Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Austria's largest bank Erste Bank und Sparkasse today announced that Apple Pay is "coming soon" with a teaser on its Twitter account.

erste-apple-pay.jpg

Apple Pay has been gradually expanding across Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. The service launched in Belgium and Kazakhstan in November, made its long-awaited debut in Germany in December, and became available in the Czech Republic and Saudi Arabia last month. It looks like Austria will soon follow.

Bald auch bei uns: Sicher und einfach bezahlen mit Apple Pay. pic.twitter.com/AQlbyb0k05 - Erste Bank Sparkasse (@eb_spk) March 26, 2019

German-based mobile bank N26 also announced today that Apple Pay is coming soon to customers in Austria:

Coming Soon! @N26 will bring #ApplePay, which is transforming mobile payments with an easy, secure and private to pay that's fast and convenient to customers in Austria 🇦🇹 pic.twitter.com/iy3NK44Tli - N26 (@n26) March 26, 2019

Apple Pay first launched in the United States in October 2014 and is also available in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, France, Japan, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Russia, New Zealand, Brazil, Poland, Ireland, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates.

Apple CEO Tim Cook yesterday said Apple Pay will be available in more than 40 countries and regions by the end of 2019.

(Thanks, Steger Patrick and Adam Perjesi!)

Article Link: Apple Pay is Coming Soon to Austria

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016

Austria's largest bank Erste Bank und Sparkasse today announced that Apple Pay is "coming soon" with a teaser on its Twitter account.

erste-apple-pay.jpg

Apple Pay has been gradually expanding across Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. The service launched in Belgium and Kazakhstan in November, made its long-awaited debut in Germany in December, and became available in the Czech Republic and Saudi Arabia last month. It looks like Austria will soon follow.

German-based mobile bank N26 also announced today that Apple Pay is coming soon to customers in Austria:

Apple Pay first launched in the United States in October 2014 and is also available in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, France, Japan, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Russia, New Zealand, Brazil, Poland, Ireland, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates.

Apple CEO Tim Cook yesterday said Apple Pay will be available in more than 40 countries and regions by the end of 2019.

Article Link: Austria's Largest Bank Says Apple Pay is Coming Soon
Belgium, Vatican City, Ukraine also support Apple Pay. Edit the post.

timi22

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
How MacRumors experts could forget about Czech Republic?

erste-apple-pay.jpg

Article Link: Austria's Largest Bank Says Apple Pay is Coming Soon

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
I've been waiting for Apple Pay Cash since forever and I was hopeful that AT LEAST Apple would announce just that yesterday. No dice.

Reactions: Tremzy

Commodore 64

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009

erste-apple-pay.jpg

Article Link: Apple Pay is Coming Soon to Austria

Eventually we got :apple:Pay here in Norway too, and we like to be mentioned...:). Apple has got a full list of countries and banks on their website;)

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
And the Netherlands still shows no sign of inclusion.......
I have always asked myself why did Belgium get Apple Pay before The Netherlands or Luxembourg. The Benelux are well developed so I had hoped Apple would launch  Pay at the same time in Benelux.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I have always asked myself why did Belgium get Apple Pay before The Netherlands or Luxembourg. The Benelux are well developed so I had hoped Apple would launch  Pay at the same time in Benelux.
@troc The answer is simple: we have a very extensive and cheap system of contactless payment already. Also, The Netherlands has rules about the maximum fee that pin-transactions should cost. Apple exceeds that maximum.

The maximum was set till the end of 2021. Due to these rules and also other laws, also as having an impossible government, we can count that we won’t have Apple Pay in the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: nekonokami

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
@troc The answer is simple: we have a very extensive and cheap system of contactless payment already. Also, The Netherlands has rules about the maximum fee that pin-transactions should cost. Apple exceeds that maximum.

The maximum was set till the end of 2021. Due to these rules and also other laws, also as having an impossible government, we can count that we won’t have Apple Pay in the next 2-3 years.
And what about Luxembourg? I mean I mentioned Benelux: a collective name for Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Who cares...

ApplePay is not really needed here, I am as fast if not faster checking out with my card, already have it in my hand before the cashier even pushes the button on the POS, tap it, done.

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
After Our comments
What’s your point, weirdo?
[doublepost=1553633031][/doublepost]
Who cares...

ApplePay is not really needed here, I am as fast if not faster checking out with my card, already have it in my hand before the cashier even pushes the button on the POS, tap it, done.
“needed“ or „not needed“ lol, sweet..
Btw, Dutch people care, obviously..

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Neither does Mexico. But I think Netherlands will get Apple Pay before Mexico does. And today's news confirm that suspicion: Launching in Belgium and Austria without even mentioning Mexico (a much larger market than those two, BTW) confirms that apple WILL NOT launch Apple Pay in Mexico (or anywhere else in Latin America besides Brazil for that matter) so long as there are any countries left in Western Europe to launch it. And with Austria out of the way, that means Portugal and Netherlands will need to get Apple Pay before we can even think of a launch in Mexico.
[doublepost=1553633554][/doublepost]

Same for Mexico. Adding that it's highly doubtful that Apple will care about Mexico as long as there is a single European country left without Apple Pay. And since there are still several of them (Luxembourg, Netherlands and Portugal among others) we're certain to wait for at least another 5-10 years.

Last edited:

CaptainFS

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
I dont believe this. You cannot even pay by card in most shops in Austria. The only country in the EU where you need cash almost everywhere now offers Apple Pay? No way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.