Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beloved84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
So my computer is completely stock and when i turn my computer on it displays a folder with a question mark rather than the apple logo. After a few seconds it turns off! Then I turn it on again it last a little bit longer till mac boots and then it turns off again! whats going?

If i bring it the genius bar can they fix it?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I can't guarantee that the geniuses would be able to fix it, but at least letting them witness it could be a good thing.

However, you might want to try a few things before you go:

1. Reset your PRAM
2. Reset your PMU
3. Boot from the Install DVD to see if that works. If it does, make sure your startup disk is set correctly and repair permissions.

beloved84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
emw said:
I can't guarantee that the geniuses would be able to fix it, but at least letting them witness it could be a good thing.

However, you might want to try a few things before you go:

1. Reset your PRAM
2. Reset your PMU
3. Boot from the Install DVD to see if that works. If it does, make sure your startup disk is set correctly and repair permissions.

Tired all of that. doesn't work.

beloved84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
back on my PC. argh! and school is starting too.... seriously i expect more from apple

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
How long have you had it and when did it start exhibiting this problem?

Did you install Boot Camp? If so, you might want to try a fresh install.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
You didn't say what you have, but if it's brand new it's probably a hardware problem--if something goes wrong with any electronics, it's almost always in the first month, give or take.

If it's an old computer (and out of warranty), the Genius bar might be able to give you some suggestions, but it's unlikely to be a software fix. If you're lucky, it's just the hard drive dying (which is possible based on those symptoms), since those are very easy to replace.

I wouldn't really blame Apple too much--you get a bum unit sometimes, that's just the way it goes. Particularly if it's a drive problem, those that have trouble usually run perfectly at first but fail pretty quickly, and Apple has no way of testing for or addressing this other than replacing it under warranty. Same is true for any computer manufacturer.

beloved84 said:
So my computer is completely stock and when i turn my computer on it displays a folder with a question mark rather than the apple logo. After a few seconds it turns off! Then I turn it on again it last a little bit longer till mac boots and then it turns off again! whats going?

If i bring it the genius bar can they fix it?
What kind of Mac are you using? Your power supply could be overheating and causing the mac to shut off. Knowing your machine will help.

beloved84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Macmaniac said:
What kind of Mac are you using? Your power supply could be overheating and causing the mac to shut off. Knowing your machine will help.

you know what i think it might be the heat. normally, what is the temp that causes a CPU to turn off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.