Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is releasing a software update for its Echo range of smart speakers that enables households with multiple Echos to use them as room-to-room intercoms (via TechCrunch).

Once the new feature is set up, users are able to select a speaker in a specific room and communicate with it one-to-one - to call the kids to dinner from the kitchen Echo, for example.

FamilyShot_centered.jpg

To enable the function, users must first give a distinctive name (such as a room) to each Echo in their household and enable the Drop-In feature using the Alexa app.

The intercom system works through household groups created during the setup process, meaning it's not limited to speakers on the same Wi-Fi, so it's possible to communicate with Echo-owning friends or relatives in a different area code, for instance. Users can also use the feature away from home using the Alexa app.

The Drop-In feature first appeared on Amazon's new Echo Show with integrated display, with some reviewers finding the video aspect a little intrusive. Similarly, there doesn't seem to be a way to block the intercom audio on the standard Echo range, so it's worth keeping this in mind before enabling it.

The update is rolling out to the Echo family of speakers this week.

Article Link: Amazon Echo Smart Speakers Gain Room-to-Room Intercom Feature

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
If I got this right the audio is automatically two-way, right? I take it you need to "pick up" fitst then right?

Either way, lovely feature, might consider using it.

Glassed Silver:ios

Reactions: CarpalMac

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I'd rather do it via iMessage tbh. Even though intercom will doubtless be a HomePod feature, it's easy peasy to AirPlay an audio message to the Apple TV or Airplay speakers.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I must be the only person who owns a house small enough to actually call someone else using nothing but my voice. Granted it does sometimes require me to walk around for a couple for a couple of seconds. I've even found myself wandering outside. The horror.

Seriously, this seems like an eavesdrop waiting to happen. I don't typically buy into conspiracy theories, but If I recall correctly this is the same company that stripped the encryption out their OS and now they want to interconnect all of these two way speakers.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
So let's get this right. This device will allow me to talk to people with my actual voice? Beat that Darwin and your so called Theory Of Evolution!
[doublepost=1498560829][/doublepost]
Next you'll be able to call other users.

Can't wait for this technology to become small enough to fit in my pocket and cart around with me.

How preposterous. You'll also be saying we can watch images of people in our living rooms that aren't actually physically there next!

jaymie1983

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2007
Earth
Technology is getting ridiculous, it's encouraging people to be lazy and it's getting intrusive between people, it's not cool and we don't need it

Reactions: BruceEBonus

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
This is a pretty cool feature. Now if you can drop in without permission, I can see that being an issue. But that is easily fixed via a future update.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This is a pretty cool feature. Now if you can drop in without permission, I can see that being an issue. But that is easily fixed via a future update.

This should be mentioned in the article. By default, it is set so anyone in your contacts can drop in. You have to manually change it to household only.

Drop in on the new show has drop in off by default though.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'd rather do it via iMessage tbh. Even though intercom will doubtless be a HomePod feature, it's easy peasy to AirPlay an audio message to the Apple TV or Airplay speakers.

Yeah, but at $400 for HomePods, how many homes will have multiples of those devices. There are definitely going to be features that Amazon can do better since it is selling the Dot at $50. This is one of them. And it seems great.

I was never going to set up Drop In. But if I can set it up just for this feature, I might.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah, but at $400 for HomePods, how many homes will have multiples of those devices. There are definitely going to be features that Amazon can do better since it is selling the Dot at $50. This is one of them. And it seems great.

I was never going to set up Drop In. But if I can set it up just for this feature, I might.

and you can limit it to just household members.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
and you can limit it to just household members.

I assume you can limit it to your Echos that are in your home. But anyone in the home will be able to use the intercom feature. I'm not inclined to buy any of these things that include a camera, so no risk there for me at this point. But if you did set this up and you did buy the Echo View thing which you are supposed to put in bathroom or bedroom to help you check your outfit in the morning, well the issues are pretty obvious. The pranks from kids and friends will happen.

Still the possibilities are endless. I don't think folks realize how useful hands free always on user interface is. I could see married couples setting these up for home and work (assuming the work person has a private office) with a spouse being able to checkin throughout the day and easily communicate. Is it full VOIP? Can I set one up for instant overseas connection between offices? Or friends and family? Sure we can do that with our phones, but this is easier and Dots are only $50.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I must be the only person who owns a house small enough to actually call someone else using nothing but my voice. Granted it does sometimes require me to walk around for a couple for a couple of seconds. I've even found myself wandering outside. The horror.

Seriously, this seems like an eavesdrop waiting to happen. I don't typically buy into conspiracy theories, but If I recall correctly this is the same company that stripped the encryption out their OS and now they want to interconnect all of these two way speakers.
They built it back in iirc and whilst - I - always prefer just yelling through the house unfortunately not everyone thinks like us in this regard. :)

Glassed Silver:ios

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Yeah, but at $400 for HomePods, how many homes will have multiples of those devices.

My guess? Many. I have at least 6 Sonos zones, at my last count. The amount spent could buy at least as many HomePods.

But even in a home with a need for six music zones, I have no desire for an “intercom” system. Hellllooooooo 1962!

Reactions: LiveM

mikeyteh

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Available 20 years ago in my grandparents house, and to tell you the truth, nobody used it, nobody!!!

View attachment 706050

I think you're missing the point. It's handsfree. You don't have to get up, walk over to the unit, press and hold a button. You just speak and your voice is heard on the other Echos in the house. Now you don't have to stop what you're doing.

Imagine you're making dinner for the family, and your hands are covered in whatever food products you were handling. Your old intercom would require you to interrupt food prep, wash your hands, then go push the button. Now you can just say, "Dinner's almost ready!" and keep wrapping up. I think it's a great feature.

Reactions: kdarling

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think you're missing the point. It's handsfree. You don't have to get up, walk over to the unit, press and hold a button. You just speak and your voice is heard on the other Echos in the house. Now you don't have to stop what you're doing.

Imagine you're making dinner for the family, and your hands are covered in whatever food products you were handling. Your old intercom would require you to interrupt food prep, wash your hands, then go push the button. Now you can just say, "Dinner's almost ready!" and keep wrapping up. I think it's a great feature.

stop speaking this logical talk. More features is a bad thing apparently =/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.