Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Hi guys,

What is the ideal viewing distance of these two model's? Is there an average?

Thanks in advance:)

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
There really is no perfect answer for these types of questions. Some people will tell you they feel perfectly fine with their face 2 feet from a 27 inch screen, while I would say they're nuts. You'll get opinions that go both ways.

The truth is just pick the size that you think seems right to you. If you've got a very large desk, and the 27 inch set will fit perfectly fine, go with that. If you need something smaller, 21.5 inches is certainly not small.

LAPTOPODO

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
I think the usual idea of proper distance it's that who let you see well the screen withouth having to rotate your neck and face to see it from a side to the other :D

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I'm under the impression that 21.5" has normal size fonts. The larger 27" screen has much more DPI, which compresses more "dots" into the same inch of screen. Which means, the font size (like menus and icons) is much smaller. Thus, weaker eyes (like my older eyes) must get closer to the screen - to read the fine print text. This means the larger size 27" is even more harder on one's eyes. Younger / stronger eyes can take much more stress then weaker eyes.

For me, I ordered the 21.5" screen. If current version of OS would allow adjustable font sizing (like Win XP / Win 7), I probably would have purchased the 27" screen instead. For now, we can only use what is available.

As a suggestion, visit your local Best Buy / Future Shop store and "ask for a chair". Seriously.... Try each of their on-display iMac machines while sitting in a typical chair. After some time, then decide which screen size is best for you (and your eye comfort).

Hope this helps...

LAPTOPODO

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
As a suggestion, visit your local Best Buy / Future Shop store and "ask for a chair". Seriously.... Try each of their on-display iMac machines while sitting in a typical chair. After some time, then decide which screen size is best for you (and your eye comfort).

Hope this helps...

It's a good idea, I'm going straight to the 27'' but comments like this about fonts or others about "how much empty space" left while surfing on net... make me doubt a bit.. I'll go to a physical store and see really how big it's and how small or not the menus and fonts are :)

macman05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I'm under the impression that 21.5" has normal size fonts. The larger 27" screen has much more DPI, which compresses more "dots" into the same inch of screen. Which means, the font size (like menus and icons) is much smaller. Thus, weaker eyes (like my older eyes) must get closer to the screen - to read the fine print text. This means the larger size 27" is even more harder on one's eyes. Younger / stronger eyes can take much more stress then weaker eyes.

For me, I ordered the 21.5" screen. If current version of OS would allow adjustable font sizing (like Win XP / Win 7), I probably would have purchased the 27" screen instead. For now, we can only use what is available.

Hope this helps...

Older eyes here to, so going for the 21.5" iMac. Thanks, very helpful!:D

pterosaur

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
Variable display size

Remember that the display will shrink over time. Like our 50-inch TV, which seemed so large when we got it and now is just "normal" sized. I expect the 27-inch iMac will shrink to 15-20 inches within a few months...

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Older eyes here to, so going for the 21.5" iMac. Thanks, very helpful!:D

My eyes are shocking (both have had detached retinas and I've had two vitrectomys and a membranectomy and now have the first signs of cataracts and I'm only in my mid 40's). I just got the 27" to replace an old 20" iMac and I find the screen very easy to read. I was concerned I would have trouble but it is a great screen. It's like working on an IMAX screen :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.