Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Long story, but basically I started and icloud ID, my sister (when she first got her iphone) used my email address for her appleid/icloud id.

I am trying to get these separate (one morning I woke up and had ALL of her contacts).

If I delete my icloud account (and create my own), will all of the contacts on her icloud account be deleted on her phone?

What is the proper route to take so when I delete the account, her contacts/phone will not be affected?

Thanks in advance!

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
If you delete the iCloud account on your iOS device it will just delete the icloud data from that device not the cloud itself.... so you are safe to delete the iCloud account via this method....

Settings > iCloud > Delete

You can then set up your own iCloud, what me and my partner do is share one ID for purchases and we both have our own seperate clouds, this way you can save money but still have seperate iCloud account so in your example:

iCloud account A: use this for iTunes & the app store etc... and also for your sisters iCloud

iCloud account B: this will be your iCloud account, with its seperate photstreams and the like, I wouldnt use this account to make purchases though, so then if your sister buys an app for example, you can instantly download it by going to App Store > updates > purchased.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks, James.

Basically, I just want us to have completely separate icloud accounts. I want to delete it on my phone and make sure hers is still usable on her phone so that her account is untouched/her contacts are all still there.

I don't want anything "shared" anymore or anything. This was basically an accident/misunderstanding on my sister's part by making ours the same.

So I can san safely delete the account on my phone though right and her whole phone/that icloud will still be active?

Also, if my sister decides to get away from that icloud account to and create a whole new apple id AND icloud account, will all of her contacts still be okay (or will they be erased)?

Also, what is the best method to use for backing up contacts? I think I'd feel better about at least backing my sister's contacts up before I delete my icloud account.

Thanks much!

Last edited:

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Hi

No problem glad to have helped.

If your sister wants to set up a new iCloud account, when you hit delete on her device, when it asks, would you like to delete data from the iphone press no, or whatever option it gives you, as the first prompt will be to delete the icloud account and the second prompt will ask if you want to remove the icloud data from the device, in the second instance you would hit no or keep data or whatever it asks not sure which ???

Then once she sets up a new icloud account the contacts etc which have remained on her phone will then back up to her new icloud account.

Hope this helps.

James

P.S. Also all your contacts etc are all backed up to icloud, you can check that its all there by visiting iCloud.com and loging in using your icloud details.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks again, James! That does help. I just want to be sure not to erase her contacts as they are important to her job.

You've been a great help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.