Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the summer, a few new and upcoming Philips Hue light fixtures leaked online, including an Outdoor Light Strip and White Ambience Adore Vanity Mirror. This week, the company has announced prices and confirmed an August 20 launch date for most of these products, as well as revealed a collection of new Hue lights. As usual, all of the new Hue lights are compatible with Apple's HomeKit platform.

To start off, the previously seen Outdoor Lightstrip is designed specifically for all-weather use with a diffused coating that ensures the Lightstrip can be used as both a direct or indirect light source. Users can easily bend and shape the Lightstrip for all yard designs, or apply it to fences and railways using included clips and screws.

hue-lightstrip-outdoor-image.jpg

The White and Color Ambiance Outdoor Lightstrip will cost $159.99 in a 16 ft. model and $89.99 in a 7 ft. model. Pre-orders will go up on August 20, and then the product will launch in early October.

The White Ambiance Adore Collection consists of the Adore Vanity Mirror and a flushmount ceiling fixture, which are both Damp rated to ensure bathroom moisture won't degrade them over time. Each Adore light includes a ringed outer-edge area that "prevents unwanted shadows" from appearing in a bathroom, with four pre-set light recipes for morning and nighttime routines.

hue-adore-vanity.jpg

The Adore Vanity Mirror will cost $249.99 and the flushmount Adore Ceiling Light will cost $179.99, and both will be available starting August 20.

hue-flushmount-ceiling-adore.jpg

A new kitchen and dining area light has also been announced in the form of the White Ambiance Being Pendant. This fixture is a brushed aluminum light that complements the company's existing Being flush ceiling fixture and aims to give users the "right shade of white light" for dinners and relaxing.

hue-being-pendant.jpg

The Being Pendant will run for $249.99 and launches on August 20.

Also aimed at kitchen use is the White and Color Ambiance Enchant Pendant Light, a slim hanging fixture that the company says is designed to place over a kitchen or dining table, island, or bar. The light includes one Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 bulb.

hue-enchant-pendant.jpg

The Enchant Pendant Light will be priced at $99.99 and also launches on August 20.

Lastly, the White and Color Ambiance Ascend Collection includes a Pendant Light, Floor Light, Wall Light, and Table Lamp, all designed for everyday lightning needs. Each fixture has a 360-degree open glass design for optimal light output, and the floor, wall, and table lamps have a movable head so you can point the light directly where you need it.

hue-ascend-pendant-and-floor-light.jpg
The Ascend Pendant Light (left) and Floor Light (right)

The Floor Lamp and Pendant Lamp come with a White and Color Ambiance A19 bulb, and the Wall Light and Table Lamp include a White and Color Ambiance E12 candle bulb. The prices on the Ascend Collection are as follows: $99.99 (Wall Light), $129.99 (Table Lamp), $149.99 (Pendant Light), and $179.99 (Floor Lamp). Every fixture in the Ascend Collection launches in early October.

hue-ascend-wall-and-table-light.jpg
The Ascend Wall Light (left) and Table Lamp (right)

On the software side of things, Philips Hue has received a few updates over the past few months for both its iOS and macOS apps. In May, the company debuted a revamped 3.0 update to the iOS app, bringing improved navigation, brightness controls and light visualization for individual lights and not just grouped-together rooms, and new color pickers for a better overview and grouping of lights in a room.

A few days later, the company launched a "Philips Hue Sync" macOS and PC app, allowing users to sync their Hue lights to any film, song, and game that they have on their computer.

For the new lights, it appears that some have yet to propagate on the company's website, but they should all begin appearing within the next few days, ahead of the launch/pre-order date on August 20.

Article Link: Philips Hue Announces Lineup of New Fixtures and Lights, First Few Launching August 20

QandnotU

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Every new hue offering renders in-wall switches useless. Not sure why an in-wall switch that controls their lights and HomeKit scenes isn't a priority for them. Their current offerings are a visual dumpster fire.

Reactions: KingBowser64

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Every new hue offering renders in-wall switches useless. Not sure why an in-wall switch that controls their lights and HomeKit scenes isn't a priority for them. Their current offerings are a visual dumpster fire.

Because the light bulbs always need to be powered, this true for all smart light bulbs.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
All these new lights are nice, but Philips is missing the elephant in the room: brighter damn bulbs. Their bulbs are around 60W equivalent, which is fine. But come on! There are times when you just need more damn light! Like maybe a 75W equivalent, standard size bulb. My whole home is filled with dozens of every manner of Hue lights & switches, and I really love them. But the lack of a brighter light for certain areas is a real bummer.

And if Hue is reading this, here are a few other bulb types I wish they’d make:
- globe light bulbs for standard vanities and other fixtures
- small bulbs/fixtures for underneath kitchen cabinets, library shelves, etc.

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
All these new lights are nice, but Philips is missing the elephant in the room: brighter damn bulbs. Their bulbs are around 60W equivalent, which is fine. But come on! There are times when you just need more damn light! Like maybe a 75W equivalent, standard size bulb. My whole home is filled with dozens of every manner of Hue lights & switches, and I really love them. But the lack of a brighter light for certain areas is a real bummer.

