Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Does anyone know how to remove the DRM Licence from iTunes or Napster.

I'm not going to share it, so therefore its legal (apparently)

Really appreciate it,

Thanks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Not at all. It may have worked briefly in 2001 for WMA7. To my knowledge there are no real "cracks" for WMA10 or iTunes6 short of line-out to line-in, or burn to CD and rip, or sound card grabs like Audio Hijack/WireTap.

As to the legality of such an activity, it varies from country to country, but is most likely illegal in the US under the DMCA, so I would advise to you take this discussion elsewhere since this forum tries to stay away from discussions of illegal activities.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
wasimyaqoob said:
Freeme does NOT work
Didn't I already say that? None of the various WMA DRM removal exploits that have been published have lasted very long, unlike hymn for iTunes which had a pretty good run. It's part of the design of WMA DRM that they can update it pretty quickly when it has been hacked.

wasimyaqoob said:
I do have a degree in Law.
And you gave it all up to become a professional gamer. :rolleyes: ;) Things must be tough for lawyers in the UK.

I don't think that someone with a Law degree would say "therefore its legal (apparently)" (unless they found said degree in a Cracker Jack box). Unless in the UK lawyers as less sure of themselves than in any other country I've been to. Most attorneys would say something like "under Article IX I have un unalienable right to remove DRM, so I demand you give me the tools to do so!"

To all the lawyers out there I'm kidding! Don't sue me!

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Chundles said:
Just to pull you up there, they don't call them "attorneys" in England.
Yeah, but he got the meaning, What is the proper general term on the other side of the pond? and down under?

B

kinesin

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
wasimyaqoob said:
I do have a degree in Law.

Then you will know that in the UK we don't even have a legal right to copy CD's to mp3 or ipods etc. See links for attempts this year to be made legal.
http://tinyurl.com/q3ym6

We are also subject to the European Copyright Directive (EUCD) since it came into force (Nov 2003), and possibley European Intellectual Property Enforcement Directive (I'm unsure of it's current state).

As for removing the DRM:
Itunes - Get a CD-RW and burn/import - this might even be possible by creating images & mount image files - Easy under linux etc.
Napster - ain't a clue, line out/line in recording. :(

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
wasimyaqoob said:
Surely there must be some way that we can remove the DRM on WMA/MP3's
You're not listening. Soundcard grabbers like Audio Hijack/WireTap/tunebite/SoundTaxi or simply taking the line out and plugging it into your line in are the only options today. Legal or not. Even if Janus/WMA10 gets cracked beyond that MS will have that hole plugged real fast as they have done with past cracks.

Take the topic to an appropriate forum like http://www.hymn-project.org/forums

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
wasimyaqoob said:
Just found a program which cracks DRM on Napster songs.

Its called Tunebite, its AWESOME!

Only costs £10.

Wonderful.

a) You're still violating the terms of a license you signed up to when you joined Napster
b) tunebite just exploits the "analog hole" digitally and uses napster to do the decoding, you end up with an uncompressed WAV file snagged from the sound card which you can then compress to another format introducing more loss in quality. There is no cracking going on and you could have achieved the same result by plugging your digital line out into your digital line in.
c) I mentioned tunebite by name in post 15, as well as a number of other programs that can do the same thing with varying degrees of quality.

B

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Got the licence for SoundTaxi.

This piece of software is wicked, so much quicker and does multiple songs unlike Tunebite.

Highly recommended.

By purchasing songs, i should have the freedom to share them among my devices such as iPod.

Digitial Rights Management is just silly, and it had to be Microsoft which started it.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
Got the licence for SoundTaxi.

This piece of software is wicked, so much quicker and does multiple songs unlike Tunebite.

Highly recommended.

By purchasing songs, i should have the freedom to share them among my devices such as iPod.

Digitial Rights Management is just silly, and it had to be Microsoft which started it.

I know this thread is old, but has anyone had a problem with a 4 second delay before the music starts after you've used SoundTaxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.