Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today announced that Amazon Music users without an Amazon Prime membership or a subscription to Amazon Music Unlimited can listen to an ad-supported selection of playlists and radio stations for free on iOS devices.

Amazon has been offering free music access on its Echo devices, but is today expanding that access to the iPhone and iPad along with Android and Fire TV devices. Free Amazon music is also available on the web.

amazonmusic-800x447.jpg

Amazon Music does not require any subscriptions or credit/debit cards, and it is available in the United States, United Kingdom, and Germany.

According to Amazon, users can play thousands of stations based on "any song, artist, era, and genre." Some of the playlists include "All Hits," "Fuego Latino," and "Holiday Favorites."

Amazon Music is designed for those without an existing Amazon subscription, as there are already benefits for Amazon Prime member and those who subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited.

Prime members can access a catalog of more than two million songs along with thousands of playlists and stations without ads, while Amazon Music Unlimited provides access to 50 million songs.

The Amazon Music app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon Offers Free Ad-Supported Music Through Amazon Music App on iOS

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
I definitely like how Amazon is platform agnostic but I don’t like Amazon’s business practices and their music and video software all seem half baked.

They manage to implement neat features like lyrics but then the service as a whole lags behind the competition.

Reactions: Ntombi

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Heck no. I don’t need 200GB of storage and am happy with 50GB. However, I have music in my library you either can’t get anymore or isn’t on iTunes/Apple Music.
So you rather pay $37/year ($25/year for iTunes Match and $12/year) to get 50 GB storage instead of paying $36/year for 200 GB?

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I want less subscriptions in my life and I'm willing to put up with more ads for less subscriptions.

Cannot beat free but I am sure with the ads and what a user is listening pays for the service. Amazon already tracks what users purchase, watch and listen with Prime so getting something free with ads is not too bad.

Reactions: gatorvet96

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
I wish Apple would do this. Market share is important in music streaming, as people share playlists, songs, etc. Apple Music’s Achilles heel is that it’s totally inaccessible to people who don’t subscribe. Which limits sharing, which stifles growth. They’re being stubborn and it’s hurting existing users, who are stuck with a platform that’s not growing and isn’t easy to share. And their base could shrink rapidly if people start to see how much easier other platforms are to use with friends & family.

Reactions: NMBob

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Amazon is desperately trying to be relevant

I did the free trial of amazon music unlimited via the echo deal, and I like amazon music better than spotify and apple music. We get Apple Music for free via Verizon, so goodbye amazon music unlimited.

I liked amazon's playlists and recommendations better. Apple Music is a mess, and they should break it out of the music app. Spotify for me is meh.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
You mean Amazon Music? Because Amazon is already VERY relevant.
Yep. I was referring to music
[automerge]1574143355[/automerge]
I did the free trial of amazon music unlimited via the echo deal, and I like amazon music better than spotify and apple music. We get Apple Music for free via Verizon, so goodbye amazon music unlimited.

I liked amazon's playlists and recommendations better. Apple Music is a mess, and they should break it out of the music app. Spotify for me is meh.
Quite a different experience for me. Spotify is just ok, but Apple Music is better integrated in my Apple ecosystem. Being an Amazon prime subscriber, I tried amazon music and it is a mess. And Amazon just like google is far too aggressive in profiling customers for ads.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

klerke

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Amazon and free? Nope that **** is just data mining your ass for its AI. You’re offering your data for free.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Amazon and free? Nope that **** is just data mining your ass for its AI. You’re offering your data for free.

Seems you can only skip the song so many times and a playlist is available. The data mining is very poor in its present implementation.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I don’t get it. ”Ad supported”? So what are they offering? Seems like nothing. Why not get ad supported free Spotify? Did I miss that this is their high quality tier? That might make sense and would beat Spotify free

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Apple should retire iTunes Match by bundling it as a standard feature on 200 GB and 2 TB iCloud storage plans (and use storage space).

iTunes Match should definitely be taken out to pasture. It absolutely ruined the iTunes library I spent over a decade carefully curating. A nightmare that still lingers today.

Prob my least favorite piece of Apple magic

Reactions: SantaFeNM

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Doesn't seem to be working for me. I selected a station and it only gives me the option "try". If I say no thanks nothing plays. Delete app. ?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
For all the years I have been a Prime member, I have not once used their music streaming service. I think I'll keep it that way since I usually subscribe to Spotify or Apple Music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.