Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

combres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
So i followed another forum's procedure on buring a win2k cd with the NTDETECT.com from a winxp CD and putting it in the i386 folder to get past the hardware configuartion problem when trying to boot off the cd.

Anyways, got win2k up and running. I was able to get around the bootcamp driver cd (it doesn't like not deteching xp) as well by decompressing it then reburning the cd.

The problem is I don't know what drivers on the CD are for what on the macbook.

I got the Intel chipset and intel graphics card driver to work, but there is still one usb yellow exclamation point and a bunch of pci devices that still need drivers.

Does anyone have a list of what drivers to install on the bootcamp cd for the mcabook?

Also does anyone else have really bad mouse movement on win2k with the touchpad. It is almost like it has a delayed reaction and I have turned off acceleration and have put the speed a lot higher, but is almost unusable.

any help much appreciated.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
Wow, you took on a real challenge. The downside is that Win2k is the lack of driver resources that XP has. The good news is that many drivers for Win2k also work fine for XP. The other thing is that the BootCamp install of XP depends on a number of things especailly in SP2, which are not part of Win2k -- surprised you got as far as you have. Nice work. Keep us posted.

Also too, don't forget about Service Pack 4 for Win2K. Lots of upsides for 2K in there.

Cheers --- Bob -- ;)

combres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
I dunno about a challenge. I am pretty good technically with windows, and just took some fiddling to get it installed. I prefer win2k over xp since there is no pesky authentication and most of the drivers are the same. 2k and Xp are pretty much the same os, 2k is just stripped down.

There is a tutorial written about how to do it, well actually I had to reference both of these two sites. First one to figure out what the mac wanted as far as getting win 2k disc to be accepted, and the 2nd site in order to get my version of win 2k cd up to snuff with service pack4 already integrated, otherwise it will not install on the mac.

1. http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=1096
2. http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/

as for the drivers, hopefully someone will know what drivers to use for the macbook.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
Very interesting info there. But the first link would not work for me. I still have my original Win2K Pro disk and SP4 disk. Some day, when I get passed the Mac Pro BootCamp blues (soon we hope) --- I may give 2K a try. I use it for a couple of game servers I run on occasion here for Win-based games (I know, 99.99% of games are Win-based :rolleyes: ).

Just more interesting things to try, with time. Once you get "done" with the process, it will be interesting to see what functionality is missing....

Cheers -- Bob -- ;)

macmuze

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
Win 2000 --native ? via bootcamp

Combres;

Did your win 2000 install work out?

I have it up on a trial versio of VMware

But I'd like it to run faster... Can I get this to happen via the techniques you refer to?

I dunno about a challenge. I am pretty good technically with windows, and just took some fiddling to get it installed. I prefer win2k over xp since there is no pesky authentication and most of the drivers are the same. 2k and Xp are pretty much the same os, 2k is just stripped down.

There is a tutorial written about how to do it, well actually I had to reference both of these two sites. First one to figure out what the mac wanted as far as getting win 2k disc to be accepted, and the 2nd site in order to get my version of win 2k cd up to snuff with service pack4 already integrated, otherwise it will not install on the mac.

1. http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=1096
2. http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/

as for the drivers, hopefully someone will know what drivers to use for the macbook.

combres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Nah, never got it to work at that time. You should be able to find a cheap XP cd somewhere, I don't think microsoft is going to sell it much longer.

iAthena

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
USA
Nah, never got it to work at that time. You should be able to find a cheap XP cd somewhere, I don't think microsoft is going to sell it much longer.

I purchased a couple obsolete Dell workstations at the local college auction ($50 each!) because they came with a factory XP Pro install disk. I kept the XP CDs, the hard drives, the graphic cards, the CPUs and the RAM and chucked the rest. A lot of places fire sale their old workstations without monitors which make them "undesireable" to a lot of people that would like to buy a cheap computer.

Now I have XP disks for all of my Macs. :)

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I purchased a couple obsolete Dell workstations at the local college auction ($50 each!) because they came with a factory XP Pro install disk. I kept the XP CDs, the hard drives, the graphic cards, the CPUs and the RAM and chucked the rest. A lot of places fire sale their old workstations without monitors which make them "undesireable" to a lot of people that would like to buy a cheap computer.

Says a lot about Vista and its price!! :cool:

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK

Software licensing is a beeatch. After all that effort you probably still do not have a proper license for what you want to do. If these CDs are install CDs from OEMs, these licenses should "die" with the computer they original came from. I'm not calling the police so don't worry :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.