Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
OK, so I am now using a 2019 MBA. Unsure what I think about it. I'll save detailed thoughts for another day.

But was wondering about the keyboard sounds on the different MBA models. I've used a 2013, 2015 MBA for years. Many keys are virtually silent; others make a slight, barely perceptible, soft “plunk” sound. The only key that makes a distinct sound — a springy, clickety sound — is the SPACE bar. In general, for years, I've barely noticed the keyboard when typing. In fact, I had to spend a bit of time typing and really listening to even be able to describe it here.

In contrast, on the 2019, every key makes a loud “thunky“ noise. The space bar is deep in tone; several keys sound a bit more like the 2013-2017 space bar— that is, a springy sound; but they are ALL noisy — noticeable and distracting.

I assume I'll get used to it (hope so) (it's always bad initially when one notices a change), but was wondering what the 2020 keyboard sounds like.

Is it more like the 2019? Or, with greater travel and scissor type mechanism, does it now sound more like the 2013-2017 MBAs?

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Does the keyboard noise REALLY bother you that much? Sounds super picky to me to notice so much a difference that it would make it unusable for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.