Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips and Razer today announced a new collaboration that allows Philips' Hue line of lights to integrate with Razer Chroma-enabled devices.

When using a device that features Razer Chroma, which includes everything from the Razer Blade line of laptops to Razer Chroma keyboards, gaming controllers, and mice, allowing your Philips Hue lights to react to whatever game you're playing.

You can choose to set each bulb to a preferred color or sync all of your lights with one touch using Razer's Synapse 3 hardware configuration software.

With Chroma Studio, you can also create different lighting effects across all Synapse-enabled devices that extend to Hue lights or use pre-configured effects like cascading waves or fire.

Razer says that its Razer Chroma devices and Hue lights are able to provide a fully immersive gaming experience, activating with game cues. When there's a flickering lamp, for example, the lights in the room will flicker, or when you score a kill, you'll be rewarded with a unique lighting scene.

razerhue-800x481.jpg

Game developers can use Razer's Chroma SDK to built lighting effects that will impact Hue and Chroma devices, and many games have already adopted support, like Overwatch, Quake Champions, Factorio, Killing Floor 2, and more.

Article Link: CES 2018: Philips and Razer Team Up for Game-Activated Hue Lights

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Good: flashes of light from gunfire.
Bad: getting dazzled by headlights in driving games.

kukhuvud

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This actually sounds like a lot of fun! If I still played PC games I'd be all over this. As it is, this makes me curious: could I also tie in the Hue lights to iTunes or VLC? That'd be pretty cool for party lighting. I've never thought of this before :)

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
As it is, this makes me curious: could I also tie in the Hue lights to iTunes or VLC? That'd be pretty cool for party lighting. I've never thought of this before :)

Yes - music and movies will be synchronised via an update called Hue Entertainment, which was supposed to be available last month.

Reactions: Jesse Waugh

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Yes - music and movies will be synchronised via an update called Hue Entertainment, which was supposed to be available last month.

The Hue app was updated overnight but I have yet to test it out.....I can confirm that the "Entertainment" piece is in there

Reactions: LiveM

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
The Hue app was updated overnight but I have yet to test it out.....I can confirm that the "Entertainment" piece is in there

Indeed - I see it now. Unfortunately for now it looks like we have to wait for iMovies, Netflix, et al.

Reactions: Stargher

AmazingRobie

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Christmas all year round. I know this is only an example of how these can be used, but this room looks like an energy nightmare. LEDs or not. Imagine if every idiot in the world lived like this. Congratulations, you win electric company. Just say no.

foxcub6

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Indeed - I see it now. Unfortunately for now it looks like we have to wait for iMovies, Netflix, et al.
So far it’s s major disappointment I thought Apple TV may be included sadly not as yet otherwise it’s a pointless excersise for me

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I think it is mostly just an API that developers can pick up and use, so it is going to take time for adoption to propagate through the industry.

Having tried a good app for camera-based synchronisation with movies, I definitely expect to use this, especially as I already have the lights I need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.