Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the year quickly drawing to a close, now is an opportune time to reflect on the biggest Apple rumors and leaks of 2017.

apple-leaks-2017.jpg

Many new products released by Apple this year were widely rumored in the months leading up to their introductions, including the iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, Apple Watch Series 3, Apple TV 4K, HomePod, and new iPads. We even had an advanced look at software features like Animoji.

2017 was a particularly interesting year for Apple rumors given leaked or prematurely released versions of iOS 11 and HomePod firmware contained references to several products that had yet to be announced. While not every rumor proved true, much of Apple's roadmap this year was revealed ahead of time.

We've rounded up some of the most notable rumors and leaks of the year, primarily focusing on information that proved to be accurate.

2017 in Rumors

iPhone X

iPhone X is so radically different that rumors about the device began to surface all the way back in early 2016, so we'll start with a primer.

The first report about Apple's plans to release a high-end iPhone with an OLED display this year came from Japan's Nikkei Asian Review in March 2016, roughly a year and a half before the iPhone X was unveiled.

In the same month, DigiTimes revealed the device would have a 5.8-inch display, and KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said it would have glass on both the front and back sides, a metal frame, wireless charging, and facial or iris recognition.

By April 2016, the device was being called the iPhone 8. Barclays analyst Mark Moskowitz said it wouldn't have a home button.

iphone-8-renders-ios-11-800x527.jpg
iPhone X renders from June 2017 via iDrop News

In May 2016, Daring Fireball's John Gruber heard early scuttlebutt suggesting the device would have an edge-to-edge display, with the front-facing camera, Touch ID, and other sensors hidden under the display.

The information provided to Gruber wasn't entirely accurate, but he was on the right track. Rumors continued to surface about Apple removing the home button and adopting facial or iris recognition in lieu of Touch ID.

In September 2016, Kuo said stainless steel would likely be Apple's metal of choice for the iPhone X's frame, with slightly curved 2.5D cover glass on top of the display, as used since the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Rumors also began picking up about the iPhone X having a vertically-aligned dual-lens camera with dual optical image stabilization.

frontpanels1-800x600.jpg
iPhone X part leak in June 2017 reveals vertically-aligned dual-lens camera

By the end of 2016, several reports had claimed Apple would release a trio of new iPhones in 2017, including the all-new 5.8-inch model and updated 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models to replace the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

The first iPhone X rumors of 2017 lent credence to the device having a stainless steel frame, facial recognition, and support for inductive charging, rather than RF-based over-the-air wireless charging from Energous.

February was a busy month for iPhone X rumors, with the device said to have 64GB and 256GB storage options, 3GB of RAM, no Touch ID, a higher-capacity two-cell L-shaped battery pack, and a "revolutionary" front camera with 3D facial recognition that we now know as the TrueDepth system.

Around that time, we also learned the device would have a starting price of at least $1,000 in the United States.

In March, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo dismissed a rumor about the iPhone X having a USB-C connector, noting that it would still have a Lightning connector with support for fast charging via USB-C Power Delivery.

Lightning-iPhone-7.png

In late March, analysts at Barclays said the iPhone X would have a True Tone display that shifts colors based on ambient lighting.

In April, we saw the first schematic of the iPhone X's sensor housing, more commonly known as the notch. The notch houses the front camera, an infrared camera, a flood illuminator, a dot projector, a microphone, an ambient light sensor, a proximity sensor, and an earpiece that doubles as a speaker.

Rumors about Apple placing Touch ID on the back of the iPhone X persisted into May, but they ultimately proved to be inaccurate. Also in May, we learned the device would have louder stereo speakers.

June was filled with the first iPhone X part leaks, mockups, screen protectors, and dummy units that all pointed towards the device having an all-screen design except for the notch. MacRumors also saw hints of the iPhone 8 showing up in web analytics, suggesting Apple was testing the device internally.

July saw both KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg confirm that Face ID would fully replace Touch ID on the iPhone X.

Perhaps the biggest iPhone X leak to date came in late July courtesy of Apple itself. Shortly after the company accidentally released an internal version of firmware for its upcoming HomePod speaker, developers uncovered a glyph of an iPhone with an all-screen design except for a notch at the top.

iphone8ios11gm.jpg
iPhone X glyph from leaked iOS 11 golden master

The HomePod firmware proved to be a gold mine for iPhone X leaks, revealing the device's infrared face detection, tap to wake function, split-up status bar, 4K video recording at up to 60 FPS, Face ID compatibility with Apple Pay, suppressed notification sounds when looking at the screen, and much more.

Despite so much of the iPhone X being revealed in the HomePod firmware, August still saw some fresh leaks, including a photo of the device's A11 Bionic chip. Japanese website Mac Otakara also reported that the iPhone X's inductive charging ability would support transmission of up to 7.5 watts of power.

As if the HomePod firmware leaks weren't bad enough for Apple, MacRumors was anonymously provided with download links to a final version of iOS 11 in early September. The software update contained several unredacted references to unannounced iPhone X hardware and software features.

