playing Jedi Knight 2 and W3 and 4x4 Evo 2 and they all run great! the other day I was running iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, Mozilla, Terminal, Mail, and Quicktime while do editing and browsing the web and burning audio cd's while doing video editing and all I have to say is that I'd love to see my PC do all that and still run as smooth!!! Although my friends DP 1GHz w/ 128Mb GF4 runs games a little better, the portability and the turning of heads I get make the Ti the best choice for me!

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2001
yeha thats what I wanted to hear
its coolness and ability to move around the house, and few times here and there make it better then powermac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.