Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are a few Apple-related deals and offers going on today, with the chance to save on the 2017 MacBook Pro, a refurbished iPhone 7, and Apple's official Leather Folio case for the iPhone X.

13-Inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

At B&H Photo, you can get the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (3.5 GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) for $1,999.00, down from $2,899.00 ($900 off). Although the model is a couple years old, this is one of the lowest prices we've seen for this configuration, and it's also priced $900 below a similar model from 2018.

2017-mbp-sale-311.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

As with all of B&H Photo's Deal Zone sales, you only have today, March 11, to take advantage of the discount. Head to B&H Photo to check out more information on the MacBook Pro, and if you're interested place your order before the deal expires tonight.

Refurbished iPhone 7

In another flash sale, you can purchase a refurbished and unlocked iPhone 7 for as low as $219.99 today only. The device is sold by Woot, and the Black and Rose Gold iPhone 7 models are available, with storage capacities including 32GB ($219.99) and 128GB ($259.99). Woot also sells a GSM/CDMA unlocked version of the 128GB iPhone 7 for $259.99.

iphone-7-refurb-sale-311.jpg

Woot's deal on the 32GB iPhone 7 is about $160 off from the price of a refurbished model sold by Apple, while the 128GB iPhone 7 is about $210 below the price of Apple's refurbished store. Woot promises that each refurbished device has been restored to full working order and may come with minor cosmetic blemishes and surface scratches on the display, but nothing that will impair the use of the device.

Leather Folio for iPhone X

At Amazon, you can get an Apple Leather Folio case for the iPhone X for over 50 percent off in a new limited-time sale. Below you can find each case discounted in today's sale:

leather-folio-311-sale.jpg
[*]Berry - $44.00, down from $99.00 ($55.00 off)
[*]Black - $49.99, down from $99.00 ($49.01 off)
[*]Taupe - $49.00, down from $99.00 ($50.00 off)
[*]Cosmos Blue - $60.00, down from $99.00 ($39.00 off) For more information on the latest sales, visit our full Deals Roundup.

Article Link: Deals: Save on 2017 MacBook Pro ($900 Off), Leather Folio Case for iPhone X ($55 Off), and Refurbished iPhone 7

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Finally, a discount on something with more than phone storage. It’s too bad I won’t pay half that for a problem laden model.

milkrocket

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Maple land
I am currently in the process of selling my 2016 MBP, only because of the TouchBar & Keyboard. Picked up an Air with just the TouchID. Even though it is quite a bit slower, the keyboard makes up for it.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Hey nitrant are you satisfied? I really want to pick up a Mac laptop, but the keyboards scare me, even the 2018 pro’s have issues with dead keys etc, is like the power even thou my use case runs more toward the air, and I had a 2013 air at one point. Is the panel on the air bright enough to make it ok to use

halluxsinister

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2017
Hey nitrant are you satisfied? I really want to pick up a Mac laptop, but the keyboards scare me, even the 2018 pro’s have issues with dead keys etc, is like the power even thou my use case runs more toward the air, and I had a 2013 air at one point. Is the panel on the air bright enough to make it ok to use

Hey... Apple will still sell you a real, actual 13" MacBook Air with the original trackpad and keyboard, (not one of the new ones with no Mag-Safe charger and that abominable new-style keyboard and oversized and unnecessary Force-Touch trackpad... but rather the one with the body style and GOOD keyboard that they introduced circa 2011-ish.) It's offered at a reasonable price (for an Apple... anything,) and decent performance. New, not refurbished, and if you have a .edu address, you can probably get it even cheaper with the education discount. If you're eligible for the education discount, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Shop for College," and scroll down the "MacBook Air" buy page, where you'll see it listed below the newer ones with the lousy keyboards. The screen isn't as fancy and neither are the graphics so if you need the very latest, this is probably not the one for you. Also, it has an aluminum screen bezel all around, and the light-up Apple logo on the back. The specs, in brief for the basic one are:

1.8GHz dual-core 5th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
128GB of SSD storage1
Intel HD Graphics 6000

Here's the link to this base model. You can then configure it from there.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/...rocessor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-2.9ghz-128gb#

It starts at $999 for the i5 1.8/2.9GHz model w/ 128GB SSD, and you can bump the processor to an i7 2.2/3.2 GHz for $150 more, and SSD options (selectable independently of processor,) add $200 for 256GB, and $400 for 512GB. You can select a variety of keyboard languages, and get this new computer straight from Apple. I think the models all have 8GB RAM.

