Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evan becker

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2017
hey guys I saw something and tested it the other day about 2 apps split screen + a floating app. On the 2nd gen ipad pros all 3 apps are live meaning you can interact with all of them. The 1st gen (which I have) will only allow the floating app to be live then when you touch one of the split view apps the floating app goes away. Can anyone confirm this is happening to them and does anyone know if this is a bug or an intended usage difference between 1st and 2nd gen? also if anyone on 2nd gen can test this and see what happens that would be great.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
On the 9.7 IPP you can only have 2 apps in split screen OR 1 app open and 1 floating. I know that doesn’t really help, though :p.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
lol that doesn’t help but thanks
It leads me to believe it’s a bug. If Apple wanted to limit the first gen to only being able to run 2 responsive apps at a time they simply would do what they did with the 9.7 Pro and only allow either 2 split screen apps or 1 app and 1 floating app. But the fact that you can still pull up another floating app with 2 apps open leads me to believe it’s a bug.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
On Developer Preview 1 1st gen 12.9 pro owners reported that both split apps plus slideover was active while 1st gen 9.7 pro owners reported the split apps would pause and grey out. When DP2/PB1 rolled out 1st gen 12.9 users said their split apps also greyed out.

The fact that they grey out shows Apple have implemented an intentional behavior somewhere. Which devices end up being able to run all three simultanously remains to be seen but the common theory is that the DP2/PB1 behavior is a bug and will return to being able to actively run all three apps, while the 9.7 never will. The reason for this is RAM. 1st gen 12 inch has 4Gb, while the 9.7 has 2Gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.