Their indoor strip lights work well under kitchen cabinets. They suffer from the same problem as most of their other lights in that they're not blindingly bright, but they're great as a late-night sort of night-light thing. Kinda expensive, though, in my opinion.
[doublepost=1533920785][/doublepost]
Remove the original switch, cap the wires and install Hue switch.

A piece of white electrical tape on the original switch also works nicely to discourage people from flipping it.

I kind of like the wall switches they have. Flat, unobtrusive, and you can rip them off the wall and carry them with you easily.

In reality, though, my front porch light and livingroom lights are on timers, and my hallway/stair lights are on movement sensors, so the only button I really need on the wall switches is the 'off' one on occasion.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Love my Hue lights, but...

I bought the ceiling light fixture last year. Its basically a flimsy cheap plastic fixture with a Hue strip inside. Not worth $200 + Sent it back.

Just get a cool fixture design from Ikea and put a Hue bulb in it for a fraction of the price.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

Add to that list:

• Sort out your damn app! It's still woefully unreliable and slow
  • Allow for more customisations of the motion sensors

Thanks.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I'm sure they are working on this. Might be tricky since apple tv doesn't run mutliple apps at once (right?) but I'm sure we'll see this...someday?
I could be mistaken, but I believe the Netflixs/Hulus have something that runs some kind of screen capture detection to prevent people making copies of their content. If that is the case I think it would be hard to implement this. I really hope that we do one day see this become a reality.

Right now it works awesome with music syncing, but 99.999% of the time I am watching a movie or show it is through the Apple TV and not my computer so the screen "mimicking" abilities are almost useless to me. Id also like to see some kind of custom color option for the music syncing instead of the 5 or so preset options.

Reactions: centauratlas

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not my personal taste on these fixtures, but I would love if hue sync could work on apple tv.

like wise!

Siri works great with Hue ... I just setup 3 bulbs in my small apartment last month and I'm already sleeping a bit better and waking up better because of this. Forming new computing habits as well when it's late at night.

I think Philips next major endeavours are:

Studies with insomniacs and lighting! (I'm a subscriber by life to this lol)
Major deals with home makers: Tivoli and competing condo retailers, etc.

In my ... electrical uneducated mind I have to surmise and ask:
Doesn't a higher Watt bulb defeat the purpose of having an LED bulb?!
IS there a way to increase brightness without increasing Wattage, voltage etc?
- maybe even using Mirrors within to reflect more light outwardly? More light refraction equals (hopefully) more light in a room?

Reactions: orbital~debris

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Search for Friends of Hue, doesn't stop there though, there are a few mayor brands of switches already, but it's not widely knows, those switches use the zigbee protocol, expensive though, like this one >€100 with buttons and accessories, more for laser engraving is needed

Because the light bulbs always need to be powered, this true for all smart light bulbs.

Use a zigbee switch, remove normal switch, connect the 2 wires in the box, add a zigbee switch and you're set.

Remove the original switch, cap the wires and install Hue switch.

Sorry but the Hue switch isn't an option for in wall installation for most, there are hacks though and some brands will come out with switches made for Hue under the Hue friends name, there are already brands like JUNG which have them available now.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
- maybe even using Mirrors within to reflect more light outwardly? More light refraction equals (hopefully) more light in a room?

Don't confuse watts and lumens. A ~60watt incandescent puts out ~800 lumens. An LED of the same brightness uses just a handful of watts.

There are 100-watt equivalent LED's out there, but Phillips doesn't seem to have interest in making them.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Add to that list:

• Sort out your damn app! It's still woefully unreliable and slow
  • Allow for more customisations of the motion sensors

Thanks.
Both needed!

At this point, I use the Home app for most interactions. Especially since HomePod came out. But it would be great if their app were faster and was easier.
[doublepost=1533941480][/doublepost]
like wise!

Siri works great with Hue ... I just setup 3 bulbs in my small apartment last month and I'm already sleeping a bit better and waking up better because of this. Forming new computing habits as well when it's late at night.

I think Philips next major endeavours are:

Studies with insomniacs and lighting! (I'm a subscriber by life to this lol)
Major deals with home makers: Tivoli and competing condo retailers, etc.

Naw. It’s not actual wattage. It’s only used to reference what the equivalent brightness would be for an incandescent bulb that was 60 watts. The actual watts used by an LED are like 10.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I really hope that celling light is sold in Japan. For some reason, not all Hue products are available here. (The chandelier-style lights, for instance.) I really want to replace the ceiling lights in all of our traditional tatami rooms, and these new fixtures would be perfect.

maxfromdenmark

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Copenhagen
No one from Philips read posts on this page guys but if you have any wish about the products try to post on Philips Hue Facebook instead. They read and sometimes answer. This is better way to contact company and ask them for better products.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm still waiting for them to work without a hub. Seems like the way everything is going utilizing mesh networks and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.