Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify updated its iOS app today with support for iPhone X, exactly two weeks since Apple's latest smartphone launched. The update removes the letterboxing of Spotify's interface on the iPhone X's 5.8-inch OLED display, which should come as welcome news to heavy users of the app, allowing them to see more of track lists and search results on the screen, and more artwork when browsing albums and playlists.

spotify-iphone-x.jpg
"Stranger Things Mode" before (left) and after Spotify iPhone X update

The music streaming service is unusually late to the game on this front, with many top App Store apps already having updated their interfaces for the iPhone's 1,125 × 2,436 resolution display, which results in roughly 20 percent additional vertical space for content compared to the 4.7-inch displays of the iPhone 6, 7, and 8.

spotify-iphone-x-2.jpg

Apple was naturally quick to publish human interface guidelines for developers coding iPhone X apps. The documentation explains the changes that need to be made to ensure apps make the most of the additional space. At the same time, the guidance warns developers away from encroaching on certain areas of the screen, including the rounded corners, sensor housing, and indicator for accessing the Home screen.

Spotify is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Spotify App Updated With Support for iPhone X Displays

tumtumtum

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Just updated and it's still letterboxed. I hope they fix the problems with CarPlay and Spotify :-(

Awesome discussion

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2017
Spotify was never very fast to adopt to changes. It took them untill the iPhone 6 to get the aphabetical fast jump list. That was one reason for me to switch to apple music

Reactions: Avieshek

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
There are disincentives in play, nothing to be gained by making their competitor’s phone look great.

Like the battery draining bug in their YouTube app; they did acknowledge it at least, but how long before they fix it?
This doesn't make any sense. Google has all the incentive in the world to make their app more desirable. There's nothing to be gained by not having their app optimized for the X. It's not like anyone is going to blame Apple for Google's app. Heck, this thread is testimony to that... your comment is testimony to that. The question is where does iPhone X optimization stand on their list of priorities. We don't know, but they aren't playing 4D Machiavellian Klingon Chess or Interdimensional Borg Go.:D

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2013
I think they shouldn't be hiding the status bar in track artwork mode. Otherwise the update looks great.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Agreed - it's super annoying that Spotify haven't managed to produce a Watch app in all this time. Really don't understand what the hold-up is, here.

Use Apple Music. It's better and designed to work seamlessly across all your iOS devices.

Spotify is bloated junkware at this point. They still don't have a way for your manage the cache so it'll keep chewing up your storage until you uninstall the app. Which then means reinstall and manually put all your settings back each time. Haha, they are clueless.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This doesn't make any sense. Google has all the incentive in the world to make their app more desirable. There's nothing to be gained by not having their app optimized for the X. It's not like anyone is going to blame Apple for Google's app. Heck, this thread is testimony to that... your comment is testimony to that. The question is where does iPhone X optimization stand on their list of priorities. We don't know, but they aren't playing 4D Machiavellian Klingon Chess or Interdimensional Borg Go.:D
Omg what did you do to Jony Ive? I didn’t notice it was Sir Jony at first, thought it was the Samsung guy, as always. I just noticed it after my coffee woke me up. I almost spit the coffee on my iPad. You’re sooooooo bad! Lol, Sir J has been notched! Serves him right!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Omg what did you do to Jony Ive? I didn’t notice it was Sir Jony at first, thought it was the Samsung guy, as always. I just noticed it after my coffee woke me up. I almost spit the coffee on my iPad. You’re sooooooo bad! Lol, Sir J has been notched! Serves him right!
Cannot take credit. Found on imgur. Could not stop laughing. It's just Jony embracing the notch.:D
YpsruSR.jpg

canny

Suspended
Jun 11, 2009
Spotify is not on Apple Watch, which is annoying. Also not available with Siri.

HomePod without Spotify is even worse.

It’s Apples fault that they don’t allow you to designate a music app.

-Maxim-

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
Use Apple Music. It's better and designed to work seamlessly across all your iOS devices.

Spotify is bloated junkware at this point. They still don't have a way for your manage the cache so it'll keep chewing up your storage until you uninstall the app. Which then means reinstall and manually put all your settings back each time. Haha, they are clueless.

In my case, I would like to keep using Spotify since my family (5 people) are set up in a Spotify Family Account - everyone has their own playlists set up etc. Furthermore, my multi-room speakers (living room, bedroom, kitchen, etc.) all work on Spotify Connect (the app is basically the remote control, the music gets streamed directly at the device). My family members have similar setups. Not all devices support Apple Music in the same way. So there is no easy switch to Apple Music even after they introduced Family Accounts as well.

I have enough storage space on my iPhone so that I never run into problems with Spotify's cache.

Reactions: Woyzeck

J.Dillinger

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I’m annoyed AF that Spotify STILL doesn’t support landscape mode.

It’s also annoying that when you browse your saved artists, it’s just a slew songs sorted by album instead adding a group level of albums. I don’t think their developers use the app.

Reactions: predation

chrisone

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Agreed - it's super annoying that Spotify haven't managed to produce a Watch app in all this time. Really don't understand what the hold-up is, here.

Yes! It’s one of the most upvoted/commented on ideas in the Spotify community, a lot of activity after Watch w/ LTE, but still nothing! Not even any communication other than “We don’t comment on stuff involving a third party” which is pretty lame. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Spotify-on-Apple-Watch/idi-p/914915/page/39

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014

I agree with all points except one: Apple Music recognizes when you’re listening on multiple devices simultaneously, but does not allow seamless transfer of listening across devices. That was the one feature of Spotify that I really liked.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
It’s also annoying that when you browse your saved artists, it’s just a slew songs sorted by album instead adding a group level of albums. I don’t think their developers use the app.

This is my one gripe with Spotify, I fail to see how it’s more intuitive than being sorted by album. An alternative that helps a little is to go to Albums, which then shows the list of albums grouped alphabetical by artist.

chrisone

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
I agree with all points except one: Apple Music recognizes when you’re listening on multiple devices simultaneously, but does not allow seamless transfer of listening across devices. That was the one feature of Spotify that I really liked.

Plus Spotify Connect is excellent and better than using Airplay because music is streamed directly to your speaker and this is supported by a huge number of speakers, even chromecast audio. It means your phone can be used for anything while still listening to music, e.g. receive a call without interrupting music. Apple Music doesn’t support direct streaming except to the HomePod so far, and that’s a drawback.

However, the lack of Watch support still made me change to Apple Music...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.