Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

linkedinlogo-250x250.jpg
Russia's communications regulator has blocked public access to LinkedIn after an earlier court ruling found the social networking firm to have violated data storage laws (via Reuters).

LinkedIn, which has over 6 million registered users in Russia, becomes the first major social network to be blocked by Russian authorities after falling afoul of the country's stringent data storage laws, which require personal information of Russian citizens to be stored on Russian servers.

LinkedIn's site will be blocked within 24 hours, according to a report by the Interfax news agency. One Internet service provider, Rostelcom, said it had already blocked access to the site, while two others - MTS and Vimpelcom - said they would do so within 24 hours.

LinkedIn has yet to comment on the order by the Russian communications regulator, but the U.S. company warned earlier this month that the court ruling risked denying access to its site for millions of individual and corporate members situated in Russia.

A spokesperson for Russian communications regulator Roskomnadzor told Reuters it had received a letter from LinkedIn management on Friday requesting a meeting, but that the watchdog had to get approval from the country's foreign ministry before the meeting could take place.

The law requiring companies that store the personal data of citizens to do so on Russian servers was introduced in 2014, but has never previously been enforced. The law was adopted on grounds of "overall state security issues" and "increased instances of personal data leakage", but critics see it as part of a broader effort to tighten control over internet access.

Article Link: Russian Authorities Order Internet Providers to Block LinkedIn Website

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
falling afoul of the country's stringent data storage laws, which require personal information of Russian citizens to be stored on Russian servers.

So does this mean that they will be soon be blocking Google, internet forums etc..?

Seems a bit funny that after two years they choose to target LinkedIn to finally start enforcing the rule. Makes you wonder if there is more to all of this.

mikeylikesit

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
The second paragraph is incorrect. Microsoft has an agreement to buy LinkedIn but the transaction has not closed.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
To be fair, LinkedIn is pretty dodgy/creepy in their data collection, so I understand why foreign states wouldn't want that being hosted in the United States given the amount of government surveillance that takes place there.

For one, LinkedIn datamines people's contacts and even though I don't allow access to my contacts if I email someone who does, I'll suddenly get recommendations on my end to add them on LinkedIn as soon as they have my email. Also, if I view someone's profile without being logged in, they'll use unique identifiers to figure out it's still me and still tell that person I viewed their profile (figured this out after I was looking at a potential employee's profile in a "private tab" and they requested to add me like 10 minutes later, which could have been coincidental but I doubt it).

mistafro

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2003
Deactivate it here too please! Lol

I unsubscribe from all emails and mysteriously a few weeks later emails from them start coming again! Time to delete my account or will that be hidden so deep I can't find it?!

Reactions: Goatllama

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Well if they do this to LinkedIn, will they go after iCloud and your AppleID (emails, documents, music, pictures, etc.) which are not stored in Russia? What about Dropbox? Where do they draw the line?

Last edited:

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
To be fair, LinkedIn is pretty dodgy/creepy in their data collection, so I understand why foreign states wouldn't want that being hosted in the United States given the amount of government surveillance that takes place there.

You think Russia has less government surveillance than the US?
o_O:rolleyes:

Reactions: macs4nw

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
You think Russia has less government surveillance than the US?
o_O:rolleyes:

No. I just very much doubt Russia wants to give US intelligence that much data on all of its citizens when Russia can have it hosted on their own soil, monitor them themselves, and make it more difficult for the US to obtain that same data on the Russian population.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

For one, LinkedIn datamines people's contacts and even though I don't allow access to my contacts if I email someone who does, I'll suddenly get recommendations on my end to add them on LinkedIn as soon as they have my email. Also, if I view someone's profile without being logged in, they'll use unique identifiers to figure out it's still me and still tell that person I viewed their profile (figured this out after I was looking at a potential employee's profile in a "private tab" and they requested to add me like 10 minutes later, which could have been coincidental but I doubt it).
I find it pretty ironic how much of an overly attached girlfriend they are pulling on their customers whilst claiming to be a network for professionals.

Glassed Silver:ios

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011

Google has been doing this for ages. Amazon also been doing it for all your searches.

Facebook on the other hand is on the extreme level of data mining.

Unless you can get away from all 3, LinkedIn actually doesn't seem that creepy to me when they only used it to make some suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.