Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has added public transit directions for Ireland, as pointed out by developer Steven Troughton-Smith on Twitter. With the updated directions, users in Ireland can now choose from a few different public transportation routes when traveling around Ireland.

Transit directions are available in a few cities like Dublin and Cork, including transportation provided by Bus Éirann, Aircoach, and more. There's also support for city-specific transit options like Dublin's electric rail system the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) and Dublin Bus.

ireland-transit.jpg

Unfortunately, most of the transit options in Ireland are facing service cancellations in the face of Hurricane Ophelia, which made landfall around 1 p.m. local time. Many transit advisories listed in Apple Maps mention cancellations lasting from 10 a.m. to at least 7 p.m. local time in Ireland.

Apple has been adding public transit directions to new cities around the world since the feature first debuted in iOS 9 in 2015. Some of the latest areas to get the feature include Taiwan, Ottawa, Edmonton, Québec City, and Hungary.

Article Link: Apple Maps Transit Directions Expand to Ireland

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Happy to see Apple constantly improving Apple Maps. It has come very far since it’s disappointing launch.

Excuse my ignorance, but I never knew countries so far in the northern hemisphere could get hurricanes??? Aren’t the ocean temperatures there too cool for that?

beelsebob1

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
Happy to see Apple constantly improving Apple Maps. It has come very far since it’s disappointing launch.

Excuse my ignorance, but I never knew countries so far in the northern hemisphere could get hurricanes??? Aren’t the ocean temperatures there too cool for that?
You mean like... the USA? Last I checked it too is in the northern hemisphere.

The UK and Ireland meanwhile get hit by hurricane force winds basically every year. It's only in the last couple of years that they've started naming them, because they realized it was a good way to get people to sit up and pay attention to the fact that there's a big storm coming through.

Usually storms that hit the UK are only category 1, 2 at most though.

Reactions: benface

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

This particular one is a FREAK event- first this late in the year since about 1980 or so.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Usually, yes, and even this "hurricane" will be a mere category 1 tropical storm (having briefly been a cat 3) before it makes landfall. But climate change is gradually warming the ocean, so expect more of this; the Atlantic is currently around 1.5C warmer than average for this time of year.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

The UK and Ireland meanwhile get hit by hurricane force winds basically every year. It's only in the last couple of years that they've started naming them, because they realized it was a good way to get people to sit up and pay attention to the fact that there's a big storm coming through.

Ireland is way more north in the hemisphere than the US. It is closer to Greenland than we are. I did say in My original post “so far in the northern hemisphere” which I assume would say it is more north than the US. Sorry, should have specified more.

akasian

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Still no transit support in Phoenix, AZ. 5th largest city in US, w/light rail, and extensive bus service. When???

DingeZ

macrumors member
May 3, 2016
Amsterdam
Phoenix is the by far the city that has been 'in development' for Apple Maps the longest, but honestly I don't think they're in a hurry to release it. Although Phoenix is large, its public transport network is laughably tiny. Also, the information in the US is very fragmented compared to Europe. Right now, cities like Rome and Hamburg are still in development and will probably be released soon, while Apple is also preparing the entire countries of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Estonia, each of these countries has significantly 'better' public transport than Phoenix.

akasian

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Phoenix is the by far the city that has been 'in development' for Apple Maps the longest, but honestly I don't think they're in a hurry to release it. Although Phoenix is large, its public transport network is laughably tiny. Also, the information in the US is very fragmented compared to Europe. Right now, cities like Rome and Hamburg are still in development and will probably be released soon, while Apple is also preparing the entire countries of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Estonia, each of these countries has significantly 'better' public transport than Phoenix.

I guess I’m having a hard time understanding why it’s been “in development” so long. Google Maps has had extensive transit support for Phoenix for quite some time now. The transit data is there. I like to use the native Apple apps when I can, but this omission forces me to continue to use google maps.

DingeZ

macrumors member
May 3, 2016
Amsterdam
I have two theories about that:
1. There is some trouble with getting information from some transit companies. Where Google just adds everything they can get, Apple wants to give complete coverage to an area before releasing it.
2. They're waiting for a bigger release in the US for multiple cities, like St. Louis, Nashville, Tampa and Norfolk. Those cities aren't ready jet.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

Ireland is much further North than Southern USA.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Ireland is way more north in the hemisphere than the US. It is closer to Greenland than we are. I did say in My original post “so far in the northern hemisphere” which I assume would say it is more north than the US. Sorry, should have specified more.

You're right - it might not be a 'big' hurricane but it's definitely statistically an outlier, see here. It's unusual to see a storm this strong on the East Atlantic coast. It set an (Irish) record for the strongest ever gust earlier today.

Funny day to pick to introduce transport network info, when almost the entire air, sea, train and bus network has shut down! Incidentally, Apple's plant in Cork is on a an exposed high hill overlooking the city. And is both a) very hard to get to without public transport, and b) a very interesting location for storm watching! :)

EsTriFee

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
Just checked it out cause I was actually waiting for this, unfortunately not sure how trustworthy this is gonna be, I looked from my small town and was surprised it actually gave the bus I take (also double-checked and google maps also gives it now) however the options it gives is limited, as well as not indicating actual times the bus departs! that's pretty crazy considering the bus timetable for this particular route is very very specific ... all it says "every 15 mins" without mentioning that its only like that for like early morning for like an hour and a half or so after which theres no buses for a couple hours etc. Also on the Mac app it says "Service begins at 05:45" however when you send the route to your phone it makes no mention of what time the bus actually comes besides the "every 15 mins" line... I could imagine someone looking and walking to wait, even thou there's obviously no bus at this hour in the evening! Thou apple maps did manage to mention the fact that rail services are non operational today due to the cancelations where as google maps just doesn't care at all, but it also fails to provide rail options if I pick a later time just showing that "Irish rail service is suspended" at the top. All in all, I'll give it a try, but it seems like there's still places to improve, and I think the Actual departure time of the bus or something in the route mapping would come sooner rather than later as its probably the thing you'd like to know the most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.