Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced plans to unveil a next-generation video platform this fall, which will be introduced first to DirecTV Now customers later this summer.

As part of a beta test for the platform, DirecTV Now subscribers will gain access to a cloud DVR feature, which will allow them to record and access their shows from anywhere. A wide selection of live channels will be able to be recorded, with 4K and HD video quality.

directvnowclouddvrbeta.jpg

"We all want easy and quick access to our content, regardless of where, when or on what device we watch it," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Entertainment Group. "By developing for a single video platform, we'll deliver new features and platform innovations in a faster, more efficient way. And it will be simple and consistent wherever you watch--TV, phone or tablet."
AT&T also plans to introduce a whole new interface for the video platform, which will provide a "consistent look and feel" across all of the company's consumer video services. DirecTV testers will be able to provide AT&T with feedback on the new design.

Eventually, the next-generation video platform is expected to support features like live TV pausing and parental controls, expected later this year, and user profiles, offline watching (download and go), and 4K HDR are planned for 2018.

According to AT&T, beta testing for the video platform will begin in the summer, and select DirecTV Now customers will receive invites to test the features.

Article Link: AT&T's DirecTV Now to Gain Cloud DVR and Revamped User Interface

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
About time, I have been waiting for this for a while now. I would not mind being selected to do the beta test, but maybe start with beta 2 or 3.

:apple:

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Hmmm....in that first photo under the recordings section it says "22 hours left", and looking at the bar graft it doesn't look like you get much more than that...maybe 24 hours? That will be really disappointing if that's the case. I could see people going camping and easily filling that up.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I'm not sure I understand the way this works... you pay to stream TV shows... and then instead of a normal on-demand service where you can stream whatever you want... you get to virtually 'record' some of those shows up to a limited amount of space... (or is that "22h left" how long you have to watch it?)? Why? I genuinely feel like I'm missing something here. I'm a Brit, and not familiar with DirecTV, so I'd be interested if someone can explain this to me (genuinely).

I mean... (it feels stupid even asking this) they're not *actually* recording GBs of video per user ... right?! So if it's just access to shows they stream... why not just provide access to all of them? Like I said, I don't get it. :confused:

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
I mean... (it feels stupid even asking this) they're not *actually* recording GBs of video per user ... right?! So if it's just access to shows they stream... why not just provide access to all of them? Like I said, I don't get it. :confused:

Yeah I was thinking the same. I think if they offered VOD for literally every show on all the networks they offer that would probably cost a bundle, but "actually recording" streams makes no sense. We will probably have an artificial cap on the number of hours we're able to "record" (access) at any given time, assuming the user selects to "record" a head of time.

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
I'm not sure I understand the way this works... you pay to stream TV shows... and then instead of a normal on-demand service where you can stream whatever you want... you get to virtually 'record' some of those shows up to a limited amount of space... (or is that "22h left" how long you have to watch it?)? Why? I genuinely feel like I'm missing something here. I'm a Brit, and not familiar with DirecTV, so I'd be interested if someone can explain this to me (genuinely).

No, they actually are recordings GBs of video per user.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Hopefully this launch goes better than the launch of DirecTV NOW...what a horrific experience that was for months. It's finally stable now, though I have noticed the latest update takes about 3-5 seconds to change a channel where it used to take between 1-3. At least they threw in HBO GO for free for a year for early adopters, plus the free Apple TV. I'm pretty content with it, good selection for only $35/month. But for people with data caps it might not be the bet option, as it eats through data if you let it go for a while. I'm not one to need a DVR or anything fancy, so if they add that for free then great, if it's a paid feature I will probably skip it.

Reactions: Eduardo1971

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Has anyone tried or have any experience with the cloud dvr services from Hulu or youtube tv?

I'm guessing DTVN cloud dvr will be similar to those.....??

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yeah I was thinking the same. I think if they offered VOD for literally every show on all the networks they offer that would probably cost a bundle, but "actually recording" streams makes no sense.
This is all related to licensing. Offering content on demand requires additional licensing, whereas "recording" shows for individual customers is covered under fair use if done right. And yes, they actually make copies for every customer (as stupid as that sounds). See e.g.:

https://qz.com/273587/the-cloud-dvr-is-going-mainstream-before-anyone-knows-if-its-legal/

Quote:

"The potential legal issue is that Comcast’s contracts with programmers don’t include a separate license to stream TV shows over the internet. But that’s exactly what a cloud DVR does. The question is whether streaming recordings of TV over the internet is a “fair use” of content Comcast and its customers have already licensed. To stay within the bounds of copyright law, Comcast actually makes a separate copy of each recording for each customer and stores it in the cloud, which is not exactly efficient."

Reactions: Weaselboy

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I'm not too big a fan of their GUI but after hulus redesign fiasco I'm a little nervous. I also want a ui that embraces the Apple TV style and not some android least common denominator.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Every time I plan to cancel they announce a new feature set to make me pay for another few months.
Same with me, then Game of Thrones is coming as well because they gave me free HBO for one year. One reason I really want to leave them is that Sling is really cheap and supports the 3rd party that I wanted. This cloud dvr would will solve most of that problem, they better be free though.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

This service offers a small streaming library and the rest is live broadcast tv but delivered through an app instead of the cable company. This DVR service would allow users to record those live broadcasts that may or may not ever be available for on demand streaming. Live sports, awards shows, concerts, etc. are examples, as well as things like Big Brother which people may want to talk about the next day.

Reactions: hotgril

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
I'm not too big a fan of their GUI but after hulus redesign fiasco I'm a little nervous. I also want a ui that embraces the Apple TV style and not some android least common denominator.

Fingers crossed.

They have a grid-based guide. I’m sold.

Reactions: a104375
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.