Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of tvOS 13, Apple brought new features like Apple Arcade to Apple TV as well as a number of changes to the set-top box's interface. One of those changes includes autoplaying trailers on the Home screen.

how-to-stop-autoplaying-videos-apple-tv2.jpg

The new content previews on the Home screen make interacting with your Apple TV a little different. For example, in previous tvOS versions, using the Siri Remote to highlight Apple's TV app would make your Up Next queue appear in the Top Shelf of the Home screen. Now, it plays video trailers advertising content available on the iTunes Store.

This is similar to what you'd expect to see on Netflix, which routinely auto-plays trailers in the hope that it will help you discover content more easily. Not everyone wants to see the same behavior on their Apple TV though, and the good news is that you can turn it off with an option buried in the device's settings.

1. Launch the Settings app on your Apple TV.
  2. Select General -> Accessibility -> Motion.
  3. Toggle off the switch for Auto-Play Video Previews.
apple-tv-turn-off-autoplay-trailers.jpg

You can also move the TV app from the top row of the your Apple TV's Home screen and the videos should stop autoplaying. To do so, hover the selector over the TV app, then click and hold down on the Remote's touch surface for a couple of seconds.

The app icon will start jiggling, at which point you can swipe to place it where you want. Simply click the touch surface again once you have moved the TV app from the top row to another location.

Article Link: How to Disable Auto-Playing Video Previews on Apple TV

Shirohana

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
Awful design choice to add this, but even worse is the music app now playing videos in the top bar, which are both annoying and uninteresting to me, instead of showing newly added albums and now playing as it used to.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Without the option to turn this off I simply would not have ever updated my AppleTV. That is how much I loathe it. Good for Apple for providing a better choice on the matter than Netflix (i.e. providing a choice at all!).

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Is it possible to remove the ugly white text and box superimposed on top of the video preview? It looks very ugly like an unfinished feature.

tvOS-13-5.jpg

Reactions: jimthing

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I had an older-gen AppleTV for years and felt the overall implementation was solid, from hardware to software.

Just upgraded to latest AppleTV 4K (but no 4K TV), and noticed an immediately downgrade in the overall experience. And tvOS 12 (when I bought it) was more difficult to use and slower to respond. tvOS 13 did improve upon that, though.

But I'm still wondering if Apple is doing a proper evaluation of their roll-outs to make sure they're not going backwards in some areas?

I've become accustomed to tvOS 13 now, and the fact that the TV turns on automatically with the new AppleTV, there are definite improvements that make up for the shortcomings.

I'm glad that Apple has added options to disable some of these auto-play features, as the content on-screen is still slow to load, even though I have a 25Mb connection here. Feels sluggish overall. Disabling auto-play might improve that, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: neliason

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!

now how do I get Netflix to disable these?

Better yet, how do we get Netflix to rewrite their terrible app? Anyone else notice how slow and clunky it’s become? Taking longer and longer to load too.

Better still, cancel Netflix after seeing El Camino.

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!

now how do I get Netflix to disable these?
I propose someone start an anti-netflix-preview movement that calls on millions od subscribers to cancel on Feb. 1st 2020. then resubscribe on Mar. 1st 2020. The income shock will send a message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.