Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay's new promotion offers savings on 1-800-Flowers just in time for Mother's Day on May 13. With the promo, if you use Apple Pay to shop the Gift Collection in the 1-800-Flowers iOS app [Direct Link] or on 1800Flowers.com, you can get $15 off your order.

apple-pay-promo-mothers-day.jpg

The discount will be applied automatically in the checkout process, and will last through May 13, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EST. The flower shop's Gift Collection includes floral collections, popcorn tins, tea and fruit baskets, and more bundles ranging in price from $25 to over $100. Many of the arrangements support same-day delivery by local florists.

The Mother's Day promotion encourages customers to shop for their moms at retail stores like Saks Fifth Avenue, Macy's, and Lululemon, where Apple Pay is supported. Within apps, Apple says that Etsy, Soothe, and Print Studio make it "even easier to show Mom you love her" with unique gift options.

Apple has been consistently launching promos for Apple Pay users this year, last week focusing on furniture savings with Hayneedle. Prior to that, partners included McDonald's, Adidas, Hotwire, Fanatics, Grubhub, Seamless, TouchTunes, Fandango, and more.

Article Link: Apple Pay Promo Takes $15 Off 1-800-Flowers Gift Orders for Mother's Day

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
1-800-Flowers is the worst. They just pass the orders to cheapest local florist who will substitute cheap flowers for anything expensive, so what your mother gets isn’t what you ordered.

If you really care about your mother, get flowers from somewhere else.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
1-800-Flowers is the worst. They just pass the orders to cheapest local florist who will substitute cheap flowers for anything expensive, so what your mother gets isn’t what you ordered.

Yeah it took me a couple of times to discover that when I ordered flowers for friends in other cities.:mad:

My mom and I can’t have flowers because we have cats who think a bouquet is a salad bar. :rolleyes: I’m happy with hand drawn pictures...of cats with flowers. :p

Reactions: Weaselboy

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It's interesting how we can't have it both ways--having a large national (or multi-national) corporation fulfill its own orders and ship things out from some warehouse from who-knows-where isn't good, but then using local businesses is seemingly not good either.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Both 1800 flowers and proflowers are notorious for bait and switch. Order flowers and you'll have a $20 shipping charge. Try the same order with a "free shipping code" and suddenly you'll have a $20 handling fee that never existed the first time.
Screw them both and screw Apple for such a crap deal.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
It's interesting how we can't have it both ways--having a large national (or multi-national) corporation fulfill its own orders and ship things out from some warehouse from who-knows-where isn't good, but then using local businesses is seemingly not good either.
Not sure what you’re talking about. Seems to me that using a local business over a national corporation is the best way to go in this case. It just doesn’t make sense to source a local business through a national company, which is basically what 1-800 flowers does. Just go on google or yelp and choose the local business with the best reviews.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not sure what you’re talking about. Seems to me that using a local business over a national corporation is the best way to go in this case. It just doesn’t make sense to source a local business through a national company, which is basically what 1-800 flowers does. Just go on google or yelp and choose the local business with the best reviews.
So what's the issue then with 1-800-flowers using local businesses?

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
So what's the issue then with 1-800-flowers using local businesses?
1. You’re paying them more than you would if you just deal with the local business directly. After all, they need to make money somehow.

2. You don’t get to choose which shop they use.

So my question is....what exactly is the point of using 1-800 Flowers?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
1. You’re paying them more than you would if you just deal with the local business directly. After all, they need to make money somehow.

2. You don’t get to choose which shop they use.

So my question is....what exactly is the point of using 1-800 Flowers?
With some deals a or coupons you might very well not be paying more. That aside, it's another business like Amazon or plenty of other ones that people can choose to use or use a local store or use something else entirely.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
With some deals a or coupons you might very well not be paying more. That aside, it's another business like Amazon or plenty of other ones that people can choose to use or use a local store or use something else entirely.
In most cases when you order from Amazon your order gets shipped directly from amazon. To me, it seems like 1800 Flowers is a pointless middle man between you and the local flower shop.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In most cases when you order from Amazon your order gets shipped directly from amazon. To me, it seems like 1800 Flowers is a pointless middle man between you and the local flower shop.
I've had it ship from many other sellers that sell through Amazon. At the same time on a few occasions that I've used 1-800-flowers or FTD I've had something shipped from them via FedEx (similar to something being sold by and shipped from Amazon), and on a few others I've had it come from a local florist, depending on the order.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Instead of getting mothers flowers, why not get them a small gift or even hand drawn card (if you're into that) it'll last much longer anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.