Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
I recently bought an 2013 11" Air, which I use as a desktop as home, but have been finding myself wanting the 13" Retina display model quite a lot. So I've been perusing eBay and found late a few late 2012 models listed just below $1000, one of them even including a SuperDrive. Is this model worth that price?

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Why not get the late 2013 rMBP for $1099 at the Apple refurb store? You get full warranty and even 2 weeks to decide whether you want to keep it or not. And the lightest weight rMBP available.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If you use it like a desktop, why wouldn't you just buy a mini + nice monitor? It's a nicer setup for the money.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Why not get the late 2013 rMBP for $1099 at the Apple refurb store? You get full warranty and even 2 weeks to decide whether you want to keep it or not. And the lightest weight rMBP available.

Half the RAM and $200 more with tax. It's worth considering, but not an easy choice.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Half the RAM and $200 more with tax. It's worth considering, but not an easy choice.

Exactly. I ended up going for a late 2012 model that only had 43 charge cycles on it, and came with a SuperDrive, for $975. I'm happy with that deal.

----------

If you use it like a desktop, why wouldn't you just buy a mini + nice monitor? It's a nicer setup for the money.

I need a laptop because I have classes 2 days a week.

----------

Only 4GB ram :(

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
Exactly. I ended up going for a late 2012 model that only had 43 charge cycles on it, and came with a SuperDrive, for $975. I'm happy with that deal.

----------

I need a laptop because I have classes 2 days a week.

----------

Only 4GB ram :(

Made exactly the same choice like you - battery was just 30 cycles, double the amount of ram and SSD. The only really noticeable downside is the HD 4000 :)

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Made exactly the same choice like you - battery was just 30 cycles, double the amount of ram and SSD. The only really noticeable downside is the HD 4000 :)

I agree. The HD 4000 will be the only downside, but I can live with that. The only "taxing" process I do on my Mac is video blog editing in iMovie. All I know is a 2.5GHz i5 Ivy Bridge with 8GB of RAM will make for a better everything computer than a 1.3GHz Haswell with 4GB of RAM, so I'm stoked.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I agree. The HD 4000 will be the only downside, but I can live with that. The only "taxing" process I do on my Mac is video blog editing in iMovie. All I know is a 2.5GHz i5 Ivy Bridge with 8GB of RAM will make for a better everything computer than a 1.3GHz Haswell with 4GB of RAM, so I'm stoked.

Its funny I just saw that you come from MBA as well :D. I got my 2013 MBA a month ago, but I really wanted the MBP and eventually changed my MBA for 2012 MBP, and have been very satisfied so far :)

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Its funny I just saw that you come from MBA as well :D. I got my 2013 MBA a month ago, but I really wanted the MBP and eventually changed my MBA for 2012 MBP, and have been very satisfied so far :)

That's hysterical that we both switched from the same MBA to the same MBP w/ Retina. I'm so glad you're loving the MBP though! How's the battery on Mavericks?

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
That's hysterical that we both switched from the same MBA to the same MBP w/ Retina. I'm so glad you're loving the MBP though! How's the battery on Mavericks?

Battery is surprisingly good, yet its far from the Air. I haven't measured precisely how long does it last, but it was at least 5-6 hours including typing on pages +significant use of safari + 30 min of watching video.
How is the performance on Mavericks for you, have you noticed occasional/minor lag in the UI?

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana

I came to the same conclusion myself. I was debating between a refurb 2013 rMBP or a 2012 with a 512gb SSD and an I7 for less money. I bought the 2012 which I'm EXTREMELY pleased with. With Mavericks I can surf the web for about 8 hrs and the graphics are smooth as butter. And after having an 11" 64gb 2012 MacBook Air this 512 SSD feels like an endless ocean!

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
All I know is a 2.5GHz i5 Ivy Bridge with 8GB of RAM will make for a better everything computer than a 1.3GHz Haswell with 4GB of RAM, so I'm stoked.
The base model late 2013 13" Haswell rMBP is 2.4 GHz, not 1.3 GHz and it's a substantially faster computer in real world usage than the comparable 2012 Ivy Bridge model. Has longer battery life as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9zonJoMgJ8

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
1. He was talking about his Macbook Air
2. That video is comparing the Quad Core 15" 2013 vs 2012, not the 13"'s dual core CPU.

