Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has incorporated food ordering features into its mobile apps, allowing iOS and Android users to order food directly from a range of companies without having to install an additional app or visit a website.

google-apps-food-ordering.jpg

The functionality is available across U.S. cities in Google Search, Google Maps, and Google Assistant apps, and works through partnerships with existing delivery companies including DoorDash, Postmates, Delivery, Slice, and ChowNow.

In Google Search and Google Maps, there's a new "Order Online" button that appears when users search for a supported restaurant. Pressing the button lets you choose between pickup and delivery, and then select available food from the menu.

The feature works similarly in Google Assistant, which also supports reordering past selections. Users ask Google to order food from a specific restaurant, then they can choose a delivery service before selecting and paying for their order, all through the Google interface.

In addition to the partnerships mentioned above, Google plans to add support for Suppler and others in the future. As The Verge notes, major delivery services like Uber Eats, Deliveroo, Grubhub, and Just Eat are currently not supported.

Article Link: Food Ordering Features Now Available in Google's Mobile Apps

Villarrealadrian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2016
I think siri has a great potential but there has to be a way for we the people to be able to train it with simple comands, i think that if siri could bring you food, that would be great, but as of right now i wouldnt even ask for directions

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
This is an interesting step for Google. Down the road, when they've got the driverless vehicles figured out (Waymo) and made them delivery vehicles they can just cut out these delivery companies without the users even knowing - rather Amazonian in process.

Xirian

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
I’ve decided..for now lol to go with apple for mobile and google for the home. I’m really hoping that apple has some truly amazing stuff to show with Siri this year.
I had Google home minis in every room and had to return them because they would reply in the wrong room (and the way my apartment is set up there's no way the one in my mom's room heard me from my bedroom).

I switched to echo dots and one echo and besides the occasional outage where Alexa turns into an idiot I'm happier with Alexa.

Reactions: mattopotamus

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I had Google home minis in every room and had to return them because they would reply in the wrong room (and the way my apartment is set up there's no way the one in my mom's room heard me from my bedroom).

I switched to echo dots and one echo and besides the occasional outage where Alexa turns into an idiot I'm happier with Alexa.

Similar story here. Have a house full of dots/shows/fire cube. The right device always picks up my voice

Ronald C Schoedel III

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2016
Utah
This is an interesting step for Google. Down the road, when they've got the driverless vehicles figured out (Waymo) and made them delivery vehicles they can just cut out these delivery companies without the users even knowing - rather Amazonian in process.
This is absolutely their end game. Just as Uber and Lyft want to eliminate drivers. But lots of baby steps and before you know it, a decade later you’ve got a huge leap.

Zachari

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Washington, DC
I’ve decided..for now lol to go with apple for mobile and google for the home. I’m really hoping that apple has some truly amazing stuff to show with Siri this year.

I’m in the same boat. Unfortunately I’ve been waiting for way to long to trust that Apple will get their **** together in regards to Siri.

Reactions: Kirko7

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I wish Apple could find a method to offer Siri with options for privacy that would allow functionality like Google assistant for those who want to stay in Apple eco system, like me, while also allowing being locked down for those who want it. You know, give the customer choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.