Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The team behind Pixelmator Pro today released a major update for the photo editing app, introducing useful new capabilities that make it easier than ever to edit your photos.

There's now a Pixelmator Pro editing extension for the built-in Photos app on the Mac, which includes all of the tools and features from the full Pixelmator Pro app.

pixelmatorproeditingextension-800x450.jpg

With the extension, you can make edits to your photos using the tools from Pixelmator Pro without having to leave the Photos app. This makes for a more streamlined editing workflow when you're working with images stored within the Photos app.

Pixelmator Pro documents are also now able to be saved to the Photos app, and iCloud sync is supported for Pixelmator Pro documents saved to Photos.

Along with an editing extension for Photos, today's Pixelmator Pro update adds a new Zoom Tool for zooming into and panning around images more easily. The Crop tool also now features a Delete mode, the ability to crop to custom pixel sizes, and redesigned crop presets.

There are a whole range of other smaller updates and tweaks in Pixelmator Pro, listed on the Pixelmator Pro website.

Pixelmator Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $39.99. The update is free for existing customers. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Pro Gains Photos Editing Extension, New Zoom Tool, Updated Crop Tool and More

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I look forward to updating tonight when I get home.

I'm still waiting on the ML Color Matching to come to Pixelmator Photo on the iPad as promised, though.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This was the outcome I anticipated when Aperture was dropped by Apple and they started from scratch with Photos.

The Photos app was a part of an all new platform, not just an app. The Photos app itself was for general users with more advanced editing within the app itself. For professional photo editing, Apple introduced an editing extension API, which Pixelmator is taking advantage of.

This comes close to replacing Aperture for most consumers and prosumers. With the Pixelmator extension you have something approximating Photoshop’s most used editing capabilities and virtually all of Lightroom’s. Well ahead of where Aperture left off.

What’s still missing is a way to manage very large events which can often go beyond 3000 photos for a wedding. An update to Photos to manage separate work and personal libraries would solve this.

What I said in 2015:

The Photos.app isn't just an app, it's a platform at the operating system level. With extensions featuring large in iOS and with devs already taking advantage, it's clear what this will mean for Photos on OSX.

Apple will build a very capable photos organizing and editing tool whose library any external app can access. If you're a semi pro, the native organizing and editing tools might be enough. If you need more, you can get an app or an extension that satisfies your additional needs.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-photos-app-not-just-an-app-its-a-platform.1840884/

Last edited:

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
I'd like to know how to work this into my workflow. Currently I use LR to import photos, select which ones I'd like to edit, edit them accordingly, export edited photos to my desktop, import them into appropriate albums in Photos, then delete the files from my desktop and LR.

If using only the Photos app, how do I select images to edit, then delete the rest? I've always used Photos (and iPhoto) as nothing more than a library to store edited images.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Great update to an already outstanding app.

Screw Abode and their thirsty subscriptions and bundling.

Reactions: Xyth

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'd like to know how to work this into my workflow. Currently I use LR to import photos, select which ones I'd like to edit, edit them accordingly, export edited photos to my desktop, import them into appropriate albums in Photos, then delete the files from my desktop and LR.

If using only the Photos app, how do I select images to edit, then delete the rest? I've always used Photos (and iPhoto) as nothing more than a library to store edited images.

That’s not the most efficient or safe workflow. Seems inefficient to go through all those additional steps and you’re not considering the future. You should never delete your originals. Lightroom is non destructive but the photos you export are now fixed and cannot be reverted to the original state in the future when your editing skill inevitably improves and your style changes. I’ve gone back and re-edited photos from the beginning of my career and made them look so much better.

If you don’t want to keep a Lightroom library, then perhaps you have a chance now to get rid of it entirely and do all of your editing in Photos.

1. Import your originals into Photos.
2. Flag the ones you want to edit (maybe Fav them).
3. a) Edit with Photos’ editing tools which really do have almost anything you’ll need.
3. b) If you want to do more in depth editing, hit the (...) button to edit with an extension and choose Pixelmator. Make your adjustments there and save.

You’ll have your non destructive edits done on your original file and you can always go back and make further adjustments or reset it entirely.

Last edited:

AdamJD

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
These guys have been saying text on a curve is coming for YEARS. Love the original app, but still hoping for that one feature.

ultradk

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2009
Denmark
This was the outcome I anticipated when Aperture was dropped by Apple and they started from scratch with Photos.

The Photos app was a part of an all new platform, not just an app. The Photos app itself was for general users with more advanced editing within the app itself. For professional photo editing, Apple introduced an editing extension API, which Pixelmator is taking advantage of.

This comes close to replacing Aperture for most consumers and prosumers. With the Pixelmator extension you have something approximating Photoshop’s most used editing capabilities and virtually all of Lightroom’s. Well ahead of where Aperture left off.

What’s still missing is a way to manage very large events which can often go beyond 3000 photos for a wedding. An update to Photos to manage separate work and personal libraries would solve this.

What I said in 2015:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-photos-app-not-just-an-app-its-a-platform.1840884/
I am restoring old negatives and dias and I really looking for something that could be useful instead of Aperture since it's over.. Will Pixelmator Pro do the job or maybe their Pixelmator photo is coming for Mac?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I am restoring old negatives and dias and I really looking for something that could be useful instead of Aperture since it's over.. Will Pixelmator Pro do the job or maybe their Pixelmator photo is coming for Mac?

Pixelmator Pro is for Mac.

I’m thinking of doing the same, scanning all of my negatives into the Photos app. I imagine that Photos’ editing tools will be enough but if I need more in depth editing, I’d use the Pixelmator Pro extension.

ultradk

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2009
Denmark
Pixelmator Pro is for Mac.

I’m thinking of doing the same, scanning all of my negatives into the Photos app. I imagine that Photos’ editing tools will be enough but if I need more in depth editing, I’d use the Pixelmator Pro extension.
I am aware that Pixelmator Pro is for Mac, I am already using Pixelmator but but find it hard to use with scanning (negatives/dias) most of what I had is from my childhood in the 70's and Aperture has done it ok for me.. but not doing anything at the moment because I simply wait for what is next.. Therefor I was thinking, Pixelmator Photo (if it's coming to Mac) or simply go for Pixelmator Pro? I just think Pixelmator Pro is for lots of other stuff, than just fixing old photos..

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
To clarify, all original RAW files are organized and backed up on two separate external drives so I always have access to them if need be like in your scenario where I'd revisit old images.

I do not keep a LR library. Like I said, I import, edit, and export images from LR and store edited images in Photos. LR is just the middleman and is cleaned up after files are edited. I don't need/want the original file stored on my machine. That takes up unnecessary storage space. Is there a way to save only the edited file and delete the original?

That’s not the most efficient or safe workflow. Seems inefficient to go through all those additional steps and you’re not considering the future. You should never delete your originals. Lightroom is non destructive but the photos you export are now fixed and cannot be reverted to the original state in the future when your editing skill inevitably improves and your style changes. I’ve gone back and re-edited photos from the beginning of my career and made them look so much better.

If you don’t want to keep a Lightroom library, then perhaps you have a chance now to get rid of it entirely and do all of your editing in Photos.

1. Import your originals into Photos.
2. Flag the ones you want to edit (maybe Fav them).
3. a) Edit with Photos’ editing tools which really do have almost anything you’ll need.
3. b) If you want to do more in depth editing, hit the (...) button to edit with an extension and choose Pixelmator. Make your adjustments there and save.

You’ll have your non destructive edits done on your original file and you can always go back and make further adjustments or reset it entirely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.