Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint today announced the launch of two new smartphone upgrade programs, Sprint Flex and Sprint Deals. Sprint Flex, as the name suggests, is designed to give users more options for upgrading their phones, including on an annual basis.

With Sprint Flex, customers can choose an iPhone for a low monthly price and begin making payments. Through Sprint's existing iPhone Forever and Galaxy Forever programs, customers can then opt to upgrade on an annual basis, trading in their devices each year.

After 18 months, though, customers can choose to return their devices for a new one, own the device by making a single payment, or own the device by making six additional monthly payments. Sprint has a chart outlining the program:

sprintflex.jpg

Sprint Deals, the other new program Sprint is introducing, will let customers purchase a smartphone without a credit check. Sprint Deals is limited to older devices like the iPhone 6s, but offers $25 to $30 down and payments of $5 to $10 a month.

sprintdeals.jpg
Customers who apply for and receive credit with Sprint, can take advantage of Sprint Flex on a postpaid plan:

- For entry-level devices, customers pay $5 per month with $25 down.
- For higher-end devices, customers pay $10 per month with $30 down.

Customers who prefer to bypass a credit check with Sprint, can get an instant discount on the same "value menu" of smartphones, on a Sprint Forward prepaid plan:

- For entry-level devices, customers get 50 percent off the suggested retail price.
- For higher-end devices, customers pay 25 percent off the suggested retail price.
Sprint is also currently running a free service promotion that may make it an attractive choice for customers looking for an affordable smartphone. For customers switching from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or another postpaid carrier and bringing their own device, Sprint is offering one year of free unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE data.

Article Link: Sprint Launches New 'Sprint Flex' and 'Sprint Deals' Smartphone Purchase Options

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Lmao THANK YOU.

What's the problem with these carriers making everything so complicated and just rehashing their offerings?
That's part of the reason I switched to T-Mobile. The only thing complicated with T-Mobile is that sometimes you have trouble navigating how you can stack the myriad of discounts. For me, that's a great problem to have and it got sorted within the first two months of service last spring. I'm currently paying $70/mo for three iPhone lines and an iPad data plan with no tax. I got the third line free promo, then stacked the Verizon transfer discount, then get $10/off per month for two of the qualifying lines when they're under 2GB, which is most of the time as one of the lines is my grandparents. But if I use the unlimited data, I only pay $10 more, which I rarely do because you get free video streaming at 720p and free music streaming. It's the most incredible deal out there if you can get service, which keeps improving and is way better than Sprint.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I can't find pricing info for Sprint Flex anywhere. Just how much is "a low monthly price" for latest iPhones?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Is Sprint still trying to sucker in new subscribers to their terrible network?

Also, if a company needs to utilize a chart to explain how the program works, then that is a clear sign to avoid it all costs.

BrettOlbrys

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2017
I can't find pricing info for Sprint Flex anywhere. Just how much is "a low monthly price" for latest iPhones?
Pricing depends on which iPhone you buy and its storage configuration. It's really straightforward, Sprint is the only carrier who offers leasing and after 18 months, you can get a new phone, pay off your balance in full, or pay off balance in 6 monthly payments.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Jesus... these plans just get more and more confusing. All of the "big 4" are guilty of this in some form, but it's like Sprint is trying to one-up everyone.

Yeah, if you need to explain your plans using a flowchart, you failed.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
We've had cell phones for decades...

How are we still coming up with new ways to pay for them?

Confusing ways at that?

:)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Pricing depends on which iPhone you buy and its storage configuration. It's really straightforward, Sprint is the only carrier who offers leasing and after 18 months, you can get a new phone, pay off your balance in full, or pay off balance in 6 monthly payments.

All I can gather from Sprint's website currently is that cheapest iPhone 7 32GB would cost $27.09/month, or $325.08 after 12 months, no cheaper than Apple's (Apple is a bit more expensive at $32.41/month as it includes AppleCare+).

I thought Sprint Flex's price is supposed to be lower than retail.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana

Sprint today announced the launch of two new smartphone upgrade programs, Sprint Flex and Sprint Deals. Sprint Flex, as the name suggests, is designed to give users more options for upgrading their phones, including on an annual basis.

With Sprint Flex, customers can choose an iPhone for a low monthly price and begin making payments. Through Sprint's existing iPhone Forever and Galaxy Forever programs, customers can then opt to upgrade on an annual basis, trading in their devices each year.

