Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Logan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Calgary, AB
For the past few months I had been experiencing unresponsive keys (typing normally and sometimes a key press wouldn't register) and a persistent sticky key on my 2017 MBP Pro. The apostrophe key felt very different and required a different press than the other keys.

Apple Store appointment last week, they removed the apostrophe key to clean, and did some compressed air cleaning on the keyboard. They said I may just need to use compressed air at home regularly.

Still wasn't working properly this week, and I wasn't happy with the solution of using compressed air at home. I went back Tuesday (Sept 18), explained the ongoing issue. Without hesitation they sent it off to the repair center with a quoted turn around time of 1 week+. To my surprise only 2 days later, I got it back this morning shipped directly to my door! I'm incredibly impressed at the speed of the repair.

The entire top case was replaced, therefore new keyboard/track pad, and it says the battery was replaced also (confirmed via cycle count in system info). The new keyboard feels a lot better, perhaps even better than when I first bought it. I'd love to know what they're being replaced with/what changes are made in the replacements. Hopefully it remains fixed, I was becoming very discouraged by the new keyboard design.

Reactions: baypharm

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
This experience highlights my own. If you don't get satisfaction at the Apple Store, just go back again. If I've ever left the store less than fully satisfied, my issue has always been fully resolved the second time. This is for subjective situations, where something isn't clearly broken. If something is clearly wrong - won't boot - it's fixed the first time.

If I read ifixit correctly, they replaced the top case, of which the keyboard is a well-integrated part.

ahmedouvix

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
I've been having keyboard problems for 10 months now. I have more than 10 failing keys. I went to the authorized service centre in my country and they want one week to test my MacBook and an additional 2 to 4 months to fix it. it's ridiculous. when I contact apple support they say there is nothing they can do. my warranty ended too and I have no idea what to do now. how can someone live with no computer for 2+ months!

mpjones84

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Kent, England
I was going to ask how everyone had found the replacement keyboards. Its just my left shift key, so I might just get some canned air.

VossProject

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2017
I had three replacements before I gave up on my 2017 MBPro. Took a lawyer to get a refund! My 2018 is working just fine.
would you mind sharing which lawyer you used through a private message or something? I had my 2016 MBP repaired 3 times, encountered a 4th issue and they finally replaced it with a 2017. Only to have more issues with my 2017 and insist that they keep repairing my devices. I simply can't afford to keep sending out my computer for 1-2 weeks. I rely on my computer for work and school so it just doesn't work for me. I'm not really sure what to do anymore.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
it's usually stating the state's lemon law, i had to look into that for a client couple months back on a car purchase, you can find it in your state attorney general's website.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
would you mind sharing which lawyer you used through a private message or something? I had my 2016 MBP repaired 3 times, encountered a 4th issue and they finally replaced it with a 2017. Only to have more issues with my 2017 and insist that they keep repairing my devices. I simply can't afford to keep sending out my computer for 1-2 weeks. I rely on my computer for work and school so it just doesn't work for me. I'm not really sure what to do anymore.

I have already had several requests and talked to my lawyer and he said he did it for me as a favor and does not want to get involved. Hope you get it worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.