MacRumors uncovered iPhone X screenshots within the iOS 11 filesystem that showed off the new gesture-based home screen indicator. There were also hints that the elongated side button, previously known as the sleep-wake button, could be held to activate Siri or double tapped to bring up the Apple Pay wallet.

iphone8screenshots.jpg

The golden master of iOS 11 also referenced the Face ID name for Apple's facial recognition system, True Tone support, a collection of new iPhone X wallpapers, and Apple's new Portrait Lighting feature, including the Contour Light, Natural Light, Stage Light, Stage Light Mono, and Studio Light options.

Within the iOS 11 filesystem, we also found a video file showing four different Animoji characters, including a monkey, cat, dog, and robot. The discovery made it clear that Apple had been working on animated emoji that could presumably be controlled with the iPhone X's then-rumored facial recognition system.

animoji-trio.jpg

The iOS 11 golden master soon made its way into the hands of some developers, who continued to make discoveries, including technical details about the A11 Bionic being a six-core chip with two high power cores and four low power cores.

The golden master also contained a device tree that confirmed the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus names of Apple's latest smartphones.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: 2017's Biggest Apple Leaks: iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3, HomePod, Apple TV 4K, and More

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Everything leaked this year. I wonder if Apple intended some of it to leak though. I mean that HomePod software dump was ridiculous.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
So many predictions and leaks, led just to a big disappointment and all those useless features nobody use! What an accomplishment! Can you imagine Steve Jobs presenting Animoji? I can not

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Once again, Apple released another great round of software and hardware, massive changes were made and I cannot be excited to see what's in store for 2018.

While they're at it, I would like to see the first phone with absolutely no ports from them, so that people would stop complaining over and over. It's been like this since '98 with the floppy disk removal.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Once again, Apple released another great round of software and hardware, massive changes were made and I cannot be excited to see what's in store for 2018.

While they're at it, I would like to see the first phone with absolutely no ports from them, so that people would stop complaining over and over. It's been like this since '98 with the floppy disk removal.
Great rumor times as of now - Tim's pipeline spins around the globe so fast it cannot land anywhere
HomePod, AirPower, AirPod socks, iMessages in the Dark, Airplay 2, Mac Mini v3., MacPro modular, AppleCar, iTV, TouchBar MagicKeyboard, ApplePencil for iPhone, iPad Mini 5... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just a miracle where they stock this all

Last edited:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

I sure wouldn’t unless wireless charging really speeds up in the very short term.

daniesy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
This article is relating to leaks, not battery life. If you're concerned about battery life, you could visit the iPhone forum and see the many threads on that topic or start a thread yourself to share or hear others experiences that's related.

The battery life on iOS 11, 11.1, 11.2 and 11.2.1 is a huge issue and macrumors, 9to5mac or others (the sites that cover Apple and iPhones) don't report on it. Why? If it's a slow news day, why don't you guys do your readers a favor and actually write stuff about their issues, asking Apple for fixes. Forbes writes more useful iOS articles than you. Wtf?

Last edited by a moderator:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Great rumor times as of now - Tim's pipeline spins around the globe so fast it cannot land anywhere
HomePod, AirPower, AirPod socks, iMessages in the Dark, Airplay 2, Mac Mini v3., MacPro modular, AppleCar, iTV, TouchBar MagicKeyboard, ApplePencil for iPhone, iPad Mini 5... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just a miracle where they stock this all

You have to wonder just how many Google Homes and Amazon Echos were sold for the Holidays. It seems to me that introducing the HomePod way before it was available motivated Google and Amazon to have big sales on their products just to get them in as many homes as possible. I personally know several people that got Google Homes or Echos for Christmas. True the HomePod is supposed to be selling on sound quality, but so is the Google Home Max. I’m guessing that a high end Echo will be coming and the Echo Plus sounds pretty good.

Google and Amazon have a whole range and can get people into their ecosystem effectively. I know someone will argue that HomePod will be #1 within a few months against Amazon or Google, but I’m not seeing it. It’s too expensive and limited to Apple Music if you want the voice experience. Will Siri be a better overall assistant then the Google Assistant? I highly doubt it. Will Siri be better for shopping then Alexa? Again I’m in serious doubt. Other then sound quality what’s supposed to be the selling point? Sorry I think Apple just isn’t going to rule this market anytime soon.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You have to wonder just how many Google Homes and Amazon Echos were sold for the Holidays. It seems to me that introducing the HomePod way before it was available motivated Google and Amazon to have big sales on their products just to get them in as many homes as possible. I personally know several people that got Google Homes or Echos for Christmas. True the HomePod is supposed to be selling on sound quality, but so is the Google Home Max. I’m guessing that a high end Echo will be coming and the Echo Plus sounds pretty good.

Google and Amazon have a whole range and can get people into their ecosystem effectively. I know someone will argue that HomePod will be #1 within a few months against Amazon or Google, but I’m not seeing it. It’s too expensive and limited to Apple Music if you want the voice experience. Will Siri be a better overall assistant then the Google Assistant? I highly doubt it. Will Siri be better for shopping then Alexa? Again I’m in serious doubt. Other then sound quality what’s supposed to be the selling point? Sorry I think Apple just isn’t going to rule this market anytime soon.
Siri will be better if you already have a bunch of Apple p inducts that it can interact with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.