Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Apparently Apple isn't the only one with battery problems these days, Dell is recalling 4.1 million of their Notebooks because the Lithium-Ion batteries can catch on fire. The span is starting from April 2004 and continues through last month's shipments. I personally don't really care for Dells but certainly am not one of the Dell-bashers that exist on this thread, my brother has a Dell from a few years ago that hasn't had many problems (other than being windows based but that not their fault quality wise) but that certainly isn't good... Plus it shows other people make mistakes too :)

Link.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
rockthecasbah said:
Apparently Apple isn't the only one with battery problems these days, Dell is recalling 4.1 million of their Notebooks because the Lithium-Ion batteries can catch on fire. The span is starting from April 2004 and continues through last month's shipments. I personally don't really care for Dells but certainly am not one of the Dell-bashers that exist on this thread, my brother has a Dell from a few years ago that hasn't had many problems (other than being windows based but that not their fault quality wise) but that certainly isn't good... Plus it shows other people make mistakes too :)

Link.

Ah, Dell.......I won't even start on that computer company. :rolleyes: :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think Sony isn't too happy since they're Dell's supplier for those batteries and have to replace them.

It reminds me of the problem with Apple's PowerBook 5300, I believe. It was their first venture with Lithium Ion batteries and they quickly returned to NiMH batteries.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
News had some dude from the west who's truck was caught on fire by one of these this morning. Less then a yr old. Lets be honest though, Dell doesnt make its own batteries just as Apple doesnt.

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
from the cnn.com article:

The batteries are also used by other computer makers, including Apple Computer Inc. (Charts), which said it was looking into the issue.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
slackersonly said:
The batteries are also used by other computer makers, including Apple Computer Inc. (Charts), which said it was looking into the issue.

Yeah, no point panning Dell or any other OEM for this... it's a battery manufacturer issue....

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
You know apple did a recall on batteries, but no worries about them bursting in flames :D :D :D Does this have anything to do with that video that has been circulating around the web? Where these Japanese people witnessed it explode? Because I heard on the news this morning about this, saying the recall is to prevent malfunction and catching on fire :eek:

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Ha, my dad's laptop qualifies. It could "explode" according to the alert. As if it wouldn't already... :rolleyes:

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
KingYaba said:
You know apple did a recall on batteries, but no worries about them bursting in flames :D :D :D Does this have anything to do with that video that has been circulating around the web? Where these Japanese people witnessed it explode? Because I heard on the news this morning about this, saying the recall is to prevent malfunction and catching on fire :eek:
Apple's Battery Exchange on the MacBook Pro was cited as "performance issues" not "safety issues" as Dell's are for.

So far, so good for the MBP batteries on safety, but since Dell's recalled models date back to 2004, it's the older PowerBooks that also need to be kept an eye on. I have seen a few reports of PowerBooks having problems with fires and explosions recently too and remember the last Battery Exchange from Apple was a year ago on PowerBooks, that time citing "safety issues".

Apple are far from clear from these problems. I'll have to go now, my MacBook pro is on fire as I type this. ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wonder if this will effect Sony notebooks. IT is setting up my new SZ as we speak.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
KingYaba said:
You know apple did a recall on batteries, but no worries about them bursting in flames :D :D :D
it happens....
pbfire3.jpg

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
That doesn't look like it came from the battery.
And as far as Sony goes, I'm pretty sure they don't make Apple's batteries (anymore anyway, I think they made the one for the 5300). I wonder hpw many batteries Apple has recalled going back to April '04. I doubt it's anywhere near this many total, or percentage of shipped units.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Yeah, work was fun this week, running around trying to recover these batteries. Luckily only 6 or 7 of our laptops were affected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.