Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Photos is set to plug a couple of holes in its basic feature set over the next few days, bringing it in line with similar functions available in Apple Photos.

Google-Photos-800x427.jpg

Up until now, the cloud-based photo service has lacked the ability to favorite photos, but that's about to change. Google says it's rolling out an option for users to tap a star in the upper right of any photo in their library, and the photos will be automatically added to a new Favorites album.

Google Photos will also soon let users "heart" photos that have been shared with them, which essentially functions the same way the "Like" button does in Apple's Shared Photo Albums, adding a touch of social interaction to the service.

It's OK to play favorites. Rolling out this week, tap the ? button to mark a photo as a favorite. Head to the Albums tab and view all your favorites in one place. pic.twitter.com/eWnSMDKQ72 - Google Photos (@googlephotos) May 21, 2018

Google has promised additional Photos features powered by some AI innovations the company showcased at its I/O event earlier this month. They include suggested quick edits to improve images, color pop, and the ability to colorize old photos.

Google Photos is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Photos Gains 'Favorite' Feature and Shared Album 'Hearts'

dooganau

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Yeah, but it still has Google’s algorithms and who-knows what else crawling all over your family’s photos.

Love iCloud Photo Library.

After the initial long upload to Googles unlimited storage, Google photos very impressive. The accuracy of search is amazing as well (as one would expect from them). I understand privacy concerns, but this is the world we live in now. Something is always parsing the data no matter who you are with and what they claim.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I don't care about Google Photos. I just want Apple to let me move my stuff from my camera roll into individual folders.

Reactions: toph2toast

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is this still macrumors? Sure seems to be an increased amount of non Mac headlines/coverage.
A post of this type comes up from someone in various articles here and there for years and years--so, yeah, it's still MacRumors, just as it has been for a long time.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Good job that Facebook thing proved such a flop. Imagine what they would/could do...

Haha. Depends how you use facebook though. Admittedly some take & store all of their photos on that service.

I’m very selective about which photos I upload to facebook, and I’m never going to trust them with my entire library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.