Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its website to reflect that its annual extended holiday return policy is now active. Items purchased from the Apple Online Store received between November 15, 2019 and December 25, 2019 can be returned through January 8, 2020.

These dates apply to the United States and multiple other countries, but there are some countries where the return periods are different, so it's worth looking into if you plan to buy an Apple gift during the holidays.

apple-gift-wrap-800x497.jpg

In Spain, for example, Apple is allowing holiday returns until January 20, 2020 for items purchased between November 15, 2019 and January 6, 2020.
Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 15, 2019 and December 25, 2019, may be returned through January 8, 2020. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased. All purchases made after December 25, 2019, are subject to the Standard Return Policy.
There are some items that are excluded from the return policy, such as Apple and App Store gift cards. Aside from that, most products can be returned, including iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and more. Purchased devices can be opened and used prior to being returned, but they must be in their original packaging.

With holiday purchases, it's a good idea to hold on to a receipt when buying from Apple.com or an Apple retail store to make sure that your purchase falls within the timeframe of the extended holiday period.

Purchases made prior to November 15, 2019 or after December 25, 2019 will be subject to the standard 14 day return policy.

Article Link: Apple Launches Extended Holiday Return Policy, Return Deadline Set for January 8, 2020

Last edited:

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
I'm glad they made the start date the 15th, which was the launch day for the 16".

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
FYI if you purchased your 16” MBP on the 13th and received it on the 15th or later you are still eligible for the Holiday Return period. It’s based on the day you received the item, not the day you actually ordered it online.

Reactions: kazmac and IG88

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
FYI if you purchased your 16” MBP on the 13th and received it on the 15th or later you are still eligible for the Holiday Return period. It’s based on the day you received the item, not the day you actually ordered it online.
Technically, it’s based on when your credit card was charged which is the day it SHIPS! Not the day you receive it! Managers at Apple Stores can make return exceptions and they usually will if you can show them the date it was received/picked up from the mail carrier.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Technically, it’s based on when your credit card was charged which is the day it SHIPS! Not the day you receive it! Managers at Apple Stores can make return exceptions and they usually will if you can show them the date it was received/picked up from the mail carrier.

Nope. My card was charged on the 14th, which is the day my 16” MBP shipped. I just checked my return window and if i was returning the MBP it would have to be returned by Jan 8th.

And even under Apple’s normal return policy, the 14 day window starts the day you receive the item not the day it ships. Not sure where you got your information but it is WRONG!

Reactions: IG88

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008

Not sure about that. It may be different in other countries, but I'm pretty sure here in Germany, the day of receiving the item counts. Just think about (rare, but possible) cases when parcels are lost and arrive very late, one week or so after posting ... Would reduce your (normal) give-back time to half or more ...

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Not sure about that. It may be different in other countries, but I'm pretty sure here in Germany, the day of receiving the item counts. Just think about (rare, but possible) cases when parcels are lost and arrive very late, one week or so after posting ... Would reduce your (normal) give-back time to half or more ...

He isn’t right, not sure where he got his info. Even under normal returns with Apple the 14 day period starts the day you receive the item not the day it ships.

Reactions: lars666

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
In the UK, a friend ordered Pro Max on 18th Nov and return window is until 3rd December. No extended return for that order?

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Never used this service, so you can return something even if used? As long as it’s in good condition with original box?

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
He isn’t right, not sure where he got his info. Even under normal returns with Apple the 14 day period starts the day you receive the item not the day it ships.
My last invoice for an item that I shipped - not an in-store pickup - shows the order date and the invoice date. The invoice date is when it was charged, ie when it was shipped. Delivery was actually the next day but the invoice does not say anything about delivery date. So how would Apple know when it was “received”?
And what does “received” mean?
What if the carrier tried to deliver at my home and I’m not there and they try the next day and I’m still not there and I change pickup to the carrier warehouse and I pick it up 5 days later? It was received BY ME a week later it was first delivered. Which date is used to count the 14 days return policy?
I’m just saying the “received” date is very subjective.
[automerge]1574291255[/automerge]
Nope. My card was charged on the 14th, which is the day my 16” MBP shipped. I just checked my return window and if i was returning the MBP it would have to be returned by Jan 8th.