Based on your siggy, I feel that you have excellent taste in gadgets. What do you think of my purchase? Being a college kid, I didn't have an infinite budget sadly. I think a 2012 MBP Retina with a SuperDrive for $975 shipped is a pretty decent deal! Sure, the latest model would've only cost $200 more, but then I'd only have 4GB RAM vs. the 8 my machine comes with.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Based on your siggy, I feel that you have excellent taste in gadgets. What do you think of my purchase? Being a college kid, I didn't have an infinite budget sadly. I think a 2012 MBP Retina with a SuperDrive for $975 shipped is a pretty decent deal! Sure, the latest model would've only cost $200 more, but then I'd only have 4GB RAM vs. the 8 my machine comes with.

It is a great purchase. Right now I am at college, and I decided I was getting the best bang for my buck with the iMac when compared to the MacBooks (I also never needed portability). One of my friends at college has the MacBook Pro you have just purchased and it is still a very good buy. With the RAM not being user-upgradable in the retina MacBook Pro's, the decision to have have gone for the rMBP with 4Gb of RAM would have been a big mistake.

The processor difference is not massive, and it has to be noted that the MacBook Pro with retina display will have to push 4 times the number of pixels compared to your MacBook Pro. This means that once you have subtracted this amount of extra CPU usage (as well as GPU usage) needed to run these retina applications, I would argue that the performance of the retina would be equal if not worse when compared to your MacBook Pro.

From what I have seen, 4Gb of RAM is actually reasonable with OSX Mavericks (due to RAM compression mainly), but I see the next iteration of OSX to be a big change (maybe a kernel re-write, GUI change...) meaning 4Gb of RAM could very well be the minimum RAM requirement for that. 8Gb of RAM will defiantly get you a lot more out of your MacBook before you upgrade.

From what I have seen on my friends MacBook Pro that is the same model as yours (although he has 4Gb), is that it has a lot of life in it left. I have seen it get through Photoshop, iMovie, Premiere Pro, Illustrator... without any problems.

This machine is highly upgradable as well when compared to the RMBP, as you can still upgrade the HDD to an SSD later on when you have the money to do so. And if you find yourself not using the SuperDrive, you can actually keep your HDD in your MacBook Pro and replace the SuperDrive with an SSD. It is a bit of a complicated job, but that way you could have your Operating System on the SSD, along with all your applications, then any files on the HDD. This is of course just an option that you have if you wish, and something you would not have been able to do with the entry Retina model. This is of course you see yourself benefiting with an SSD.

I have ran many tests myself on the whole HDD vs SSD argument, and the SSD gives better boot time, applications launch faster first time, and importing/exporting is much faster. But when you brake this down, most people only restart their Mac once in a blue moon (there are some than only even due it when the software update requires it) so Boot-up times are certainly not worth paying all the extra money for an SSD. When it comes to launching apps, the SSD opens them up faster first time but once you have opened then up on a HDD, the Apps get cached in RAM (this is where 8Gb of RAM is highly more beneficial when compared to 4Gb). This means that when you open the application again, it opens almost instantly (or as fast as the SSD). Last night, I opened the application folder, selected all of my applications, then double tapped (opening all of them at the same time). The first time I done this it taken around 30-40 seconds for all of the apps to open up (and SSD would have done it in less than 10 seconds). Now that all apps where cached in RAM, I closed them all and done the same test. This time they all opened up in around 6-7 seconds. Overall, I would say that you are fine with your HDD in your MacBook right now, but if you are doing a lot of importing and exporting, you can always replace either the SuperDrive or the HDD with an SSD.

For your budget, the MacBook you chose is easily the better deal of the two. The entry Retina MacBook is fine if you want to replace it in 2 years time but from what I have seen from the non retina is that it should easily get 5 years of good use before performance is lacking. I hope you enjoy your purchase :)

And thank you for the compliment on my Signature :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.