Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay could arrive in Poland as soon as the first quarter of 2018, according to financial technology site cashless.pl. Several independent sources are said to have confirmed active negotiations between Apple and five banks operating in the country, including Alior, BZ WBK, and mBank.

According to the Polish tech site, all banks operating in Poland received an offer from Apple earlier this month to make Apple Pay available to their customers. Some of the banks are said to have declined the offer, but the banks listed above are reportedly negotiating financial terms to start supporting the digital wallet in the first half of 2018.

applepay-800x395.jpg

Given that the banks have already implemented MasterCard or Visa tokenization - the same technology used by Apple Pay to securely link a payment card number to a mobile device - rollout could happen very quickly as soon as negotiations have concluded.

The rollout will reportedly take place with active support from payment companies including Mastercard, although there's no word on whether Visa will be involved in the implementation at this stage.

The last time we heard about plans for Apple Pay in Poland was in October, when an anonymous tipster emailed in an alleged screenshot of Apple Pay being tested with a Mastercard from PKO Bank Polski, for a possible debut in the country by the end of this year. PKO was not mentioned in today's source, however, and may have just been used as a placeholder card for Apple's internal testing only.

(Thanks, Krzysiek!)

Article Link: Apple Pay Said to Be Arriving in Poland in Early 2018

engagepay

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2017
This is good news, however I cannot see big adoption in Poland right now. My understanding is that Apple only has 5% market share so this is why the banks are not signing up - the handsets are too expensive for this region.

Paccos

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2017
Ich geb‘s auf... Ich zieh nach Polen.

(Trans: "I give up, I'm moving to Poland!")

I second this. For years, some Germans made fun of Poland for being a bit behind, technologically. Now they're overtaking us. For a so called "Leader of mid-European economy" this is just plain ridiculous.

Edit: Wording

Last edited:
Reactions: makitango

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
(Trans: "I give up, I'm moving to Poland!")

I second this. For years, some Germans made fun of Poland for being a bit behind, technically. Now they're overtaking us. For a so called "Leader of mid-European economy" this is just plain ridiculous.
I think, they may surpass germany in just a des years. They deliver the quality for a fraction of the price.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
This is good news, however I cannot see big adoption in Poland right now. My understanding is that Apple only has 5% market share so this is why the banks are not signing up - the handsets are too expensive for this region.

I don't know where you're getting the 5% adoption from. Everywhere I look on the streets I see Iphones.... strange, right?

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I am using boon. by Wirecard, not even living in supported country. Apple Pay on AW is magical.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Osioł siedzi na moim drzewie, jedząc ser, śpiewając, chcę być pawianem.

I think my Polish may be a bit rusty :D

Anyway, good news that it’s going to start spreading so soon. The sooner the better I say.

wldlf

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2017
The problem with apple pay in Poland is quite different than in most countries. We have the infrastructure - years ago we could make contactless payments. The problem is with Apple itself - their offer to Polish banks was not good enough so far to get their attention.

zygmunt

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
Living on border, I have 80km to Berlin. You can laugh at poles, but driving whatever direction in Poland, I can almost still use mobile internet. Crossing border and driving to Berlin, I have only few spots where internet works, including small cities and villages. But with current government, it won't last long ;)

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I am using boon. by Wirecard, not even living in supported country. Apple Pay on AW is magical.

I use Boon too, and paying with AW is super convenient. My favourite use case is paying the pizza guy with my wrist while holding the cardboard boxes. Not having to reach for my wallet is even more secure, I wish public transit was already integrated but I have to wait

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.