And even under Apple’s normal return policy, the 14 day window starts the day you receive the item not the day it ships. Not sure where you got your information but it is WRONG!
Where do you see the return date/window on your invoice? It does not show on my invoices (USA)

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
My last invoice for an item that I shipped - not an in-store pickup - shows the order date and the invoice date. The invoice date is when it was charged, ie when it was shipped. Delivery was actually the next day but the invoice does not say anything about delivery date. So how would Apple know when it was “received”?
What if the carrier tried to deliver at my home and I’m not there and they try the next day and I’m still not there and I change pickup to the carrier warehouse and I pick it up 5 days later? It was received BY ME a week later it was first delivered. Which date is used to count the 14 days return policy?

It is received when you've signed for it. And yes – if you pick up your parcel five days later (because you were not home when they tried to deliver it or whatever), your 14 day return policy gets those five days "credited".

Reactions: IG88

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I just checked my return window and if i was returning the MBP it would have to be returned by Jan 8th.
How do you check the return window?

Edit: just checked it through the Apple store app. I have until Jan 8th like you said. And my card was charged on the 14th since that's when it shipped.

You are correct, it's based on the day you received it, not the day your card was charged or the day you ordered it.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
[automerge]1574291255[/automerge]

Where do you see the return date/window on your invoice? It does not show on my invoices (USA)

The day that they try to deliver it is the day the return period starts. So if a delivery is attempted and you aren't there to sign for it the delivery period still starts that day. If you wait 7 days to go pick the item up from the FedEx or wherever then you'll have 7 days to return it. Apple knows exactly when the item was delivered or attempted to be delivered and that's when the return period starts.

Also if you start a return for an item you've ordered you can see when the return has to be started by, which is your last day to return the product. You don't have to go through the whole return process to see when that date is.

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
so I ordered it online on the 14th November and I received it on the 15th, the guy in apple store said so you cannot get extended because you bought it on the 14th?

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Spoke to apple onlinevia phone

they said its purchased between 15th

they said the delivery is only applied to the 14 days

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Does it matter if you buy and item on store? Or does it have to be on line to qualify for the extended holiday return policy?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Does it matter if you buy and item on store? Or does it have to be on line to qualify for the extended holiday return policy?
Doesn’t matter, you still qualify for an extended holiday returns on in-store Purchases. It will say on the receipt when you can return the items by and will state 1/8/20.

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
Doesn’t matter, you still qualify for an extended holiday returns on in-store Purchases. It will say on the receipt when you can return the items by and will state 1/8/20.
It is odd, even if true, that they make a specific point on the website to say “purchases made online” when I know previously years that it didn’t include that verbiage...and, I believe, at least here in Canada when I checked two days ago, this year has a different section of that section of the webpage (Apple Store is down currently so can’t check this second again) between online and physical store returns.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
It is odd, even if true, that they make a specific point on the website to say “purchases made online” when I know previously years that it didn’t include that verbiage...and, I believe, at least here in Canada when I checked two days ago, this year has a different section of that section of the webpage (Apple Store is down currently so can’t check this second again) between online and physical store returns.
Yeah I think there is a difference this year. Online = 8 Jan. I’m store traditional 2 week. Because I just bought a 16 in store and the lady repeatedly said I have two weeks to rerun !! ;(

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Yeah I think there is a difference this year. Online = 8 Jan. I’m store traditional 2 week. Because I just bought a 16 in store and the lady repeatedly said I have two weeks to rerun !! ;(

apple people are the most dumbest workers I have seen, I just bought mine and my return says 8th jan in store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.