Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rite Aid today announced that it now accepts Apple Pay as a payment method on its desktop and mobile website.

rite-aid-apple-pay-800x343.jpg

iPhone, iPad, and Mac users accessing RiteAid.com through the Safari web browser will now see a "Buy with Apple Pay" option at checkout alongside existing credit card and PayPal payment options.

Rite Aid said it is the first pharmacy retailer to accept Apple Pay as a form of payment on the web, with nearly 12,000 items available in its online store.

Apple Pay on the web is a convenient and secure option for online payments, eliminating the need to repeatedly fill out account, shipping, and billing information for a more seamless checkout experience.

Checking out with Apple Pay on the web requires a Mac, iPhone, or iPad with Touch ID and Safari for macOS Sierra or iOS 10 or later.

Rite Aid began accepting Apple Pay at 4,600 of its retail stores across the United States in August 2015, nearly one year after the drug store chain initially disabled support for the mobile payments service nationwide.

At the time, Rite-Aid was a member of the Merchant Customer Exchange, a consortium of retailers that planned to launch their own mobile payments service called CurrentC, which was postponed indefinitely last year.

Article Link: Rite Aid's Website Now Accepts Apple Pay in Safari on Mac, iPhone, and iPad

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
i'm looking forward to website using touch id for sign in on mac i.e. bank sites

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I'm looking at you, CVS.
At some point, everyone's going to join in. But all the parties are going to have to compromise to get there. i'd say in 5-7 years we will (in the US) have a common contactless payment system, agnostic as to your phone OEM.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It accepts Apple Pay with Touch ID but not Face ID? Regardless, I can't think of a reason why I'd want to shop online at Rite Aid when there is one across the street from me.

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
It accepts Apple Pay with Touch ID but not Face ID? Regardless, I can't think of a reason why I'd want to shop online at Rite Aid when there is one across the street from me.
Yeah, next up, 7-11 selling stuff on a website: "I'd like to order a Slurpee for delivery the day after tomorrow."

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
People buy things from the Rite Aid website?

I'm assuming a very small amount, which is why having features that distinguish you from your competitors like Apple Pay online could be important... Big websites can boss you around because you kind of have to deal with them, smaller shops have to cater to the consumer.
[doublepost=1508443608][/doublepost]
Yeah, next up, 7-11 selling stuff on a website: "I'd like to order a Slurpee for delivery the day after tomorrow."

Pretty much denny's new delivery :p

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
At some point, everyone's going to join in. But all the parties are going to have to compromise to get there. i'd say in 5-7 years we will (in the US) have a common contactless payment system, agnostic as to your phone OEM.

CVS accepted Apple Pay for about a week before pulling it. They overthought it and decided paying through the cvs app was a better solution. I often wonder how these executives that make these decisions can be so out of touch.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
CVS accepted Apple Pay for about a week before pulling it. They overthought it and decided paying through the cvs app was a better solution.
IIRC, CVS was one of the places where their terminals just had NFC on by default, and nobody had ever used it, and then when Apple Pay came out, people started using it a lot and the company panicked ("oh noes! people are paying us money for our goods and services! with no additional effort necessary on our part! won't someone think of the children!?!"), so they went out of their way to turn NFC off.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Coincidentally, I just bought a 2017 MBP and have been looking for a place to use Apple Pay online. I'm not sure what I'd get from Rite-Aid though.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Would be nice if I could order one of those online. NFC is fine too, I suppose; they've had that for a while.
No I'm sure they could package it in an insulated box with a bunch of dry ice and a "this end up" sticker. ;)

RiteAid's NFC works great - they have an "Apple Pay / Samsung Pay" sticker in the front window, and most of the staff no longer blink when I use my phone or watch. What does still surprise some of them is that I use the "Plenti" card that's stored in Apple Wallet. I mean, they were all involved in switching everyone over from their old loyalty cards to Plenti, and the brochure said there was a Plenti app, and the Plenti app makes it easy enough to throw the card into Apple's Wallet, yet for the longest time they were continually surprised when they'd say "do you have a card or a phone number?" and I'd hold up the virtual card on my phone - apparently no one else was doing that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.