Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
It really does make me sad, since i have been waiting for this for over a year, but it needs to go. The first one had serious backlight problems, the second one has two huge bright dead pixels that are very obvious. Add this to the complete lack of some basic funtionality, and it forces me to go back to verizon, and wait for the next revision. Sorry apple, i really wanted it to work out.

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2007
It really does make me sad, since i have been waiting for this for over a year, but it needs to go. The first one had serious backlight problems, the second one has two huge bright dead pixels that are very obvious. Add this to the complete lack of some basic funtionality, and it forces me to go back to verizon, and wait for the next revision. Sorry apple, i really wanted it to work out.

iPhone specs and features were available long before launch. If it was missing features you wanted, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Best of luck finding whatever solution best meets your needs!

Something to keep in mind: 2x bad luck may FEEL psychologically like a 3rd iPhone is more risky than some other phone. But Apple has an outstanding reliability record, and it may well be that some other phone is just as likely to be damaged on arrival as a 3rd iPhone. (And either choice will probably be perfect and undamaged: most iPhones are, just like most other phones. Which doesn't ease the frustration when you become the exception to the rule!)

As for certain features you NEED that the iPhone lacks, consider waiting to see what Apple adds via software update. Don't expect 3G or GPS, but just about anything else is possible, and Apple has said there WILL be new features added periodically for existing users.

You may also feel the need to punish Apple for your bad luck. I know I'd feel that way! So take heart in knowing that whether you go for 3 iPhones or stop at 2, they each cost Apple several hundred bucks :)

Now, if you already HAVE another phone and don't need to risk anything right now, waiting is bound to bring some improvements you'll appreciate in version 2!

iTom

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2002
Bunch of Whiners

I'm tired of hearing all the whining about what doesn't work and what's damaged and I must say I have a hard time believing folks who say they got two damaged or defective phones.I think some of these folks take joy in stirring the pot.I also think some of these folks bought iPhones got caught up in the frenzy and bought phones they couldn't afford.Now that reality has set in and they've gotten to play with the phone for a week they know they can take it back and only be out 50 or sixty bucks for a week of playing with the big folks.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I'm tired of hearing all the whining about what doesn't work and...
Are you telling me companies can ship hundreds of thousands of the same product with zero defects? 2 of them in a row may sound unlikely, but certainly possible.

although you're free to criticize them all you want for what you think is some dumb reasoning on their part, if you're tired of it, don't read it. Reading the short post topic in a list of other posts is nothing compared to reading the whole post, possibly any replies, and then actually posting a reply to it.

edit: I have to add a note that although we probably all share the same feelings about the "i'm returning my iPhone" threads, it's just as tiring to see the replies from people bitching about the people returning their iPhones.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Erm...she said the next revision would suit her needs.

To which I added additional discussion and ideas :) (See further down in my post.) Of course none of us can do more than guess what needs the next revision will meet.

I'm tired of hearing all the whining about what doesn't work and what's damaged and I must say I have a hard time believing folks who say they got two damaged or defective phones.

I see very little whining from iPhone owners, but bad luck DOES happen. When it does, people like Anthony should feel welcome to post their experience, whether to vent their understandable frustration, seek advice, or simply share what happened just like people do with positive experiences.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
Just to defend myself here, I had stuck pixels on my first iphone, and they never bothered me because they were so small. Then, the backlight completely died (if thats not a valid concern i don't know what is). This one, has what looks to be a stuck pixel the size of one on any lcd monitor. Which leads me to believe it may be a cluster. This isn't one that is mistakable, and i didn't have to search for it. The second you turn on the phone, you see the apple logo and a bright red spot right below it. This one is 4 times the size of the ones on my last iphone, so i really do think it is 4 clustered together.

I don't think flaming is in order here. These forums are for people to discuss their problems and delights with these products, and I posted so others would know my experience, and perhaps take it into account when making their buying decision. I know that i could get a third one, and see how that works out, but I feel like you can't buy time, and so far i have spent two entire nights on this thing (launch and the exchange). Spending a third night of my life on a cell phone seems a little ridiculous.

When I exchanged yesterday, the genius told me that they are capturing all iPhones with malfunctions, so that in the future they can perfect, or at least attempt to perfect their manufacturing process. So I decided to wait, and I'll jump back on the boat at that time. And yeah, I love apple, but don't you think it's a little fanboyish to tolerate several exchanges on a premium product? You all know that if this was say, an LG, phone, you would all be furious about defects. Let's not get ready to bend over and grease up just because it's apple. If those of us with problems didn't speak up, the hardware would never get better. I have said my peace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.