Or you can buy one of the new ones with hardly any ports, and a crappy keyboard... basically a "MacBook" being incorrectly described as a "MacBook Air". This is the classic one, it's the one I use, and I wouldn't trade it for anything but the same one, of what Apple produces now. I need USB 3.x ports, and I REFUSE to pay extra to convert the port they added, (that I have no devices or cables that connect to it,) just to recover the capabilities I'd LOSE with a supposéd "UPGRADE".

Seems to me there were other problems with it when I briefly toyed with the idea... but can't recall what they were. The base model is $999 or $849.

The maxed out model will run you $1549, while with the ed-discount, $1359.

(None of these prices includes the roughly $100 to $150 sales tax you'll have to pay unless for some reason you're tax-exempt, with the exact amount varying by which options you select and where in the US you're buying. If outside the US, I have no idea how that impacts pricing and availability or IF it even does impact it at all.)

Good luck, hope this helped.

milkrocket

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Maple land

Ya, it's not bad tbh. This 2018-Air feels like my older MacBook Airs, and I really like the function keys + TouchID.

The negatives are, that it has near ZERO Cooling capacity and reaches 90-100 Celsius with ease during the lightest of loads. Nothing major, just simple tasks like opening a new browser window or uncompressing an archive. Also the 2 Thunderbolt ports are a joke and are wayyyyyyy too less.

If you want to copy the contents of say a 6TB HDD to another one, there is absolutely no way, except to maybe Charge to 100% and then hope it doesn't die midway.

I bought the cheapest MacBook Air for these reasons and the resale value. I may switch to Linux within a couple of years. I am getting kind of sick with the BS that Apple keeps pulling.

IMO The only decent MacBook out there at the moment are the 2015 MacBook Pros.
[doublepost=1552776206][/doublepost]
Hey... Apple will still sell you a real, actual 13" MacBook Air with the original trackpad and keyboard, (not one of the new ones with no Mag-Safe charger and that abominable new-style keyboard and oversized and unnecessary Force-Touch trackpad... but rather the one with the body style and GOOD keyboard that they introduced circa 2011-ish.) It's offered at a reasonable price (for an Apple... anything,) and decent performance. New, not refurbished, and if you have a .edu address, you can probably get it even cheaper with the education discount. If you're eligible for the education discount, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Shop for College," and scroll down the "MacBook Air" buy page, where you'll see it listed below the newer ones with the lousy keyboards. The screen isn't as fancy and neither are the graphics so if you need the very latest, this is probably not the one for you. Also, it has an aluminum screen bezel all around, and the light-up Apple logo on the back. The specs, in brief for the basic one are:

1.8GHz dual-core 5th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
128GB of SSD storage1
Intel HD Graphics 6000

Here's the link to this base model. You can then configure it from there.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/...rocessor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-2.9ghz-128gb#

It starts at $999 for the i5 1.8/2.9GHz model w/ 128GB SSD, and you can bump the processor to an i7 2.2/3.2 GHz for $150 more, and SSD options (selectable independently of processor,) add $200 for 256GB, and $400 for 512GB. You can select a variety of keyboard languages, and get this new computer straight from Apple. I think the models all have 8GB RAM.

Or you can buy one of the new ones with hardly any ports, and a crappy keyboard... basically a "MacBook" being incorrectly described as a "MacBook Air". This is the classic one, it's the one I use, and I wouldn't trade it for anything but the same one, of what Apple produces now. I need USB 3.x ports, and I REFUSE to pay extra to convert the port they added, (that I have no devices or cables that connect to it,) just to recover the capabilities I'd LOSE with a supposéd "UPGRADE".

Seems to me there were other problems with it when I briefly toyed with the idea... but can't recall what they were. The base model is $999 or $849.

The maxed out model will run you $1549, while with the ed-discount, $1359.

(None of these prices includes the roughly $100 to $150 sales tax you'll have to pay unless for some reason you're tax-exempt, with the exact amount varying by which options you select and where in the US you're buying. If outside the US, I have no idea how that impacts pricing and availability or IF it even does impact it at all.)

Good luck, hope this helped.

I paid $999 for this New MacBook Air during BlackFriday. AFAIK the old MacBook Air's are quite slow compared to the new ones. I am coming from a 2013 MBA -> 2016 MBP -> 2018 MBA. The MBP felt like a nice speedy upgrade, and the new 2018 Air seems to be pretty much the same speed as the 2016 MBP.

I am easily able to run an Ubuntu 16.04 VM at full speed and smoothness + have all the general crap running.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.