Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to have ended U.S. online sales of its 'Designed By Apple in California' book, which chronicles 20 years of Apple product designs through 450 photographs.

designed-book-2.jpg

A minisite dedicated to the book is still live on Apple's servers, but links to buy the book from Apple's online U.S. store have become dead ends. A search for the book on the online store and the Apple Store app also return no results.

Stocks of the hardback book have been fluctuating since around June, suggesting Apple has been reducing print numbers for some weeks. In some other countries, the book is still available through Apple's regional online stores, but stock still appears to be dwindling.

Released in 2016 in two sizes priced at $199 and $299, the publication covers product designs from the iMac in 1998 to the Apple Pencil in 2015, and "also documents the materials and techniques used by Apple's design team over two decades of innovation." It is dedicated in the memory of former Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

A video starring Jony Ive accompanies the book on Apple's minisite. If that gets removed, the video should still be available on YouTube.

Article Link: 'Designed by Apple in California' Book No Longer Available on Apple's Online US Store

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Part of Sir Jonathan Ive’s phased departure from Apple, I presume.

End of an (amazing) era.

I’m glad I bought a copy; I expected the print run to be short and that it would sell out very quickly (perhaps it still was, but copies didn’t sell in particularly high volumes?).

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
that book is a testament to what many people think is wrong with apple products- it's all about how they look.

Reactions: Morod

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
I kinda wish I had this on my bookshelf to be honest.

I do feel very lucky to have it. The smaller size. It is a ridiculous, but beautiful thing

o_O

You can get a large audience together for a strip-tease act-that is, to watch a girl undress on the stage. Now suppose you came to a country where you could fill a theatre by simply bringing a covered plate on to the stage and then slowly lifting the cover so as to let every one see, just before the lights went out, that it contained a mutton chop or a bit of bacon, would you not think that in that country something had gone wrong with the appetite for food? And would not anyone who had grown up in a different world think there was something equally queer about the state of the sex instinct among us?
- C.S. Lewis​

Apple has trained you well. :rolleyes:

I genuinely worry (not too much - because I'm much more concerned with tending to my own garden - but enough) about such attitudes.

Jony Ive's vanity project can wipe my butt, for all I care.

Reactions: decypher44

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
that book is a testament to what many people think is wrong with apple products- it's all about how they look.
And thats part of the reason they are the most profitable and valuable company on the planet. You really don't understand that good design has mass appeal?

The "many" that think thats what wrong with Apple is not "many" at all. Its a few loud ones who have no clue about how to mass market products in a very profitable way.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
o_O

You can get a large audience together for a strip-tease act-that is, to watch a girl undress on the stage. Now suppose you came to a country where you could fill a theatre by simply bringing a covered plate on to the stage and then slowly lifting the cover so as to let every one see, just before the lights went out, that it contained a mutton chop or a bit of bacon, would you not think that in that country something had gone wrong with the appetite for food? And would not anyone who had grown up in a different world think there was something equally queer about the state of the sex instinct among us?
- C.S. Lewis​

I genuinely worry (not too much - because I'm much more concerned with tending to my own garden - but enough) about such attitudes.

I'd suggest you just keep focusing on the garden, as your societal concern is misplaced.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London

except... the iPhone / iPad A chips are way faster than the competition.
[doublepost=1566485983][/doublepost]
o_O

A clearly well thought out as your comment wasn’t... you are clearly a gardener and NOT a designer. I’ve bought design books that cost this and more. Nothing to do with Apple.

I genuinely worry that you genuinely worry about what you think about other people’s likes.

I suspect you may have bought things for your garden that I would want to “wipe my butt” on too. Also why are you even on this forum?

Just to niggle you some more I’ve just bought one on the UK site as it’s still available. £170.

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
I might've been tempted to buy this book, despite the high price tag, if it wasn't *ONLY* photographs.
A few paragraphs accompanying each product would've gone a long way to making it more attractive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.