Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently submitted an unnamed "Wireless Device" to the FCC, a U.S. government agency that regulates communications, for the third time. The latest filing lists a model number of A1845, slotting in between A1844 in the first filing and A1846 in the second, but there are no new clues as to what the device could be.

fcc-a1845.jpg

Apple again requested permanent confidentiality for most of the documents in the filing, including photos, user manuals, and schematics, so the entry largely remains a mystery. Test reports completed by UL Verification Services reveal that, just like in the first two filings, the device has Bluetooth LE and NFC.

The model numbers A1844, A1845, and A1846 do not correspond to any existing Apple products. A regulatory label in the first filing showed the device has at least two slightly curved edges and two Torx screws, but Apple cropped the image in the second and third filings, likely to give fewer hints about its design.

When the original "Wireless Device" was uncovered, there was some speculation that it could perhaps be a new Apple TV, but the prominent and lengthy regulatory text etched directly on the device, including a wiring guide, would be uncharacteristic of Apple to include on the exterior of a consumer-facing product.

The more likely explanation is that the wireless device is for internal use. It is possible that the device in question is something that is used in retail Apple stores, such as a product display unit or iBeacon-based equipment used to communicate with customer iOS devices, which Apple has filed with the FCC in the past.

The FCC filing could remain a mystery until the device is released, and we may not ever know if it does end up being a product for internal use. But it's fun to speculate, with predictions ranging from Apple's rumored Siri-enabled speaker to a smart thermostat given the RS-485 control signals listed.

Article Link: Apple Submits Third Model of Mystery 'Wireless Device' With Bluetooth and NFC to FCC

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
This is quiet interesting.

700mA rules out any kinds of charging system or anything with ever a remotely powerful CPU.
RS485, usually refers to Serial communication.
It seems like a dumb device.

Only possible consumer facing device I would see this as is some sort of home automation device.
More farfetched ideas could be a step into automotive.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
This is quiet interesting.

700mA rules out any kinds of charging system or anything with ever a remotely powerful CPU.
RS485, usually refers to Serial communication.
It seems like a dumb device.

Only possible consumer facing device I would see this as is some sort of home automation device.
More farfetched ideas could be a step into automotive.

It does seem a lot like a smart thermostat.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think this has to do with some sort of NFC Demo, home automation or Perhaps a Bluetooth thermostat, or a door entry point with an access card.

I don't think it's anything too secret. I don't believe it's anything resale related.

Last edited:

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
My guess:
Contactless swipe reader for doors at the new Apple campus.
Bluetooth beacon for location alerts on your iPhone/watch,
NFC and Touch ID to gain entry.

The majority of modern offices have swipe cards for its employees. Seems silly for Apple to use another companies solution when they are half-way there with there own products already!

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
My guess:
Contactless swipe reader for doors at the new Apple campus.

The majority of modern offices have swipe cards for its employees. Seems silly for Apple to use another companies solution when they are half-way there with there own products already!

Of course, pictures would give it away, as it too would have to be curved, and, doesn't ruin the design aesthetic for the zero entry doorways...

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I hope Apple isnt about to suggest that wireless charging is a feature worth talking about. It's merely just a method to get the damn device working. Almost as dry as talking about switching from the 30 pin connecter to lightning.

Bring us some real change some real great ground breaking design in the next iPhone and iPads!!!!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I hope Apple isnt about to suggest that wireless charging is a feature worth talking about. It's merely just a method to get the damn device working. Almost as dry as talking about switching from the 30 pin connecter to lightning.

Bring us some real change some real great ground breaking design in the next iPhone and iPads!!!!!

I'm not sure why you're incorporating iPhones/iPads, the article states it's not involved with existing Apple products.

Last edited:

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
As I noted before, the RS-485 makes it very likely this is for some type of automation. Furthermore, I didn't notice before, but it bears the UL Recognized Component mark, meaning it isn't a final consumer product. This is almost certainly some type of automation device.

The only real question is - is it for consumers (part of an Apple smart home or business solution), or simply something they're using for controls in their own stores?

Reactions: SkippyThorson

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
AR headset?
Ready for a WWDC introduction? (WWDC makes sense as the device will likely need specially developed software)

andycarver

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2012
QLD, Australia
It's a dongle dongle. Seriously though home automation device. Temp, Cam, security. It will be a product, I don't believe apple would use an A1*** part code for an internal part.

Reactions: Dreamail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.