After 18 months, though, customers can choose to return their devices for a new one, own the device by making a single payment, or own the device by making six additional monthly payments. Sprint has a chart outlining the program:

sprintflex.jpg

Sprint Deals, the other new program Sprint is introducing, will let customers purchase a smartphone without a credit check. Sprint Deals is limited to older devices like the iPhone 6s, but offers $25 to $30 down and payments of $5 to $10 a month.

sprintdeals.jpg
Sprint is also currently running a free service promotion that may make it an attractive choice for customers looking for an affordable smartphone. For customers switching from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or another postpaid carrier and bringing their own device, Sprint is offering one year of free unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE data.

Article Link: Sprint Launches New 'Sprint Flex' and 'Sprint Deals' Smartphone Purchase Options
I'd switch to sprint if they had coverage in my area...can you hear me now?

swajames

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Sprint's network quality may well be better than it was when I was a customer, it wasn't great back then, but the memory of the absolutely appalling customer service they deliver is as fresh in my mind now as it was then. I've been on all four of the big networks, and Sprint was comfortably the worst in all respects and likely the only one I'd never go back to.

BrettOlbrys

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2017
All I can gather from Sprint's website currently is that cheapest iPhone 7 32GB would cost $27.09/month, or $325.08 after 12 months, no cheaper than Apple's (Apple is a bit more expensive at $32.41/month as it includes AppleCare+).

I thought Sprint Flex's price is supposed to be lower than retail.
Where did anyone say it was lower than retail? No, Sprint Flex is about offering a leasing option that no other Telecom provider offers and you can continue to lease and get a new phone or pay it off and own it. Pretty straightforward to me.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
That's part of the reason I switched to T-Mobile. The only thing complicated with T-Mobile is that sometimes you have trouble navigating how you can stack the myriad of discounts. For me, that's a great problem to have and it got sorted within the first two months of service last spring. I'm currently paying $70/mo for three iPhone lines and an iPad data plan with no tax. I got the third line free promo, then stacked the Verizon transfer discount, then get $10/off per month for two of the qualifying lines when they're under 2GB, which is most of the time as one of the lines is my grandparents. But if I use the unlimited data, I only pay $10 more, which I rarely do because you get free video streaming at 720p and free music streaming. It's the most incredible deal out there if you can get service, which keeps improving and is way better than Sprint.

T-Mobile is definitely the better deal over Sprint, at least for me.

Reactions: 44267547

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
The fact that they had to design a freaking flow chart highlights the problem that Sprint still doesn't get it.
Explain to me that creating a flow chart is an indication that a company "doesn't get it"
[doublepost=1500143506][/doublepost]
Is Sprint still trying to sucker in new subscribers to their terrible network?

Also, if a company needs to utilize a chart to explain how the program works, then that is a clear sign to avoid it all costs.
It's not a terrible network if it worked in your city. I have never had a problem with sprints network.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
The fact that they had to design a freaking flow chart highlights the problem that Sprint still doesn't get it.
At least it's easier on the eyes, unlike AT&T and others, with a half of page of fine print disclaimers.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
That's an awesome plan you got.

T-Mobile offers more value especially for those with 1-2 lines. The real battle for the money starts at 4 lines. T-Mobile per line savings over att/Verizon decrease dramatically with more lines. Verizon 6 lines/$220 unlimited (capped at 22 gb). Att $225/6 lines

T-Mobile "one" plan with unlimited data capped at 28gb high speed for 4 lines is $160 (includes taxes). Vs att ($185 excludes taxes) Verizon 4/$180 (excludes taxes).

The less lines you have. The more atttradtive T-Mobile looks

Reactions: macduke

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's an awesome plan you got.
Yeah, I had been talking on here for years about switching to T-Mobile. The problem was that Verizon kept giving me better deals and I liked their coverage and customer service. It was a good problem to have. So I carefully watched and waited until the right moment and jumped on it. I'm glad I waited it out!

I'm really looking forward to the 700MHz band 12 LTE in my area because building coverage can be spotty, but Wi-Fi calling helps with that. What it doesn't help is when I'm in a hardware store (metal building frequently loses signal) and can't look something up on my iPhone when I'm trying to decide what to buy. Furthermore, 600MHz isn't far behind, whenever the iPhone supports that, as they're planning on rolling it out nationwide in over only 6 months! So while T-Mobile isn't yet where I'd like them to be, it's worth the wait for the price. The network upgrades should make a big difference.

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
I switched from ATT to Sprint 6 months ago because my job offered to pay my phone bill. I'm considering paying my own phone bill again because the coverage is abysmal, speed (when I have signal) is often "1X" or 3G, and no data while on a phone call is... a mild inconvenience, but frustrating when it happens. And I live in a major metropolitan area. When I drive more than 20 miles from D.C., it's a coin toss as to whether I'll have signal. My advice; don't switch to Sprint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.