Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

instagramlogo-250x250.jpg
Instagram has added an emoji shortcut bar to its mobile app that places the user's most-used emojis above the keyboard whenever they start to comment on a post (via The Verge).

The new emoji bar doesn't appear on other occasions in the app that call for the use of the onscreen keyboard, such as when a user creates a post or comments on a Story.

Instagram has obviously identified post comments as the place where emoji are most frequently used on the platform, and naturally wants to make the interaction as easy as possible.

The feature has been in limited testing since May, but only recently became available to everyone on the image-led social network with the latest mobile app update.

That feeling when your favorite emojis are right in front of you 🙌😍 pic.twitter.com/QPF8eGc5yD - Instagram (@instagram) September 6, 2018

The use of emoji in digital communications has skyrocketed ever since Apple introduced the emoji keyboard to iOS back in October 2011. In the month following the introduction, Instagram revealed that 10 percent of text on the social network included the use of emoji.

By March 2015, nearly half of all text on the platform contained the ubiquitous expressive characters, leading Instagram to employ machine learning to recognize long-term emoji trends. This latest update might be regarded as an inevitable outcome of its extensive analysis.

Article Link: Instagram Update Adds Emoji Shortcuts Bar for Faster Comments

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
It makes sense that they are doing this. I know quite a few people who will enjoy it. I just wish some of these options were settings you could disable. I’d disable this, stories, and their TV thing. At some point it’s just too much distraction, I think, from the reason I’m there: posts.

lellis2k

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Barmoji is a great jailbreak tweak that adds this functionality to the stock iOS keyboard in the completely unused space between emoji icon and mic icon on the iPhoneX. Today I unjailbroke my phone for iOS 12 and already miss it :(

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Odd, I had that for months...

Facebook and Instagram roll out and test new features slowly, testing them with groups in certain areas before rolling them out more widely. You may often see new features pop up that haven't been pushed to all users.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It makes sense that they are doing this. I know quite a few people who will enjoy it. I just wish some of these options were settings you could disable. I’d disable this, stories, and their TV thing. At some point it’s just too much distraction, I think, from the reason I’m there: posts.
I have had this crappy emoji feature for a month or so for whatever reason. It’s awful and the emoji it suggests aren’t ones I’ve ever even used before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.