Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter today launched its Twitter Prototype Program and is accepting applications from people who want to beta test new Twitter features on iOS devices. Twitter's tests will be done through a new app called Twttr rather than in the existing Twitter app.

The first feature Twitter plans to test is a new design for conversations, which will make it easier to follow replies to an initial tweet.

twitterepliesbeta-800x844.jpg

Twitter asks beta testing applicants for their user name, which device they most often use Twitter on, primary language, and country of residence.

Want to help us build some new Twitter features? We want it to be easier to read, understand, and join conversations -- and we'd love to know what you think. Sign up to be one of the first to try out our new prototype app, twttr. #LetsHaveAConvo - Twitter Support (@TwitterSupport) February 20, 2019
After filling out the form, the company says users who have applied will receive an update on application status within a few weeks.

Article Link: Twitter Taking Applications for Prototype 'Twttr' App for Testing New Features

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Wasn’t twttr their original name?

There’s nothing wrong with their layout now. Let’s hope they listen to everyone using this.

jeffkempster

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
I wonder if this is ok with Apple? According to the AppStore’s rules you can’t use the store to distribute beta versions. I feel like prototype and beta are the same here. Here’s the rule I am talking about.

“2.2 Beta Testing
Demos, betas, and trial versions of your app don’t belong on the App Store – use TestFlight instead. “

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I don’t even use the official app anymore. You can’t do something as simple as searching your timeline for keywords, like you can on Tweetbot.
You can do that easily with Twitter's search function because it supports the same advanced search functions as the desktop site. You search your own timeline with the keyword(s) followed by "from:[username]".

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Nadir98

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
I wonder if this is ok with Apple? According to the AppStore’s rules you can’t use the store to distribute beta versions. I feel like prototype and beta are the same here. Here’s the rule I am talking about.

“2.2 Beta Testing
Demos, betas, and trial versions of your app don’t belong on the App Store – use TestFlight instead. “

Pretty sure they'll use TestFlight. A lot of companies use this approach.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I don’t even use the official app anymore. You can’t do something as simple as searching your timeline for keywords, like you can on Tweetbot.

Yeah, but Tweetbot (at no fault of TapBots) doesn't have all of the features of the official client. I've also never searched a keyword, so that flew entirely under the radar for me.

You can do that easily with Twitter's search function because it supports the same advanced search functions as the desktop site. You search your own timeline with the keyword(s) followed by "from:[username]".

But what if you want to search your feed, ie just the people you follow and anything they may have tweeted/retweeted?

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia

But 3rd party clients no longer has support for streamlining and Group DM
[doublepost=1550766969][/doublepost]
Pretty sure they'll use TestFlight. A lot of companies use this approach.
Most probably yeah they will use Testflight
[doublepost=1550767085][/doublepost]

Twitter today launched its Twitter Prototype Program and is accepting applications from people who want to beta test new Twitter features on iOS devices. Twitter's tests will be done through a new app called Twttr rather than in the existing Twitter app.

The first feature Twitter plans to test is a new design for conversations, which will make it easier to follow replies to an initial tweet.

twitterepliesbeta-800x844.jpg

Twitter asks beta testing applicants for their user name, which device they most often use Twitter on, primary language, and country of residence.

After filling out the form, the company says users who have applied will receive an update on application status within a few weeks.

Article Link: Twitter Taking Applications for Prototype 'Twttr' App for Testing New Features
This looks like a Reddit app to be honest lol

Reactions: Nadir98

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Is there a reason you're not satisfied with twitter.com? What would be different about a native MacOS app in your opinion? Just curious

A native app doesn't drop a cookie into Safari that then tracks me with every site I visit containing a twitter button. A native app doesn't log me out when I dump cache in my browser. A native app stays open and running when I shut my browser down. A native app can have UI elements specific to the app rather than relying on what can be accomplished in HTML. A native app can be assigned to all desktops without having all Safari windows appear on all desktops. A native app (in theory) can be better optimized for the task than a web page. A native app can have its window resized without affecting the window size of the next Safari window I spawn. Just a few off the top of my head.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.