Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Toyota today announced that its all-new 2020 Supra sports car, introduced at the annual Detroit Auto Show this week, will feature wireless CarPlay.

2020-toyota-supra-800x533.jpg
2020 Toyota Supra

The upgraded 3.0 Premium trim, starting at $53,990 in the United States, will feature an 8.8-inch wide-format touchscreen display with wireless CarPlay, a premium 12-speaker JBL audio system, and Qi-based wireless smartphone charging. No further details about the system were shared at this time.

Wireless CarPlay enables drivers to use Apple's in-car software platform without connecting an iPhone to the system via Lightning to USB cable. Toyota will join BMW in offering wireless CarPlay as a factory-installed feature, while Mercedes-Benz has also indicated it plans to offer the feature.

This will be the first new Supra sold in the United States in over two decades. The vehicle will go on sale at Toyota dealerships in the first half of 2019.

Also at the Detroit Auto Show, Kia introduced its all-new 2020 Telluride midsize SUV with wired CarPlay compatibility on an available 10.25-inch touchscreen. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles also expanded its CarPlay vehicle lineup with the new 2019 Ram Heavy Duty, equipped with a 12-inch reconfigurable touchscreen.

kia-telluride-800x533.jpg
2020 Kia Telluride

Kia and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles did not disclose pricing or exactly when in 2019 the new Telluride and Ram Heavy Duty will be available.

Article Link: 2020 Toyota Supra Features Wireless CarPlay

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
The New Supra is basically the same car as the BMW Z4 as they were co-developed.

So no doubt the Supra is just using BMW's iDrive system with a custom skin ( ala Mini does ) - if you look at the interior photos it's literally a BMW with a Toyota badge on the wheel !

Berzerker7

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2015
It's a BMW that runs iDrive, based on the Z4 platform. If you watch interior videos it looks *exactly* like a Z4 inside. So, all of this is no surprise.

Reactions: 69Mustang

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Why isn't wireless CarPlay available across the board. Drib Drab....apple you move at a glacial rate. Enough already, get this out there for all to enjoy. Geez

Reactions: EdT and jpbarbosa

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
That thing has stolen the Ugliest Production Car Ever crown from the veloster. And that's saying something, since the veloster has committed a cardinal sin by being asymmetrical.

The powerplant in hyundai is laughable. My JK is half the size and makes more power; I bet it's zero to sixty is measured in weeks, not seconds.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
Is it technically possible to add this to older vehicles that are car play compatible? For instance, could my '17 CRV get a software update to support wireless car play?

forza1976

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Grand Haven MI
Wow. This is news? My MY2018 M550 has both wireless CarPlay and Wireless charging already. I realize CP wasn’t available until late last year, but the car hardware was capable when it was built in late 2017.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Well the vast majority of the car is BMW, including the infotainment system, so makes sense.

Something tells me that unlike BMW, Toyota isn't going to charge $80 a year for CarPlay, like BMW does after the first year now.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Is it technically possible to add this to older vehicles that are car play compatible? For instance, could my '17 CRV get a software update to support wireless car play?
This is what I want to know. I have a 19 Ram with CarPlay and Wireless charging but yet I still have to connect to use CarPlay. Makes no sense. Even if there is a charge, I’ll gladly pay it. What the heck is $80-$100 for a year. Not much.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Wow. This is news? My MY2018 M550 has both wireless CarPlay and Wireless charging already. I realize CP wasn’t available until late last year, but the car hardware was capable when it was built in late 2017.

All 2017 and 2018 BMW models with the Navigation package include the option to unlock wireless CarPlay in the ConnectedDrive store for $300, if it wasn't already done and invoiced when the car was built.
[doublepost=1547501994][/doublepost]
Why isn't wireless CarPlay available across the board. Drib Drab....apple you move at a glacial rate. Enough already, get this out there for all to enjoy. Geez

Has nothing to do with Apple, and everything to do with the automotive manufacturer.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The New Supra is basically the same car as the BMW Z4 as they were co-developed.

