Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
My dad's friend had his intel iMac in his car yesterday, while he was driving home, and a security company's car skipped a red traffic light and hit him from the side at about 100km/h. The car lifted about a meter into the air, and rolled a couple of times, and then landed on its roof and carried on going for about 20 meters. When I heard about it, the first thing I thought of was the iMac:eek: I thought it was smashed into pieces, as he was taken to hospital with quite serious injuries, and the car was written off:eek: Not so. His wife switched it on this morning, and it worked PERFECTLY! It had no dents, and hardly any visible scratches! I couldn't beleive it! I never knew that good looking white plastic of the iMac was that durable as well! Well done Apple engineers!!!;)

Below are some photos of the car, but I haven't managed to get any photos of the iMac yet.

Attachments

• Image016.jpg
    Image016.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Image013.jpg
    Image013.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 139

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Infinity said:
Ouch! Damn shame about his car though.
i don't get it; what about the security car who hit him at 100 kilometres an hour while running a red light? are they not at fault; or am i just naive to think that they should be?

also, hypothetically, what if a car for an insurance company hit his car, and later it turned out that it was his own company that had hit him??? that would be like a conflict of interest or something right?

anyway that's BS getting written off.

but you used KM/H so hopefully that means you're here in canada so treatment should be free right?
EDIT- ok apparently South Africa also uses KM/H:eek: my bad... but anyway what about his treatment??

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Wow, I mean at 100km/h....that PT Cruiser is hardly messed up. It's still whole...not even really all smashed up, that's pretty amazing. I've seen cars get hit at 40mph and they look totally screwed up. Look at the way the window on the PT Cruiser like bent...how the heck can glass do that, haha.

Best wishes to the poor person driving that doing nothing wrong to have that happen to them. :(

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Mr_Brightside_@ said:
but you used KM/H so hopefully that means you're here in canada so treatment should be free right?
EDIT- ok apparently South Africa also uses KM/H:eek: my bad... but anyway what about his treatment??

Err... most of Europe use KM/H... ;)

I hope your dad's friend is allright, that looks like a nasty crash but the car seems to have held up pretty well. Its dented but not mashed up at least. I'm guessing whiplash, broken ribs, concussion and lots and lots of bruises in a crash like that?

Also, you might want to head over there and *completely* test the iMac out, especially the hard drive and optical drive. Do full hard drive tests. If there's anything wrong with it then they need to add it on to the insurance claim sharpish. Hard drives can appear to work fine but are actually failing - clicking noises, slow to do things. There's nothing more irritating than a failing hard disk.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Yay for the iMac!

Yay that car was damaged, awful cars.

Noo that someone could have got hurt.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Spanky Deluxe said:
Err... most of Europe use KM/H... ;)
yahh... maybe i should of payed attention when i was there for a fracking month... but i guess i didn't:rolleyes: anyway it's still stupid getting written off.
best wishes, Mr B.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
You hear your dad's friend is in a serious accident and the first thing you think about is the iMac?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
madog said:
:(

That probably would have been the first thing to cross my mind as well. Kind of sad, really.

You guys have got to be kidding me.

You're saying you are more concerned with a piece of plastic and metal, than a human life.

That's sick.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Hope for a speedy recovery for the injured....Don't care for the imac....sounds like a serious crash.

My mother was in a crash yesturday but i'm not even in the same state as her....shes fine though......THANK GOD!

Bless

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
killuminati said:
You guys have got to be kidding me.

You're saying you are more concerned with a piece of plastic and metal, than a human life.

That's sick.
No one said they were more concerned with it, just that they would instinctively fear that the brand new iMac was damaged before thinking that someone could be injured or killed.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
someguy said:
No one said they were more concerned with it, just that they would instinctively fear that the brand new iMac was damaged before thinking that someone could be injured or killed.

And that's exactly what I think is sick.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
killuminati said:
And that's exactly what I think is sick.

It's an instinct, instincts aren't really sick... just primitive. Material objects (in general, not in this particular case.. and more in the past than the present) are important to our own wellbeing and survival, and we generally think of our own wellbeing before the wellbeing of others.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Chaszmyr said:
It's an instinct, instincts aren't really sick... just primitive. Material objects (in general, not in this particular case.. and more in the past than the present) are important to our own wellbeing and survival, and we generally think of our own wellbeing before the wellbeing of others.

Very well put.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Mr_Brightside_@ said:
anyway that's BS getting written off.

When he says written off, I am assuming that the insurance company is callng the car, to use a term here in the states, totaled. Meaning it is a total loss or a "write off" to the insurance company.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Chaszmyr said:

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. I guess I just can't imagine myself thinking about anything other than the person in that situation. Especially not something like a computer.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
mojohanna said:
When he says written off, I am assuming that the insurance company is callng the car, to use a term here in the states, totaled. Meaning it is a total loss or a "write off" to the insurance company.
Um... yeah... It happened to me too... I know what it means

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
howesey said:
Yay for the iMac!

Yay that car was damaged, awful cars.

Noo that someone could have got hurt.

If you're talking about the PT Crusier, yeah, they really are terrible. We had a blue one and I hated the thing. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE in the snow...doing 360's on the way home was pretty normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.