Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular third-party accessory company Aukey has debuted a new crop of discount codes this week, this time including two sales on useful wall charger accessories. Both of the deals seen below will expire on Monday, January 21, so be sure to check them out on Amazon and place your order before the end of the upcoming weekend.

Aukey USB Wall Charger with Four Ports

aukey-image-1.jpg

The first device is Aukey's USB Wall Charger that has four ports, perfect as a hub charging station for multiple devices like a pair of iPhones, an iPad, and an Apple Watch. It includes Aukey's AiPower charging technology to adaptively charge any 5V USB device from Apple and Android at up to 2.4 amps.

The USB Wall Charger is available for $15.99 with code AUKEYD48, down from $19.99.

Aukey Ultra Compact USB Wall Charger With Two Ports

aukey-image-2.jpg

Similar to the USB Wall Charger, Aukey also sells a smaller version with the Ultra Compact USB Wall Charger. This device has many of the same features as the larger accessory, in a smaller enclosure and with half of the available USB charging ports.

The Ultra Compact USB Wall Charger is available for $7.01 with code AUKEYD49, down from $12.99

Aukey has a few more coupon codes that expire on January 21, so be sure to head to our Deals Roundup to see the full list and browse even more sales happening this week.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: Get Aukey's USB Wall Chargers for as Low as $7 This Week

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It still amazes me how crappy and unsafe US power plugs are, far inferior to the ones used in Europe, the UK ones are the most sturdy ones but way too bulky and who needs a fuse in every plug, the more compact EU ones are better IMO.

As for these USB chargers, I never need more than one at a time, I do understand 2 but 4, for what?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
It still amazes me how crappy and unsafe US power plugs are, far inferior to the ones used in Europe, the UK ones are the most sturdy ones but way too bulky and who needs a fuse in every plug, the more compact EU ones are better IMO.

As for these USB chargers, I never need more than one at a time, I do understand 2 but 4, for what?
Multiple devices.. multiple people.

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007

Phone, tablet, headphones, smart watch - that's 4 devices that you can charge over USB, and I bring all of them with me when I travel (Heck, I use all of them on a daily basis anyways).

But lets say you're old school... you and the wife are travelling together. You each have a phone, so there's 2 ports. Toss in a tablet, or some headphones, maybe a watch... you can quickly use 4 ports.

Granted, it's becoming less and less necessary to bring the charger with you - hotels and airports have USB ports for charging scattered all over the place these days. Just bring the USB cable. You may have to fight for a plug at the airport, but at the hotel they've got them in the lamps, in the radios, in the back of the TV. Bringing your own charger is more for convenience than anything else, and on the off-chance your hotel hasn't upgraded anything in the past decade.

Reactions: decypher44

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA

Cannot comment on crappy but unsafe? What makes you say that? I would be surprised if there is any quantitative information available that shows with a degree of statistical significance that the European power plugs are safer than what is in use in the US.

Reactions: imola.zhp

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Cannot comment on crappy but unsafe? What makes you say that? I would be surprised if there is any quantitative information available that shows with a degree of statistical significance that the European power plugs are safer than what is in use in the US.

There are some safety features of UK and/or EU plugs that make them safer. UK plugs, if I'm not mistaken, are always grounded, and require the ground pin to be inserted before the hot or neutral can be, preventing kids from sticking forks or whatever in the plug.

And yet, somehow, we Yanks manage not to kill ourselves. Accidents do happen, of course, but it's hardly an epidemic.

Reactions: imola.zhp

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Wish there was a discount on the 3.0 18W fast charge ones. I have been eyeing one of those.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If you plug it into a standard dual AC wall outlet, does it leave the other half of the outlet usable or does it cover both of them?

dual-ac-outlet.jpg

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

UK outlets are overkill for most things and bulky. Though the one thing they have going for them is they are sturdy, which is nice.

underattack

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I really like these chargers when traveling. I use a similar one from CableMatters that also includes a USB-C port that is suitable to charge my 13" MacBook Pro (plus 3 USB-A ports). So this way I have all the chargers I need (laptop, iPad, phone, watch). The CableMatters one uses a standard "figure 8" cable, which makes it more flexible with respect to the outlet location. Also makes it easier with foreign countries (I just carry another cable for the different country, so no messing around with adapters). Personally, traveling with two laptops, I would love to see one with two USB-C ports. But I guess it would get bulkier to supply all that power. Can't have enough ports in a power brick. Kind of like a never having too many rounds in your gun.

Whitfield

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Weird, I can't figure out how to use the code. I wind up at Amazon, don't see a place to add the code to the product page or in my cart, then it rejects the code when I use it on the checkout page: "The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase." Little help?

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL

Really? We've got two iPads and three iPhones, and three sets of bluetooth headphones. I have a four unit in my kitchen that we plug the iPads into and occasionally our phones if they're running low. I have three three port units in our home that my wife, daughter, and I plug our phones, watches, and headphones into every night. The only time we have a single/dual port unit is if it's to go.

Whitfield

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Weird, I can't figure out how to use the code. I wind up at Amazon, don't see a place to add the code to the product page or in my cart, then it rejects the code when I use it on the checkout page: "The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase." Little help?

FYI, I reached out to the MR article author, this was the response: "I just tried to do it myself and it does appear that the second code has expired for some reason. Aukey told me these would go through the 21st... sorry about that!"

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Really? We've got two iPads and three iPhones, and three sets of bluetooth headphones. I have a four unit in my kitchen that we plug the iPads into and occasionally our phones if they're running low. I have three three port units in our home that my wife, daughter, and I plug our phones, watches, and headphones into every night. The only time we have a single/dual port unit is if it's to go.

Yup, really, you're an exception, I never come across people who need more than 2 at the same time, and if they really do they plug it into another outlet, most people do not need 4 charging points in one charger.

The post below you already did a decent job explaining it.

I built technical stuff (electrical) for both the European and the American markets amongst others (worldwide), CE and UL, I and all of my colleagues hate building for the US market, UL sucks, and then those plugs, ugh.
Been to the states a few times, flimsy plugs, they barely do their job.

Last edited:

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yup, really, you're an exception, I never come across people who need more than 2 at the same time, and if they really do they plug it into another outlet, most people do not need 4 charging points in one charger.

I built technical stuff (electrical) for both the European and the American markets amongst others (worldwide), CE and UL, I and all of my colleagues hate building for the US market, UL sucks, and then those plugs, ugh.

I’d agree with you before Apple removed the headphone jack, but now everyone these days has Bluetooth headphones and most have watches in addition to their phone. 3+ adapters are pretty normal now. They don’t outsell 2 port (or less) adapters, but I can see most houses having at least one 3+ adapter as a lot of parents have to share outlets with their kids (and especially with the prices seen on Amazon).

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA

They work well enough to power the world's largest economy. :)

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015

I have many usb chargeable items--phone, ipad, kindle, booklight, portable keyboard, touchpad... Sometimes they all seem to need charging at the same time.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

That classic internet pastime: my anecdote can beat up your anecdote.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
not that this adaptor suffers from the same problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.