So no doubt the Supra is just using BMW's iDrive system with a custom skin ( ala Mini does ) - if you look at the interior photos it's literally a BMW with a Toyota badge on the wheel !

Well the vast majority of the car is BMW, including the infotainment system, so makes sense.

It's a BMW that runs iDrive, based on the Z4 platform. If you watch interior videos it looks *exactly* like a Z4 inside. So, all of this is no surprise.

The worst shame is they're using a BMW sourced engine with Toyota mapping. A Supra with no updated 2JZ variant or Toyota sourced inline 6.:( Couple that with BMW's notorious reliability reputation. I'd bet this thing will never have the cache' of the original... one pristine example just sold for $120K

Reactions: Klyster

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
A long time ago, I was a big Supra enthusiast. I owned a MKIII (1989) Turbo model and later, a '97 Anniversary Edition MKIV Supra.

The thing that really made the car a legend was the ability to make high horsepower with the MKIV's design. The engine was over-engineered, to the point where people were commonly swapping out the original twin turbochargers with massive single turbos and running 900-1000HP without a need to change the engine block first.

Even for those uninterested in doing big, costly performance enhancements, the car had a lot of room to make more power with only basic changes. (A custom valve you could build with under $15 in parts out of a Grainger catalog would cause the factory turbos to build several PSI more boost before the wastegate opened, for example. That would net you a 30-40HP gain, with no big downside - since again, it was all within the tolerances the car's internals could handle well.)

The Supras always had a "relatively nice" cabin in them, for the era. My MKIII featured a suspension that you could put in sport mode with the push of a button -- a pretty cool feature for a car made in the 1980's. But they didn't really ever do much as far as having a fancy stereo system. I recall spending a lot of money upgrading my MKIV's stereo, which required cutting holes in the doors to install separate tweeters, etc. The MKIV didn't even have cup holders in it, since it was viewed as more of a pure sports/performance car.'' So .... making a big deal out of Apple CarPlay support in this one tells me it's going a different direction. I don't think Toyota really gets what made the older car so special to people?

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
All 2017 and 2018 BMW models with the Navigation package include the option to unlock wireless CarPlay in the ConnectedDrive store for $300, if it wasn't already done and invoiced when the car was built.
[doublepost=1547501994][/doublepost]

Has nothing to do with Apple, and everything to do with the automotive manufacturer.

I know at least one manufacturer who would beg to differ

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...n-from-demonstrating-wireless-carplay-at-ces/

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Car infotainment hardware is usually finalized a year or two before a car model first comes out, and then cars models are only updated every few years at best. So because Apple announced wireless carplay in 2015, it makes sense that about 3-4 years later we are finally seeing it supported in new cars.

Reactions: centauratlas

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
New Supra starts at 49k with iPod support (USB cable) or upgrade to Carplay with wireless charging for just 56K. You sure this car wasn't manufactured by Apple???

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The worst shame is they're using a BMW sourced engine with Toyota mapping. A Supra with no updated 2JZ variant or Toyota sourced inline 6.:( Couple that with BMW's notorious reliability reputation. I'd bet this thing will never have the cache' of the original... one pristine example just sold for $120K

What notorious reputation. I drive 20k miles a year, rare to have any problems, definitely not any engine ones...

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
No kidding. "Sports" 2020 vehicle but it's a pure ICE, and they want $50K for it? What a joke.

Makes sense. Most people into sports cars want that ICE rumble. Most people going electric are doing so for economic and environmental reasons, things most sports car enthusiasts don't factor into their purchasing decision. Sure there are exceptions like the P100D, but for everyone of those sold, dozens of Model 3's, Chevy Bolts, etc. are sold.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
A long time ago, I was a big Supra enthusiast. I owned a MKIII (1989) Turbo model and later, a '97 Anniversary Edition MKIV Supra.

The worst shame is they're using a BMW sourced engine with Toyota mapping. A Supra with no updated 2JZ variant or Toyota sourced inline 6.

2JZ is a beast.
B M Trouble you hasn't got Toyota reliability, that's for sure!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.